• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ranger boat goes air born. Should he have gunned it or turned around.

WillCFish

Been on that lake in worse conditions than that (bad idea on our part). It is crazy how rough that gets there. That lake is small and not bowl shaped by any means.

He did the right thing. Bass boats are way different in water/waves like that than v-hulls...Ranger or not. And not to hijack...but I also think aluminum rides better in water like that than fiberglass. 1. Grab can of worms 2. Open grin

That's a Comanche, it's a bass boat, not meant to break the swells as good as other with more deep Vee. If it was a Fisherman it would have been a different handling of the waves, even with an inexperienced "captain" at the helm.

Been on that lake in worse conditions than that (bad idea on our part). It is crazy how rough that gets there. That lake is small and not bowl shaped by any means.

He did the right thing. Bass boats are way different in water/waves like that than v-hulls...Ranger or not. And not to hijack...but I also think aluminum rides better in water like that than fiberglass. 1. Grab can of worms 2. Open grin

IF I ever have to cross in those conditions again I'll gladly take my 17' glass over my old Alum rig anyday....then again have been known to run 2 60" drift socks to be able to stay out and cast....

Of course per my "handle" I have a 19 IFS. One night during the opener several years ago, we were on West over by the ranger station and quite frankly, should have never left the lift. Of course the wind only kicked up another 10 or 15 mph on the already 25 so we decided to cross back across the lake because we just had to get back to the area (by The Inn). I got to tell you, there was a time where we came over the top of a 'biggun' and I swear hit by a rogue wave or something. Long story short we about rolled that 19 foot tin can. 40 something water temps and we would have been goners.

Got back to the lift and through some miracle made it into the lift without peeling that boat like a sardine can. I got back in the house, took a shower (was totally soaked from the ride) and sat on the couch and shook for about two hours. Dang near ruined me. Next day, the wind had come back down to only 30+ (LOL). Left my boat there and waited two days to go get it. I still think of that night and have sworn never to put myself or anyone else in that position again. Of course, two years ago, found myself in a similar predicament in Ontario, just with about 6-7 miles of water like that to traverse. Oh well, I survived. Boat survived. Scary stuff though.

The boat in the video never went airborn. The waves didn't even look all that bad. If you're not used to it, I'm sure it can be quite nerve racking. here on Erie, we fish in those conditions, and much worse, on the weekly basis. Aluminum can't compare to the ride of a glass boay in those conditions.

Here's an airborn Ranger in last year's Erie FLW.

boatair.jpg

I almost went end over end in my 14' Lund in a big wind on White Bear back in late October '02. Wind coming about 35 out of the north and I was fishing the south end. Had enough and decided to go back in. Coming up to the south end of the island I hit a big wave and a strong gust of wind at the same time. Front end just kept lifting. Cranked the motor to the left, spun it around and slapped the bow down. I was way beyond 45 degrees up, lost a small stowaway box. Lucky that was all I lost.

Got back to the ramp and there were a couple guys loading a 2025 ProV and asked if I was crazy. I think it was a bit stupid to go out that day, but the fish were going and that was my mindset back then. Now that I am a bit older and wiser, I would not condone my actions on that day. Nearly slept with the fishes that night.

It's all fun and games until you submarine the bow through the next wave (done that....). I say they did the right thing and turned around. A fully loaded Ranger is a heavy boat and that chop would have pounded the carp out of the boat and the fishermen.

He was driving that boat trimmed up to the max so he could get the most speed out of it. Look at the boat go by before the wipe out. There is very little chop and the boat wabbles from side to side do to the motor being trimmed up too much and then you hit a small wake and you loose control. Look at the ranger on Erie his Motor is trimmed down giving him control when he hits the water again. This guy knows how to drive a boat.

I don't think either knows what they are doing quite frankly. Not only is a bass boat a bad idea in that weather, but if you aren't familiar with how to handle yourself/boat on a few white caps stay off the lake. I'd like to fish a few rivers around here, but I'm not about to take the fiberglass boat out with a long shaft motor.

That second guy was just looking to crash. Did you guys see the shallow water he was plowing over? Set your boat motor up fine go ahead, but your still taking a risk of f**king up the motor and getting stuck in sand and rock. Way too fast over buoy controlled areas. 70mph hr? I like to get to the fish too, water ski, have fun and all, but to drive consistantly at that speed is just asking for it. He's lucky? The other people on the water with him are lucky.

On a side note a fishing guide told me a story about a new tracker boat. I guess they "hand weld" all their stuff. Well up on Leech the waves pounded the dump out of it and one of the welds cracked. Brand new boat sank. Got another new boat out of it and they paid for his guide all week. I went home and checked our old tracker over and found plenty of rivets.