• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

is it worth starting?

HandGunner

Ice fishing... how long does it go for? I found some cheap hand augers but need a rod and lures... bait and all. Plus Im in ham lake dont kno if the lakes close by will produce good fish for eating. how often would I even catch fish? been ice fishing once and did not catch anything, used a hand auger didnt mind it. not looking to spend a whole lot on it espicialy with buying ice houses and stuff

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it worth it? that's an answer only you can provide us.

My recommendations: go out with someone that really knows what they are doing in your area and get some field experience to see if you like it. I'm not talking guides, rather a local guy that fishes the lakes you like. Go out a few times....

Even if you show up with what little gear you have, approach the old times and visit with them. Often times, they are more than happy to share their knowledge to a new friend. The fact that you are out there tells them you are serious.

Then, as time progresses, you will find yourself collecting gear based on your finical needs or aspirations.

thats true... I was looking for a winter hobby like sledding and ice skating somting to do for fun but I also wanted to try something outdoorsy since hunting seasons over and the other hunting like yotes and small game I cant really progress on and get started since its a bit more money and time plus nothing is really out during the winter thaught Id try ice fishing

I'll let you know my opinion after this season. I had fun last year, but hope to get out more this year. I'll be using a hand auger as well, and probably will try to leave the electronics at home (though I will see if my portable fish finder helps).

A couple $30 rod/reel combos and two tipups are all that are needed to keep me and one other person fishing. I plan on setting up one tipup for myself, and then drilling holes nearby and jigging.

Lots of little things such as lures(shopping for jigs/spoons/other lures is too fun to keep my wallet fat) an ice ladle for clearing holes, and all the other odds and ends can add up though, but it sure is cheaper than any other hobby I'd be picking up in the wintertime. If I was going to get a snow mobile, wheel house, pickup to tow the wheel house, power auger, flasher, etc, it gets expensive fast, but I'm hoping I don't need any of that to land some fish and have fun.

Ice fishing... how long does it go for? I found some cheap hand augers but need a rod and lures... bait and all. Plus Im in ham lake dont kno if the lakes close by will produce good fish for eating. how often would I even catch fish? been ice fishing once and did not catch anything, used a hand auger didnt mind it. not looking to spend a whole lot on it espicialy with buying ice houses and stuff

the typical ice season normally starts around the begining of december(depending if there is good ice or not) and goes into early march. as for gear. a auger is not really needed if you are on a lake where there is a lot of people. there are more then enough people out there that will drill you a hole or two for you if you ask. for rods look to spend $20 to $30 for a basic intro level nice rod. stay away from the cheap HT combos (their higher price combo are mariginal at that) I like the shakespeare pro ice combo for someone new to ice fishing. you don't need a bunch of lures to start with just basic ice jigs(most are $3.00 or less per pack of 2) . Start fishing for Bluegills or Crappies. the metro lakes should be able to put out gills. a flasher is nice but you can get by without one if you hang to the community spots(you will know them when you see them, just look for the group of houses in one area).

heres a offer for you. if you want to try ice fishing and don't want to spend any money on gear until you decide if you like it or not I am willing to provide you with a chance to try it but you would need to meet me in Monticello and then follow me to the lake(probably go to maple lake. the access I use is off co rd 37). I have more then enough gear and would be willing to put you on some Bluegills once the ice is safe enough to walk on. if you don't want to walk out we could go fishing when the ice is thick enough to drive out. early ice is normally the best time but if you know the lakes you fish then you can find them later in the season. a good lake map is also a good investment since it shows you the contours of the lake. if you want to take me up on this offer just email me and we can set it up.

kinda of leaning twards giving it a try... hmmmmm wondering if anyone has any ideas of how I can get free bait. what works? or do fish only want live bait in the winter?

for bait in the winter I normally use wax worms, maggots, crappie minnows, and suckers(if I plan to put a tip up out). Plastics are another option in the winter time (just use the ones designed for ice fishing and not summer fishing). you won't get free bait if you go fishing by your self. with my offer I would provide the bait for this but the only thing I ask is that you wouldn't take advantage of anyone willing to help you try it out. I don't mind helping a person but I don't like getting taken advantage of either. I say this because of how you worded you question about "how I could get free bait". I don't want to sound like a jerk but I would like to know that you appreciate be helped out by either my self or someone else if they offer to take you out fishing.

I no longer live there, but I grew up in Linwood. Not real far from Ham Lake. There are some good fishing lakes in that area. Linwood, Coon, Martin, Island, etc, etc.

