• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Late season Archery hunt

lungdeflator

Anybody have tips for a late season hunt? I still have a tag for ND and am planning to hunt 17-22 of december. the first day will probably consist of finding were the deer are feeding/wintering and then going from there. I know food is the key. Any tips for the actual hunt? staying warm? I know noise can be a big issue when its cold and clear? Im bringing my tree saddle that is pretty quiet but would staying on the ground be an option?

thanks!

i can't comment on much regarding ND deer hunting, but I would stick in the tree saddle if I were you.

And for me staying warm... I've been using the inner lining of my duck hunting jacket as a 2nd layer under a fleece, still stays decently quiet. Between that and my moon boots and hand muff I've been staying about as warm as you can expect to

That's pretty decent advice regarding mornings. However, I shot a nice doe mid-morning on Dec. 28th last year, so it's not worthless...

A few tips regarding staying warm and hunting that time of year- 1) you can't wear warm enough boots!, 2) wear a warm glove you can shoot your bow with on your left hand and a fairly light glove on your right hand. Keep your right hand in your pocket until it's about time to draw, 3) handwarmers are must-haves!, 4) layers, layers, and more layers, with something that stops wind dead being one of them.

This will be a completely unpopular opinion, but I belive mid to late Dec is the best time of year to kill a monster buck. Big bucks are patternable more than any other time of year and if you can fool the numerous does they tend to follow, you can get a crack at one.

One last tip- the colder it is, the better the chance you have to get the deer moving while it's light. Also, there's an incredible lack of pressure that time of year. Since nobody is crazy enough to hunt when it's super cold, that's the best time to do it- the deer will move earlier and nobody else will be out- a perfect combo. Good luck!

When it's really cold, deer will often be bedded to conserve energy. Usually the coldest time of the day is early in the mornings. If you're hunting near & around crop fields in the am, more than likely you'll be bumping deer and alerting them to your presence. Similar to early season in September, I like to just hunt evenings. That last hour of daylight can be really good if you're hunting a good food source with unpressured deer. Not to say you can't shoot one in the am though, Scoot proved you can. Probability-wise, evenings provide a better opportunity imo, especially with mature bucks.

Scoot agree the colder it is the better for seeing daylight deer. Last muzzy 0 and more 0's until the last morning of season -8 and -23 windchill, saw more deer that morning than I did the entire rifle and muzzy season combined up to that point. Wasn't easy on me in a metal ladder stand, but the deer had to really load up on calories in that 4 chambered stomach.

If I could pick mornings or afternoons for late season archery, I'd pick mornings.Last year I saw most of my deer in Dec. from 9:30-11:00.Kinda tough sittin until lunch on a frigid december morning, but in my experience the cold weather is what get's them moving late mornings.I love late season archery!

Bring a trail camera, I know you only have a few days, but sometimes if it's super cold, deer will feed in the middle of the day, especially if it's a secluded food source. Hunt the first couple evenings and or mornings.. then check the camera.

I kinda agree with Scoot, late season is the 2nd best time to pattern and kill a big buck...

Whatever the case, find the food, find the travel routes, and you're in business!

Like others said wear enough clothes that will block the wind, but not too bulky or it is tough to pull the bow back:) I usually just go in the evenings unless it is unseasonally warm. In the mornings the cold snow is super crunchy and it is tough to sneak into a stand. Give me a pair of disposable foot and hand warmers and I am good to go. The coldest I have ever sat in a tree was -30. So cold the trees were popping. I made it about 90 minutes that day.

One year I was out of state for grad school and I didn't get to hunt at all at home until Christmas break (that alone almost killed me!) I sat every evening from Dec 21 to the end of the year. The WARMEST it was when I left my parents' house was -11. One night when I got back to their house it was -29. Those were the temps too, not the windchill. It was super cold, but I saw deer every night I sat.

I know I've told this part of the season before, so I'll give the abbreviated version- On the last night of the season, my release malfunctioned as I tried to draw on a buck. I got my release back on the string and came to full draw. When he was broadside at 12 yards I was just about to shoot when I realized my arrow is stuck in the snow eight feet in front of me- it popped out when my release malfunctioned! It was so dang cold even my release didn't want to be out there!!!

Like I said before though, those are usually the best days to be out...

I am not a cold weather deer hunter. I have hunted in -25 but it was not as enjoyable as 10 above or warmer.

Layers as mention above is a must. I would also do some practice to make sure one can shoot well with the extra clothes on and that your string does not hit your coat sleeve when shooting. I also like to draw back every 10 minutes or so as I have a tendency to stiffen up in the colder temps.

I love the morning hunting but I do tend to go out more in the late afternoon close to a feeding area as it is typically a bit warmer than those cold mornings.

If it was very cold out, I would hunt a few hours in the morning and the late afternnon for 2-3 hours if you can be comfortable enough depending on the temps.

What time those deer will feed could be anytime if unpressered as they need the calories in the wicked cold.

