• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Devils Lake Tip-up pike

Bait of choice if frozen smelt, as sucker minnows and shiners are illegal in North Dakota. You can have four lines, so tipup fishing can be a hoot when the flags are flying. Make sure you partially thaw your smelt before hooking them (I suggest quick-strike rigs) or else they float and/or get a thick layer of skim ice over their boddies. You can also try slitting the belly to burst the airsack. This helps spread the oils and scent, too. I typically put on at least 1/4 ounce of weight (usually a bullet weight or some sort of slip sinker) to get the bait where I want.

Good luck!

Are you staying at a resort? They will normally lead you in the right direction. We went a few years back and stayed at Woodland. Nice place. Got into the pike near an old fenceline. People would drive their 4 wheelers thru the tree tops to stir the fish up.

Before I had my 4 tip ups set I had a fat 36" pike on the ice.

Don't remember bait choice, been a few years.

Good luck.

Good info from TylerS above! One ohter bait to give a shot, and believe it or not I'm not kidding with this, is hot dogs! Fish them just like TylerS said, but use hot dogs instead of smelt. There are times when they're the best producing bait around! I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself...

I took huge sucker minnows, 12" and bigger in a cooler with water and dumped in a bunch of salt. This killed them and yet preserved them. I froze them til my trip. Bigger bait bigger fish right. Pulled in a 45" 25 lb norhern up a 8" hole. There are some sows out there. but any bait will do. When there hungry they eat anything. Even turkey hot dogs yuck

Central MN will represent. I'll be leaving the Annandale area on the 16th for a first time trip to Devils Lake for the weekend. 6 of us going for the first time staying at Woodlands but not renting any houses and such. Hoping to get enough information from the guys at the resort to get on some perch and whatever bonus fish come with it.

Yea, the weather is the only thing I am worried about but I think it should be ok, and we aren't renting houses either we are prob explore and do some hole hoppin and hoping guys there will help us out. Its just me and another guy going so we should be portable, spear foot might have to compare notes and fishing tales at the cove at woodland maybe on the 13th? Yea tip uping is what I am excited for!! Central MN boys!

Spearfoot1, with your experience up there on the lake, if we can't drive on the ice is there good fishing within walking distance of Woodlands? Or will a wheeler be a necessity? There is no cold weather in site so I don't expect much more ice to be made up there and just have to hope they don't lose any by the time I arrive.

Wheelers or even snowmobiles for lake travel a plus but with no snow??/ I'm sure woodland or other people staying there would help you out. I guess when at creel bay we went out along ways. But if you go out to six mile bay there is good fishing in walking distance.I wasnt there last year so dont know how much lake has hanged .I know its higher again but theres places to walk out. Other wise you will have to come over to minnawaukan side or meet us some where not sure where we are fishing yet. There are alot of other lake close by with excellent fishing as well. I will have a side by side for sure with a trailer behind so I can always give you a ride too if you need it.

Gimme a couple names, I am a linn. I will try to remember to get a post up when we get back and let you know how we did. Will be there fishing thursday afternoon comming back sunday morning. Sounds like we should have some nice weather.

Spear foot

If that is recently retired farmer from freeport timmy that would be my uncle and if sam and phil are brothers they would be my cousins. Don't know a fred or eugene.

Weather is looking great for our trip, we will try and leave a few fish in the lake for You.