• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Virus protection

My dad was using AVG but after a recent update his computer was rendered useless until he formatted and reinstalled the operating system. Apparently one of the AVG updates was corrupt from what he could determine by doing some research on the problem.

More often than not you get what you pay for.

My dad was using AVG but after a recent update his computer was rendered useless until he formatted and reinstalled the operating system. Apparently one of the AVG updates was corrupt from what he could determine by doing some research on the problem.

More often than not you get what you pay for.

I agree but I have been paying one site and got a virus also.

I've always had good luck with AVG as well.

Speaking of virus protection..... here's an interesting read:

Hundreds of thousands may lose Internet in July; about 85,000 in US could be affected

By: Associated Press, INFORUM

WASHINGTON — For computer users, a few mouse clicks could mean the difference between staying online and losing Internet connections this summer. The U.S. has the most, about 85,000, federal authorities said.

WASHINGTON — For computer users, a few mouse clicks could mean the difference between staying online and losing Internet connections this summer.

Unknown to most of them, their problem began when international hackers ran an online advertising scam to take control of infected computers around the world. In a highly unusual response, the FBI set up a safety net months ago using government computers to prevent Internet disruptions for those infected users. But that system is to be shut down.

The FBI is encouraging users to visit a HSOforum run by its security partner, that will inform them whether they're infected and explain how to fix the problem. After July 9, infected users won't be able to connect to the Internet.

Most victims don't even know their computers have been infected, although the malicious software probably has slowed their web surfing and disabled their antivirus software, making their machines more vulnerable to other problems.

Last November, the FBI and other authorities were preparing to take down a hacker ring that had been running an Internet ad scam on a massive network of infected computers.

“We started to realize that we might have a little bit of a problem on our hands because ... if we just pulled the plug on their criminal infrastructure and threw everybody in jail, the victims of this were going to be without Internet service,” said Tom Grasso, an FBI supervisory special agent. “The average user would open up Internet Explorer and get ‘page not found’ and think the Internet is broken.”

On the night of the arrests, the agency brought in Paul Vixie, chairman and founder of Internet Systems Consortium, to install two Internet servers to take the place of the truckload of impounded rogue servers that infected computers were using. Federal officials planned to keep their servers online until March, giving everyone opportunity to clean their computers. But it wasn't enough time. A federal judge in New York extended the deadline until July.

Now, said Grasso, “the full court press is on to get people to address this problem.” And it's up to computer users to check their PCs.

This is what happened:

Hackers infected a network of probably more than 570,000 computers worldwide. They took advantage of vulnerabilities in the Microsoft Windows operating system to install malicious software on the victim computers. This turned off antivirus updates and changed the way the computers reconcile HSOforum addresses behind the scenes on the Internet's domain name system.

The DNS system is a network of servers that translates a web address — such as www.ap.org — into the numerical addresses that computers use. Victim computers were reprogrammed to use rogue DNS servers owned by the attackers. This allowed the attackers to redirect computers to fraudulent versions of any HSOforum.

The hackers earned profits from advertisements that appeared on websites that victims were tricked into visiting. The scam netted the hackers at least $14 million, according to the FBI. It also made thousands of computers reliant on the rogue servers for their Internet browsing.

When the FBI and others arrested six Estonians last November, the agency replaced the rogue servers with Vixie's clean ones. Installing and running the two substitute servers for eight months is costing the federal government about $87,000.

The number of victims is hard to pinpoint, but the FBI believes that on the day of the arrests, at least 568,000 unique Internet addresses were using the rogue servers. Five months later, FBI estimates that the number is down to at least 360,000. The U.S. has the most, about 85,000, federal authorities said. Other countries with more than 20,000 each include Italy, India, England and Germany. Smaller numbers are online in Spain, France, Canada, China and Mexico.

Vixie said most of the victims are probably individual home users, rather than corporations that have technology staffs who routinely check the computers.

FBI officials said they organized an unusual system to avoid any appearance of government intrusion into the Internet or private computers. And while this is the first time the FBI used it, it won't be the last.

