• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

There are two kinds of boaters!

norma

Those that have forgot to put the drain plug in the boat,and those About to forget the plug. grinHelpfull hint, clip your drain plug on the saftey chain on the trailer. At least that way, if you forgot to put the plug in you still have the boat on the trailer.

I put my plug on the transom tie-down strap. That way it's in the way (so I see it) when I take the straps off at the lake and I'm arms-reach away from the drain. I've never forgotten.

+1 - I never forget it there, and it has really become part of my routine. I am funny in that I prefer to take care of, tie downs, transome saver, and all the boat launch exiting preps by myself. Two reasons for this I have a "routine" and if something is missed it's "My" fault.

WE put the plug on a carabiner on the winch safety chain. Hard to miss it there too smile

Or... two kinds of boaters....

"Those who have backed in with the tie down straps on and can't get boat off, and those who WILL back down with tie down straps on and can't figure why it won't come off!"

haha! I never would have guessed I would do something like that, but I floated a 3100# trailer no prob... doh!!!

Long before the law required it, I have always removed my plug when I load my boat. It’s surprising how much water can get inside from rain and spray and I like to allow the hull to dry out. It protects my floor from moisture damage as well as mold, algae, and mildew growth.

I keep my plug in the splash tray. When I prep my boat for launch I have created a habitual sequence that I use. Release the left tie down, tilt the motor up, install the plug, release the right tie down. I’ve used this sequence for most of my life. I have a similar sequence I use when loading my boat as well. So far, this has worked well. I’ve only forgotten to install the plug once. It was one of the first times I ever launched a boat, which would have been some 35 years ago.

I was with you BobT. I always kept mine in the splash well and never forgot because, like you, I'm pretty into establishing a routine for how I do these type of things. However, after a couple of late-night launches in pouring rain or swarming mosquitos, I moved it to the tie-down strap. I didn't want to be hurried by the rain/mosquitos and forget in my haste. That was just me being worried about my own memory though!

Ok I have seen the ads about invasives and to drain all the water out of your boat ,,in those ads Ive seen drain plugs the stay attatched to the boat with a chain or plastic T so they a remain dangling from the transom,,, but I cant seem to find where to buy one as I am old enough to forget stuff ,,,I do have my routine but for some reason the drain plug has been forgoten a few times

LAS

I don't know where to buy them, but if hard to find it wouldn't be hard to make. Just buy a small length of small chain, attach it to your plug, and then attached the other end to something too big to fit through your drain hole...but not something that would plug the hole!

The DNR offers nice bright yellow stickers that say "Remember Drain plug" I got two of them for free by sending them an email and have one by the steering wheel and the other in the back by the motor. wink

Ok I have seen the ads about invasives and to drain all the water out of your boat ,,in those ads Ive seen drain plugs the stay attatched to the boat with a chain or plastic T so they a remain dangling from the transom,,, but I cant seem to find where to buy one as I am old enough to forget stuff ,,,I do have my routine but for some reason the drain plug has been forgoten a few times

LAS

Pretty sure I have seen the plugs you are talking about at Gander, Cabelas, Mills and maybe L&M would have them.