• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

This maybe an irruption year......

Excellent Jason! I was waiting for you to find one (some), and was quite sure that you would. I love the scene here, especially with the falling snow.

Now, how about some GPS coordinates.... smile You know I'm just kidding smile

Thanks guys.

I just spent from 8 a.m to 1 p.m trying to relocate it with no luck. I think I checke everu field I know of.

Mike this is not really a place to see snowy owls unless their is a big irruption. There are still plenty off ggo's though.

Man, they are gorgeous birds! Great work, Jason! I know this is a shot in the dark question but any ideas as to how long a possible invasion goes for in the spring? I plan to be back north early march and it would killer to get a few GGO shots a rare possibility of a Snowy.

Jeremy I am no expert by any means but if there really was a irruption I would think that they would be moving north by March. As far as I know this is the only snowy owl reported recently in St. Louis County. If more start to appear there may be a irruption but ever year about this time people get excited and start using the "I" word because a few show up in the state. There are some being recorded in the western parts of the state and even two in Itasca county so we will just have to wait and see what happens.

The GGO's are residents and can be found all year. I am surprised that none from the bog are being reported but then again I watched someone who was guiding birders drive right by one. Sometimes a huge gray bird isn't as obvious as one would think. March is a great time for GGO's because you will hear them calling which makes them easy to find.

Here is one from the other day, nothing great but I liked the prop. I have a million in trees this is my first on a mail box.

full-18500-14267-mail2.jpg

Thanks again for the comments.

Hwood there are usually a few show up around the harbor each year so its very possible. They usually get tagged though.

Mike, I heard of one in two harbors so I am sure some will show up.

This morning there was some better lighting.

full-18500-14387-snow.jpg