• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2 Deer, 1 shot.

Dylan33

From CCO today...kind of interesting.

GRAND RAPIDS, Minn. (AP)— It was an improbable outcome for a deer hunter in northeastern Minnesota who fired one gunshot. He bagged two deer.

Bob Schuder, of Deer River, was hunting near Grand Rapids Sunday and took a shot at a doe that had wandered into a clearing with two fawns.

Schuder climbed down from his tree stand and found a dead fawn. Schuder then saw a white spot in the woods and checked it out. He found his bullet initially struck the doe, passed through its body and hit the fawn. Schuder had killed both deer with a single shot.

The Duluth News Tribune says Schuder’s nephew was party hunting with him, so they had tags for both deer.

he gets a pass on that one i think i have seen shotgun slugs at 20 yards not pass through a deer, my 7mm a few years ago didnt get a pass through at under 40 yards, this year i blasted right through cant predicted where its gonna come out or if its gonna come out, if i was him i would have called the DNR and see if they could give him a tag instead of burning his nephews tag

I had a buddy two years ago shoot a doe and a yearling fawn with one bullet...very believable, but here's the kicker:

From an elevated stand, he pulled the trigger on a doe. The doe was standing behind the fawn. Because of the elevated stand, he had a clear shot a the doe. He pulled the trigger and dropped two deer...The bullet entered the doe, and left the same side of the doe in two spots. The fawn had a giant entry wound, and no exit wound...So the bullet went into the doe, made a u-turn, and hit the fawn standing inbetween the shooter and the doe...I couldn't believe it until i witnessed the two deer as they lie. The entry wound to the fawn was on the neck, and was huge...this meant that the bullet was a fragment-already expanded, and made a big impact to the fawn.

I've heard of pass through shots killing two deer, but never a JFK shot where the bullet returned from the direction it came only to hit another deer...Believe it or not!

I should mention this was a muzzleloader shot, 150 grains of powder, and i cannot recall the bullet wieght.

So, if you have a doe lined up, you would pass on the shot if there was another deer behind it?

Dylan, for me, YES. My ethics say I have one target, everything else should be clear by a wide margin before I shoot, because a bullet can do wierd things. With a little time one deer will clear from the other. Not going to beat the guy up for this, but I am sure mutiple deer are wounded in situations like this that are "accidental" but avoidable.

He is actually fortunate the fawn died on the spot. The bullet could have richocet funny going through deer no. 1 and wounded deer no. 2 and he prob. would not have looked for deer no. 2. as he was not shooting for it. Wonder how many time that happens.

This is a question that I thought about last weekend while out deer hunting and my mind was "unplugged" from the real world...the what if's....

I can't say I have shot many deer in my short stint of hunting but I have seen on other deer in our parties who have had a shot enter and exit in awkward positions.

If this guy didn't have another person in the party to tag, what would one do in a situation like this. Assuming the first step would be to call the CO, however...what would be the likely outcome after that.

The story I read he was suprised when he came up on the fawn because he thought he had shot a mature doe. I pasted the full article below.

From the Duluth News Tribune:

Bob Schuder knew something didn’t seem right. Deer hunting north of Grand Rapids on Sunday morning, Schuder took a shot at a doe about 90 yards away. The doe had come into a clearing from behind a brush pile, and it was accompanied by two fawns, said Schuder, of Deer River.

But when Schuder got down from his stand and went to inspect the deer he had killed, something didn’t make sense.

“I walked over there and saw that it was a fawn,” Schuder said. “I kind of questioned it. I was using a .30-06, and the bullet went in but didn’t come out. That didn’t make sense.”

After field-dressing the deer, he stood up.

“I have no idea why, but I looked into the woods and saw a white spot that didn’t look right,” he said.

Upon inspection, he found that it was the doe he had been shooting at. Schuder’s mystery was solved. His bullet had passed completely through the doe and had lodged in the fawn. The doe had run about 20 yards before dying.

Schuder had killed both deer with a single shot. His nephew was party hunting with him, so they had tags for both deer.

Shooting two deer with a single shot is uncommon, but it does happen occasionally. Last fall, Jim Boyd of Cloquet killed two does with one shot on opening day of Minnesota’s firearms deer season

This is a question that I thought about last weekend while out deer hunting and my mind was "unplugged" from the real world...the what if's....

I can't say I have shot many deer in my short stint of hunting but I have seen on other deer in our parties who have had a shot enter and exit in awkward positions.

If this guy didn't have another person in the party to tag, what would one do in a situation like this. Assuming the first step would be to call the CO, however...what would be the likely outcome after that.

When i took the advanced bowhunters ed class the DNR officer was in there and got a call about a guy who was turkey hunting shot 2 turkeys one shot, he said he will investigate to see is anything looked fishy but if everything looked good he was gonna let the guy keep the bird and go on his way. Accidents happen, if a person reports themselves for an accident i would think most of the time the CO will let them go as long as it was a true accident

Is it bad if I'm trying to take 2 deer with 1 shot? Who knows, maybe its unethical to attempt because the second might not be a clean kill. I almost had one a few years ago, but they wouldn't quite line up right. So I took my shot and the thing ran away looking fine, so I took the other one out. It was just standing there like "what the F just happened?" Dropped instantly, then the first one dropped about 80 yards away. 2 deer, but it took 2 shots. frown

You think he was purposely trying to kill 2 deer with one shot?

Now, after reading the full story, no.

Check out youtube, there are a few folks who have done it intentionally. I don't recommend it, and wouldn't consider it ethical, but that is just my opinion.

my experience with poor expanding bullets.

My 7mm-08 punched a hole through a doe at 50 yards.

This doe was facing straight on. The exit wound was no bigger than

a hole from a pencil, almost 3/16". Went straight through the chest and straight out the back leg.

So is it the shooters fault?

Of course, there's differences in manufacturers innovations that allow the shooters to choose ammo depending on their situtation and type of animal.

And as mentioned, hunter safety and education issues.

The ammo I was using was suggested to me from a manufacturer's rep.

to take bears.

here's an excerpt from a person who used the same bullet that i used.

I have recovered XXXX-- bullets from black bears where the bullet penetrated more than 40 inches, including bone, and still retained 100 percent of its weight during two-caliber expansion. Another bullet that was recovered from a large whitetail deer that was shot from end to end showed the same performance,

So now I just bow hunt...much safer for the neighbors.