• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best low vis leader

I am curious as to what everybody uses for a good non bite off leader that is low visibility for the eye's when fishing in pike territory. Just tying to save some dollars especially when cranks can run $8 to $12 a pop!

Thanks

Fluoro for sure if you want to keep it low-vis. I'd go 12 lb+. That stuff is so transparent, your only real concern is keeping the diameter thin enough to avoid impairing the action of your presentation. The most important thing is to check for abrasions in the line after each catch, cut line above the abrasion, and retie.

Hello Angler, i use flouro 8-10# test, plus i make my own leaders i get 27# clear leader material with gold wire inside, and small down size brass barrel snap swivels gold color...and sleeves size a2c. buy a plyier squezzer too. Now in stain water this flouro line and this kind of leader is invisible in the water, and the northerns don't bother the leader. Use this set up for walleyes and a jig all the time. Perfect leader down size. I make 7", up too 13" leaders all the time, and bigger. Hope this helps. smile

I just use a good braided line and try to stay away from the fused stuff. If your spending that much on cranks I have found that the berkely's work excellent sometimes better than raps. They are plastic and don't seem to get so beat up from northern's. Usually 3 for ten to twelve bucks.

I've had leader-shy carp take 60lb fluoro when I forgot my regular carp leader at home (doh!). It's pretty invisible underwater.

Never been bit off by countless esox on 20 or 25lb fluoro, just inspect it for damage after every toothy fish and replace as needed. I have had a few years of unhooking pike and a few muskies that have had leader a few inches or more in the mouth scraping against teeth during the entire fight, not a single bite-off.

Haven't tested 12lb enough to know how well it protects, most of my pike I've caught on it haven't gotten the leader in the mouth.

I never run fluoro as a mainline, always just keep a few spools for leaders material and use a back-to-back uni to add 8-18 inches of leader.

I have been running the Berkley Nanofil direct tie to the plug in 8# and have had very few bite offs with this. The advantage is that it allows me to really feel the bait as I am working it back and whether it is fouled with weeds or if I feel the bait stop wobbling, I set the hook. Very few inhaled baits. I am running a 7 foot rod with a fast tip in medium action which allows me to feel the bait but also has enough backbone to deliver a solid hook set. I use a shimano symetre 2500 and with this setup you can cast a country mile allowing your bait to reach and stay in the strikezone longer on each cast. I have been experimenting this year with some of the micro cranks and have done quite well for bass, pike and walleyes without losing baits. You may still want to retie after catching a few toothy critters just to make sure you have the full strength of the line.

Tunrevir~