What do you really need? When I was a kid I chiseled through the ice and for a rod I had fishing line tied to a stick. Tied a hook on the end, squeezed on a split shot, and voila, I was fishing. Times are different now but you can easily get out on the ice for under a hundred bucks. Couple of 20 dollar combos, coffe can full of minnows or a pocket full of waxies, tupperware with a few jigs in your pocket and you're set.

My first couple years, I used a spud to make my holes. I would recycle hot holes from the day before or chip out abandoned holes from earlier that day.

Bait and lures, even rods just use what you use open water. Take your smallest spoons or even hooks with a splitshot will do. (for just starting out). I agree- STAY AWAY FROM HT! I have to yet run into a HT product I like sick

Here's my list of recommended products for a first timer

Spud (to check the safety of the ice and make holes ) $30.00

1/8 and 3/8 PK Spoon

1/8 and 1/4 PK Flutter Fish

Open water rod: ultra light or fast action (if you have already)

Strikemaster Laser Hand Auger ($100.00)-optional

Good Outerwear

The main thing, is to be comfortable. Make no expense in dressing in layers and keeping warm. Letting the cold set in is the worst thing for anybody.

Don't invest too much in shacks or novelty items like ice fishing rods. As far as jigs and lures go, they work well for open water as well. I use my ice fishing jigs and spoons all year around for trout and pan fish.

The only thing I will add is that adding a cheap sonar could make or break your experiment. you can always sell it.

IMO, some kind of flasher is almost a necessity....IF you want to be successful at catching fish.

One thing to add, if being a beginner ice fisherman try to target easier species to catch in certin lakes.. Usually your panfish are a much easier fish to catch and have a high frequency to see some action, rather than your typical walleyes and northerns!

No offense meant but if you are worried about the cost of bait maybe ice fishing is not the best of choices for your winter activity. $3 buys you a scoop of crappie minows which will most likely last the weekend now that's cheap entertainment. When I was young and getting started id take along with people and offer to buy the bait. That's getting by cheap considering the gas and all the $$ they had in the flashers, augers, and houses that I got to use with them.

i think the rest have given good advice for you so no need to reapeat those. you live in Ham Lake and there are many good lakes around you. for panfish Linwood would be a good choice. just go were the perms are if you dont know the lake. just be polite and dont drill right next to someones house. a flasher would be nice to have. go to a pawn shop and i bet you can find a cheap one or check the classifieds. the Chisago chain of lakes can get you crappies and walleys also.

on Chisago you will see a lot of people fish the deeper part in 25 feet of water for suspended crappies. that is a late afternoon/early evening bite. also big green near the entrance of the shallow bays. so the places are there. good luck.

Ice fishing can be a little expensive to start up but once you have what you need it is just some cheap bait. But, you could just hide out in the house all winter and play expensive video games instead! smirk

Ice fishing gear can be as basic or as expensive as you want to make it.

When I started out as a kid I used a bunch of fishing line wrapped around a 1 foot length of 2x4. I put a hook a split shot and a small bobber on and I was fishing.

Here is the gear that I think you'd need to get started.

1. Auger - hand auger with sharp blades will work just fine. You can get a spud bar instead but you'd be limited to early ice or you'd need to find an old hole not totally frozen over yet.

2. Some sort of rod set up. The 2x4 set up i used worked ok, you can also modify your summer gear if you want. I also did that at times. Find a basic ice rod and put your summer fishing reel on it.

3. Slush scooper - most people buy one but you can improvise something.

4. Small jigs or hooks - a small assortment of jigs or hooks, lot to choose from and will run you a couple bucks for a small pack.

5. Bait - wax worms, crappie minnows, suckers, fat heads, etc. All depends on what you want to catch. Plan on $3-5 for bait per trip, maybe less if you can keep the bait fresh and alive between trips so you don't need to waste any by throwing it away.

6. Lake map - you can get these for free of the DNR lake finder HSOforum. They aren't perfect but they are close enough considering they are free.

7. Bucket to sit on.

That should at least get you out and fishing. I would offer a word of caution though. With this basic set up you'll be out in the cold and at the mercy of mother nature so you may find that ice fishing isn't all that pleasent at times, even less so when you aren't catching anything. There is for sure a learning curve to ice fishing and without some of the modern advancements it can be tough going at the start.

