• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

DNR Catfish workshop

DTro

Over the past several months a small group of “stakeholders” from around the state have been meeting with the MNDNR to discuss our concerns and things we would like to see happen for the future of catfishing in MN. We wrapped up meeting #3 last night and I thought I would share some details.

At workshop #1 we basically introduced all of ourselves, and like I said it was a mix of people from every part of the state, including several MNDNR representatives. At that point we heard from each DNR rep who presented a short report about the state of the fishery in their respective area. It was a fun learning experience to get perspectives from all over the state.

Our first objective was to whittle down our laundry list of concerns/wishes to a small manageable list. So basically we each listed our top 5 issues then went through each and every one. It was a good exercise and most of us came up with the same handful of issues.

Meeting #2 was kind of a continuation of #1 , where we kept pecking away at our list until we had it down to 2 or 3. Also joining us for this meeting were members of the MNDNR enforcement division. They guided us and answered any questions we had regarding enforcement and regs. I really enjoyed having them there and getting feedback from us about our concerns. The big issues were discussed at length (Aquatic Invasive Species, Bag Limits, Live Transport Tournies, 2 lines, Throw Nets, etc). At the end of meeting #2 we as a group had come to the consensus that bait issues (specifically AIS) was something we needed to address asap. We explained that it is crucial that we are able to get bait, and get it legally without having to shell out large sums of money for a farm raised sucker minnow. At that point we adjourned.

Meeting #3 was last night and we really focused on tackling the AIS issue. It really is a David/Goliath thing as AIS is so very much on the radar right now and affects everyone across the board. However, we thought it was important enough to at least try and compromise on a small portion that affects us the most. Steve D put in a lot of time and research to put together a presentation about Risk Assessment and how we could use that to aid us in drafting up something that would be acceptable to both us anglers and those responsible for the protecting the future of our waters. We went through many questions and assessed the risks of each. At the end of the exercise we determined the one thing that would be the lowest risk yet would be a big benefit to us in protecting our privilege to be able to catch and use bait, specifically in infested waters. I don’t have the exact wording and in fact will be revised many times before a final version is submitted, but in a nutshell it would state that it would be legal for us to catch minnows and rough fish in infested waters and use them for bait provided that the method used is hook and line and that it is only used in the waters it was harvested from.

We all understand we have a big hill to climb here, but we also realize how important bait is to us catfishermen and it’s something crucial enough for us to try and tackle. While these bait issues affect all fisherman in MN, my opinion is that no other group of anglers is affected more than we are. Because of the way we fish and the bait we use, these laws could very well put our future in jeopardy and before we know it, we will not be able to use any bait we catch on our own (we are almost there already actually) And while we would like to see some sort of compromise, we understand and fully agree that AIS needs to be taken very seriously and we as a group support the MNDNR in its fight against it.

So there’s a quick synopsis and I just wanted to also send a big thanks to everyone that has been able to attend and especially Steve D for going the extra mile and getting us to where we are now, I know you put a lot of time into that presentation last night. It sure helps having a retired Colonel on our side! The next step is presenting this info at the annual roundtable meetings…

Albeit a small one, we FINALLY have a voice.

SteveD recently presented our proposal at the annual roundtable meetings. He did an awesome job and I heard there was also a nice article in last weeks Outdoor News. I was hoping that we came to a decent compromise, but I have a feeling they really just don't care about us Catfishermen (when it comes to AIS).

I spoke with a CO at the Boat show this weekend. He was at the AIS booth there. I asked him straight up, "can you explain the logic of not being able to catch a rough fish in infested waters, cutting it up in the boat and using it for bait in the same waters or maybe even putting a hook back into it and using it live?"

He didn't seem eager to answer, but in a nutshell said that he was aware of our groups proposal and that there are those in the Dept (including himself) that will fight any changes that would allow for more lenient or compromised regs.

He left me with, "it's only going to get much much worse and it won't be very long and ALL bait will have to be certified"

He had the nerve to say, "you have to understand you are just a very small niche group and even if it affect you dramatically we are not concerned with that".

At any rate, if you are interested in Steve presentation. It's about 20 minutes:

A trophy flathead catfish fishery in the Minnesota River? Looks like we can't count on the DNR unless the river was full of muskies...whatever.

So what's the new DNR red tape b&s anyway? We can use bigger bullheads but we can't get them anywhere? Sounds like upper management to me grin

Well this bill is expected to be signed by the Gov so it looks like we actually got something done! Sure every single one of us wanted more. We wanted 2 lines, we wanted cast nets, we wanted a course to become bait certified to transport our bullheads from infested water, we wanted sunfish for bait. There are lots of things we wanted, but a baby step is better than no step at all.

When all this is said and done, it would probably be a good thing to regroup and discuss future needs.

The DNR is not interested in changing a bunch of stuff for us, but if we whittle things away little by little who knows, some day we might get to a point where we are able to throw a net for some shad or use sunfish for bait.

I think this new bait law is a big win for us!

It's official! smile

http://news.dnr.state.mn.us/2012/05/10/d....anges-for-2012/

Catfish anglers may harvest bait in an infested waterbody and use that bait in the same water body, effective July 1.

Gotta love how they specified "catfish anglers" What the heck does that mean? So nobody else can do it? Seriously, why couldn't they simply state "Anglers"? Oh well, I just thought it was funny.

It sure would be nice to continue this workshop group and keep the ball rolling.

I don't know why they keep saying "catfish anglers" in the press releases. The revised statute doesn't say catfish anywhere in it. Here are the changes to the statute starting July 1, 2012.

(3) harvest of bullheads, goldeyes, mooneyes, sheepshead (freshwater drum), and

suckers for bait from streams or rivers designated as infested waters, by hook and line for

noncommercial personal use. Other provisions that apply to this clause are:

(i) fish taken under this clause must be used on the same body of water where caught

and while still on that water body;

(ii) fish taken under this clause may not be transported live from or off the water

body;

(iii) fish harvested under this clause may only be used in accordance with this section;

(iv) any other use of wild animals used for bait from infested waters is prohibited;

(v) fish taken under this clause must meet all other size restrictions and requirements

as established in rules; and

(vi) all species listed under this clause shall be included in the person's daily limit as

established in rules, if applicable.

So what reasoning does the DNR have against using dinky sunfish for bait? Seems like this would be a great way to curb small sunfish? or am I under the assumption that the DNR looks at using sunfish as bait as a "burning the candle at both ends" for sunfish.. big ones are over harvested.. so small ones harvested for bait will leave us with a limited sunfish population?