You also may want to drop your bow poundage 5-10 lbs. It's really easy to stiffen up in the cold and if you've got deer around and unable to move for extended periods, getting your bow drawn can be a challenge. I missed out on a doe Dec 4th last year because of this. I was on the ground in my snow camo waiting for 3 deer to come out of a thicket. By the time they came out & got within range, 30 minutes had passed and I hadn't been able to move. The doe was at 15 yds & there was a fawn between the two of us. When I tried to pull my bow straight back, I only could get 3/4 of the way. She caught the movement and that was that. Keep your muscles loose.

I have also seen some action mid-morning to mid-day late season, and also again right at dark so maybe sleed in and then sit from 9 to noon. Like others said the later in the year and the colder the better.

When do you put the adhesive warmer on? No matter how little I wear I'm already sweating when I get to my stand & have to take my shirt off first thing, takes me a while to cool down. Usually don't have time to take a "leisurely" stroll to the stand. Wish a guy could control his internal furnace a little better, moving cranks heat like crazy, sitting still almost none.

Many of these suggestions have been brought up in one form or another, but here is my .02:

1. The best time of the day will be the last couple hours of daylight, hunting over the preferred food source. However, daytime movement can be even earlier in the day if the weather is really severe (cold, etc.). Which brings me to point two.

2. Deer do not like to move more than they have to when they are in survival mode. Meaning, they won't bed far from the food source if they don't have to (and if they leave it at all). So hunting mornings is not very productive as you are trying to get between the food and the bedding cover, which is difficult if they aren't moving far and if you plan to hunt the food source in the evening..

3. I like to hunt from the ground in late season. I feel its easier to stay warm on the ground, you can stay out of the wind, and in some cases, you can even get away with using a heater in the blind. Lets face it, if you are uncomfortable, you are far more likely to pack it in early, make noise, mess up your shot, etc. To stay warm, there are a lot of good products that can help, but maybe none more than lots of chemical warmers, boot blankets, and a heater body suit type device which allows you to stay cool walking in but that will keep you very warm once on stand (from what I'm told they are great - it will be my next purchase).

4. Lastly, the most important advice I can give is to set up where the deer are going to be without letting them know you are there. In a traditional late season scenario you are likely to be hunting a larger than normal herd of deer. This makes getting in and out undetected, and the location you set up in, very important if you don't want to blow the deer off their feed source. One good thing I have noticed in hunting late season deer is that the deer are somewhat less weary of foreign scent or intrusions at this time of year because they are so keyed in on the food source and survival, but rest assured, if they see you or you give off a "danger" signal to the deer, they will bust. Once one deer goes, they most likely will take the rest with them. So it is important to set up in an AREA THE DEER WILL BE at a time of day when the DEER ARE NOT YET THERE, then beat the deer there.

Late season is a great time to pattern a big buck. I agree that it is easier than any other time of the season (except for maybe the first few days of the season in states that start around the 1st of September - but late season deer have to eat). But in order to be successful during late season, you need to be prepared more than any other time of year (proper clothing, set up, scouting). If you are prepared and fortunate enough to have quality late season hunting ground and weather, it can be the "easist" way of gaining an opportunity to kill a big buck.

I kinda agree with Scoot, late season is the 2nd best time to pattern and kill a big buck...

Strat, I'm curious- what, in your opinion, is the #1 time of year to "pattern and kill a big buck"? If you had just said "kill a big buck", I'd still not agree with you, but obviously rut is a great time of year to kill a big one. However, if you include "pattern" in there, when else is there that is better to pattern a big buck than late in the year?

My experience tells me that by and large the patterns of big bucks are thrown into disarray during the rut...

I'm not trying to pick a fight here, or even nit-pick your comment- just curious to see if I'm interpreting your comment right. If I am, we don't see it the same way. If I'm not, I'm curious what you mean.

I'm not going to speak on behalf of Strat, but the 1st week of the archery season offers up a great chance of patterning/killing the best bucks in your area. I've seen the best deer my property has to offer two consecutive years now during this time. I'm sure if I had standing beans or another preferred food source available in December, I'd probably have a great shot then as well.

I think ND opens Aug 29th in 2012 doesn't it Scoot? What a fine opportunity at taking a mature velvet buck!

When do you put the adhesive warmer on? No matter how little I wear I'm already sweating when I get to my stand & have to take my shirt off first thing, takes me a while to cool down. Usually don't have time to take a "leisurely" stroll to the stand. Wish a guy could control his internal furnace a little better, moving cranks heat like crazy, sitting still almost none.

I put it on after I am in the stand. Did it once before the walk in and the under armour was a little soaked. I usually walk in with as little as I can, but like you said I usually end up sweating anyways by the time I am up in my tree.

I'd say acorn season, scout hard the week before bow season and hit those out of the way oaks 1st. Have options though and I could see a tcam helping you find that shootable buck. Once the acorns are gone it will disperse the deer in your area more and then I'd find where you think they are coming from if they are as thick in your yard after dark as they are mine mopping the dangerous area acorns to them. Have 60 mature oaks in the yard so it's a zoo for a few weeks deer wise. But, you'd have to get closer to their bedding ground and they'll often revisit the jungle oaks picking off what few are left, when done in my yard there isn't an acorn left, they can really find em. It's almost like geese cleaning out a chopped corn field, just end to end and they miss nothing.