“This is the future of what we will be doing,” said Eric Strom, a unit chief in the FBI's Cyber Division. “Until there is a change in legal system, both inside and outside the United States, to get up to speed with the cyber problem, we will have to go down these paths, trail-blazing if you will, on these types of investigations.”

Now, he said, every time the agency gets near the end of a cyber case, “we get to the point where we say, how are we going to do this, how are we going to clean the system” without creating a bigger mess than before.

Just a bit of an FYI for Mac users. Not trying to start a nasty debate, just put out the info.

They are finding the Mac to not be nearly as impervious to Virus/spyware/malware as some think and as they are becoming more popular the attacks are becoming more prevalent.

Mac Security

I've been using AVG for several years now and the only time I've had issues is if I didn't do an update. I tried Avast for a while and didn't like the thing popping up and asking me to purchase the "Better" version so I went back to AVG 2012. I've never had a virus with AVG use to get them all the time with Norton. I also use CC cleaner,Malwarebytes and Smart dfrag 2 on a regular basis to keep everything fresh.I run windows XP Pro and have no interest in changing unless the bugs get to bad after MS stop supporting it.

AVG Free here also configured to autoscan the whole computer once a week. Been using it for years without issues. Also use Ccleaner, Spybot, and Lavasoft manually running scans monthly along with an anti-rootkit scan using AVG.

I know you said free, but just go with ESET Smart Security 5. You get AV, Firewall, Integrated email and lots of other stuff. It updates automatically and doesn't hog resources.

Its rated in the top 2 i believe overall.

I've had it on both computers for 6 or 7 years and never had a virus related issue.

I know you said free, but just go with ESET Smart Security 5. You get AV, Firewall, Integrated email and lots of other stuff. It updates automatically and doesn't hog resources.

I've had it on both computers for 6 or 7 years and never had a virus related issue.

+1 for ESET - Like he said it's not free but I've tried all the free ones and always went back to ESET. It's the only one I've ever wanted to pay for and I haven't noticed it affect performance on my devices.

I cant remember price, but i renewed for two year package and you can use the license on two pc's for the same price too.

I heard the 93x computer guy saying that unless you are doing a lot of web stuff and going to less-than-trustworthy websites, the two main free anti-virus programs will work just fine: AVG or Microsoft Security Essentials.

Sure...that's why the state shut down the DNR HSOforum during the shutdown. Reason being hackers could jack the site and none would be there to clear the problem. They can install aware or trans on any site the want to hack...

Not just the undesirable ones.

Its only good until you catch a worm and then you either loose something or you have to wipe the drive. Ti some pick of mind is worth $40 per year that covet 2 computers with AV and firewall.

My personal PC's have both AVG 2012 Internet Security Pro and MalwareBytes Pro, along with any additional or free download-able Microsoft apps or programs.

I would say that what most do not do and should be done with any free or paid security software is after the installation, go into setting and configurations and setup the security features based on how and what you do on the web. Do not just install and run using only the default settings.

When it comes to paid software, just make sure you check up on the software and make sure you are not paying for something less than the popular free options give out at no charge. Mainly, make sure the software you are installing is not stealing (not really stealing as you will agree to this when click-whipping through the terms of use) or feeding back your online usage records for additional revenue in their pocket. I believe Norton has had a past of doing this.

Also you want your security to be strong but this does not been strangle. Avast embeds itself so deeply within your PC's system once installed that it owns ports and certain areas within your PC. Even after a an extensive and proper removal, it still owns and has access to these ports and areas. Why? So Avast can comeback into your PC, for months after, to do a so-called post un-install verification scan whenever it feels like doing so at anytime and as long as it wants. Then it takes re-installing of the OS to fully remove Avast. Norton is even worse with integration and embedding within your OS. Your security software should have the proper privileges it needs, but should never own anything IMO. I also like to set it up where admin users have the final say with removal of anything.

It's true that even secure and websites not pron to infestation of mal-ware and spyware can and will pick up hitch-hikers along the way. Besides downloads, the websites you want to watch the most are the ones which require new members or visitors to under go a "Security Check", click and agree to any terms and even sites using https, because these are sites you may have just given unconditional permission allowing them access to data or to track your online presence via cookie and resell this data for a profit.