• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

TEAM 8 - "TURKEYSNIPERS"

featherslayer 1

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you know someone who needs an ornery gobbler taken care of, I won't turn down the opportunity. My dad is working on all the neighbors around where I grew up, turkey flocks in that area have boomed the last 5 or so years. I might be able to jump on some spots there as well. I have a lot of history hunting the Houston County area and hate to NOT go down that way even if it is only for a short weekend.

First bird shot counts for the contest here though, so you guys better hope a big fat Hills bird walks in front of me instead of the scrawny ones I've shot the last couple years. wink

Went out and seen a few in the woods this morning, Here is a picturefull-31865-19292-2012fishing005.jpg

I've noticed the birds are in the woods more than they are out in the open in my area this morning. Is it me or do you guys see this more when it is cloudy. One thing i do know it sure gets you fired up being out in the morning after a long winter.

I found this hen in Roseville Central Park yesterday afternoon. No other turkeys nearby, only four deer further down the path. Tempted to go out in the early morning one of these days with some calls to see if I can locate more turkeys.

6907723140_21219f00c7_z.jpg

well I was going to try and sneak out for a quick day hunt this weekend but the weather doesn't look like its going to cooperate. The last thing I want to do is wake up at 4am drive 2 hours and then sit in the rain all day.

I know I cant shoot a turkey if I am not out there, but I am having trouble convincing the rest of my crew to make an effort to get out even if the weather is bad. Probably going to play it by ear and make a last minute decision based off the weather. If I had to decide today I would lean towards Saturday as Sunday the temp drops even more and less sun. Chance of snow there on Monday lol.

I didn't make it out as I had some things to take care of here at home.

2 guys in our group went out all day Saturday. They heard birds all over gobbling before sun up. They set up near a roost and the birds put a move on them when they eventually flew down. And then they stopped talking for the rest of the day.

Once the sun came up they still heard a lot of birds but only saw a couple. The ended up glassing and doing a spot and stalk on a Tom and were able to get him. But at least we have a couple ideas of where they are roosting for this weekend.

Supposed to be cold and rainy middle of this week and then a nice warm spell for the weekend. I will be out before sun up on Friday rain snow or shine and will have 3 full days dedicated to bagging a bird.

they used a shotgun, but I will have a shotgun and access to a rifle if needed this weekend. my intentions are to use the shotgun as my preferred option unless I get desperate lol.

The rifle thing sounds like fun what type of rifle do you use? like a .22 mag or something on that line.

Arrived in Rapid today. Went out this afternoon and heard two gobblers but could not get them to come to us. Met the ranch owner's son this evening and he showed us where the turkeys are coming down. Should be a turkey shoot tomorrow... Stay tuned.

6943106222_160733b9d5_z.jpg

6943103782_26fc6fa81c_z.jpg

The morning "turkey shoot" turned into watching the huge flock of birds across the road where we couldn't hunt. We had some on a hill above us, but they flew to the flock... Going to see about getting permission for over there. Made a big walk through a public area we have hunted in past years, called in three hens to 100yd but nothing else would respond.