• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Smoker Craft boats

Smoker Craft and Sylvan have been made by the same company in the same factories since about 1975. They are still marketed as seperate companies and have seperate dealer networks, however. They are structurally the same boat, they just differ a little in floor plans.

That being said, I have a 1996 Sylvan Pro Select and love the boat. It is 16+ years old, and has held up really well. All the lights, pumps and hatches still work perfectly. They are a well made boat at a bargan price compared to some of the other big brands. You would not be dissappointed.

I have also had my eye on Smokercrafts. Been in my friend's Sylvan and the layout was the most practical layout I've fished from. Being an all purpose type boat they look like a good deal. I mostly chase bass on open water but like to target all fish. Its nice to have the option to pull some tubes with room for people to be comfortable.

I owned a 2001 172 Millentia with a F115 yamaha and it was a great boat and the price was right to. I was pretty confident in the purchase as my dad sold them for many years and never had any major issues with them.

Eric, I bought a '05 melentia 171 (side council) w/115 2 stroke merc last spring. I am happy with it so far!! Wide, deep, and very sturdy in the water.Alot of storage, 2 live/bait wells, and rod locker. With the 115 optimax it runs aprox 42mph.

As far as fit and finish. I'm not really sure what some say about certain brands with better or worse. But I have no complaints!!!

I had seen a few for sale but was a little unsure as well. I didn't know of anyone that had one either. Until I went and looked at, and got a test ride.

My dad and I have a 2005 monark king 175, full windshield and a 115 merc opti. that pushes us along just shy of 41 mph. Smoker craft, sylvan, and monark I believe are all owned and built by starcraft. Ours is an all welded boat and has held up well with no complaints. The floor plan rocks with a rear casting deck that completly folds up into a 3 person fully cusioned back seat and also exposes two more spots for pedestal seats. Great craftsmanship and quality for 5 to 8 grand less than the other big names!

I owned a 96' stilleto that My brother in law bought new. It was in the family until 2009 when I sold it. The only visibal issue after 13 years was the carpet was finally wear through and the edges of the platforms. Not supprising considering the amount of time left uncovered over 13 years. Never a leak, or loose rivet. I seem to find a new loose rivet every year on my 2001 pro-v. I was a satisfied owner.

I wouldnt hesitate getting one. I did run into an issue with a 2004 where the front deck was a little too low, ( a total fluke ) and there was no space between bottom of well and inside bottom of boat. a few years of running it that way resulted in welds on the well cracking. I ended up pulling the well, cutting the corners out, notching them so there was clearance.

Eric, spotted a different boat on the list of craig. Called the guy said he sold it already. But had a couple others for sale. One being the smokercraft I bought. He and another guy bought a few bank repos and were reselling.

There is a dealer in raymond, mn. I believe.

I have a 161 Pro Mag, and I love it. Great boat for the money, though it lacks some of the fit-and-finish perks of a higher end boat. I've had it for a couple years with no problems to speak of.

I just picked up a 90' 161 Magnum with a 75hp Mariner a few weeks ago. The boat is almost mint so I couldn't go wrong for a few grand. It is a nice deep boat, doesn't have the width like my 04' Chrestliner had but I think it will work well.

My dad bought a Smoker Craft in 1996. It's still in really good shape. The only complaint I have with the boat is I really don't like the seat pedestals. They've been locked/wedged into place for years, so you can't move the seats around in the boat. It's an older boat so it's possibly they have a new pedestal design.

There's also a noticeable difference between how it rides in choppy water compared to my buddy's comparably-sized Lund. But I don't think you'd have any regrets with a Smoker Craft.

Bought a new 171 pro angler with 115 Optimax in 2005 and the only thing I don't like about it is the livewell drains slow. Other than that I love it. Since then, they have changed the layout of that model which I don't like, but as far as quality and performence I don't think you will be disappionted.