Lake suggestions: White Bear, Bald Eagle, Lake George, Calhoun, Nokomis, Cedar, Medicine, Rush Lake, all within an easy drive. Whenever I am out and see someone using a hand auger I will usually offer to drill some holes for them. Study lake maps and look for good structure, and talk to bait store owners they will often give you some decent tips. You might even make friends with some of the people on the forum and be able to share expenses on some trips.

by free bait I meant like in the summer you would dig up worms haha... I found some augers for cheap i mean literaly cheap, less than a new ice rod. I know how ice fishing goes not exactly but I have basick Knowlege. plus Im a huge DIY junkie, was planin to find some old rods cut em down and make my own ice rod and STRIKE INDICATORS! they seem simple enough to make its all simple engineering to me... well Im going to see how it goes and think about it

Ice fishing is like most everything else, there is a learning curve and because there are so many variables I can see where a person just starting out could get frustrated and throw in the towel. You can cut that learning curve tremendously by hooking up with an experienced friend or partner. Sometimes just asking in the forums will help you find a mentor if none of your friends ice fish. Is it worth it? For me, the answer is a resounding YES. I absolutely love ice fishing.

For bait, I am sold on Gulp minnow heads, or tiny plastics. One jar for $6 will last you a couple years. Minnows if you want, and if you get a bubbler, you can keep a scoop alive for LONG time in the garage! (as long as it doesn't freeze solid...)

I will say, and I am a perfect example, that once you have a locator of any type, you will enjoy ice fishing much more. Not needed, but once you use one, you will not fish without one ever again wink

Good luck, give it a try, you'll have fun! I only started about 12 or so years ago, but now I love it, and have no ambitions to go to Mexico anymore in the winter, I can't give up a week of ice fishing wink

just baught a 10 dollar hand ice auger still in good shape just blades were rusty and needed sharpening which I did, making a ice rod with a old 2 piece rod and just using the top section, plus coming up wit ideas on a strike indicator, would 6 lb mono line be good enough or do I need the ice lines? thinking about buying the bulk packs of preserved minnows too

I started out tip up fishing with some guys at one of their cabins... for less than $20 I had 2 tip ups and the stuff to rig them pretty much. That was all I had for the first 3 years I ice fished.... my biggest expense was beer, ha ha ha.

Be warned, it's addicting!!! d've got the vexilar, the portable house, the auger, the winter suit..... I still think I've spent more on beer wink Best part of fishing is the people out there and that part is free as long as your respectful of others and the outdoors. If your a hunter and enjoy being outdoors hunting there is a good chance you'll enjoy ice fishing.

i "technically" started 3 years ago,spent $50 on a bunch of used stuff from an online ad, sled, hand auger, handful of poles, & old tackle, but a great foot in the door. caught 3 fish my first winter with not a clue as to what i was doing....but yes i was hooked and learned real fast what i wanted/needed. first was a shelter/sled, 2nd was gas auger, 3rd was fish finder. These "must haves" for me were based on what i like to make me comfy fishing and how good or succesful of an experience i wanted to have. last winter i watched online ads like a hawk and found a gas auger at the price i was willing to pay, same with first portable shelter. I ALWAYS buy everything cept tackle in off season or on sale when season is almost over. late last winter my son told me he wanted to go ice fishing but i only had 1 man portable, so i quickly sold it while ppl were still ice fishing to get a good price for it, then waited another month or 2 when everyone wanted to get rid of them instead of storing them and got a very good deal on an older 2 man for same as i sold my one man. I have also learned a ton from the great folks on here regarding poles, tackle, etc., but you also have to kinda know what u want cause everyones personal comforts are different. Tackle and pole cost can add up quickly. If you dont have any friends, make yourself a budget, check online ads, and see what you think u want or need. When doing that, i always check stores online to see what brand new cost is first and if making a purchase from online ad i always insist that the seller shows me exactly how item works b4 walking away. ps, i also bought showdown troller in feb on sale and my success rate immediately increased exponentially, very difficult to catch fish if you dont know where they are or you dont know the lake. Dont be afraid to start out really slow but you will also need your patience. The better the equip and knowledge, the better your chances of success. There is a wealth of info on this site, dont be afraid to ask questions but they must be direct about something. Like most stated, your experience is going to be decided by many factors...how many times you go, info with fish finder or personal knowledge of lake, type of lure or bait for targeted species, even something as simple as type of bobber can make a huge difference (so i found out last year).

To answer your question, IMO absolutely yes...you can start on a shoestring budget or buy as many gadgets as you think you need to catch fish and have a good time. If u wanted to start dirt cheap (like me), i would recommend a hand auger, spring bobber rod, $2 live minnows, & insulated bucket for them. I caught all of my fish on live minnows last year (though i have bought shrimpos, etc. and will test them this year) and once some ppl told me of the spring bobber rod, my success rate for seeing the bite increased dramatically.