• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Close encounter

hunt fish repeat

I was out pheasant hunting yesterday with my lab we were on a U.S. Fish and Game property a few miles from my house. The property is very overgrown with grasses from five to six feet high it's difficult to hunt as you can only follow the dog by occasional sightings of the grass moving out front of you. I was on a small rise looking down and saw the grass move about 30 yards out I assumed it was my dog getting birdie as the grass really started to move. The movement began heading right towards me, and it was obvious it was too big to be my dog, I caught a glimpse of dark brown and assumed a deer but instead of turning away it was still headed right at me. As it started picking up speed I caught a glimpes of white antler so in my head I was thinking buck but it was'nt veering away. I've jumped tons of deer while bird hunting over the years and usually you just see a white flag bounding away but this thing was obviously on a collision course with where I was standing, in the back of my mind I was picturing a big buck in full rut trying to make me his girlfriend. Meanwhile the grass was now parting like the Red Sea I see two tips of white perhaps four feet apart coming at me in a full run I started yelling all kinds of obcenities to get this thing to move away to know avail. When it reached six feet away I got the full view of what was about to gorge my life out it was a full grown Scottish Highlands bull approx. 1800 pounds at the last second I jumped to my left and it went by and slowed just past me in the tall grass I froze as still as I could except for the uncontrollable shaking. My lab showed up barking and carrying on like crazy. The bull chased him onto the neighboring farm where I was able to get a good look at him in the clearing, this will give you an idea of what I was facing

250px-Cow_on_Pupers.jpg

he was fast but no match for my lab. I called the dog back and we took the long way around to tell the farmer about the bull. The farmer said it was'nt his as all he has is dairy cows but a farmer a few miles away reported bringing one back from the auction about a month ago and having it escape as they were unloading it and it's been gone ever since. As we were talking the farmer said that now he understood why earlier today his combine driver reported large sections oh his corn being completely flattened appearently this bull has been living in his corn the whole time and the combine must have chased him out. He said it was now probably quite independent and the only way to stop it now was to shoot it I did not volunteer to join them in the capture as I was still shaking way to much and I had to go home and change my shorts.

Stopped to talk to the farmer today he finished combining without seeing the animal and figures it's probably back on the U.S. Fish property. I sent an email to the sherriff's office just as a heads up. If your hunting the U.S. Fish property West of the maintence facility on 80th Street in St. Croix County Good Luck!

Wow, great story. It's probably a good thing that he was alone. My understanding is they are social and protective of their herd.

My dad raised them for a few years. He would tell me stories of being chased around the truck and randomly finding dead critters hanging from their horns. It's a good thing your dog stayed out of reach.

Btw, the best hamburger I've ever had. He'd butcher them entirely into hamberger, no other cuts. grin

Hiya -

Yikes... scary deal.

My dad toyed with raising them when I was a kid. Incredibly hardy animals, but one of the reasons we didn't do it was their somewhat prickly disposition that made them hard to handle.

Our neighbor had some steers get loose on him once, and never did catch them all. We'd see them once in a while, and they were wild as deer.

2 springs ago during turkey season, my hunting partner and I headed out to a field we'd planned on hunting. Got out there, and it looked like the alfalfa had been trampled by about 100 cows. Were still trying to figure out what was going on when our neighbor drove up, somewhat frazzled looking, and said "Uhh, this will sound weird, but have you seen any buffalo running around?" Turns out some of his herd had gotten out (1st time in 17 years of raising them). He told us to keep our eyes peeled and stay in the woods if they came buy as they got a little ornery when they got agitated. He found them about 3 miles away...

Those bulls that run wild for that long are very dangerous. They will have a hard time getting that one back.

I bet they'd be no match for a well placed bullet.

I was out bow hunting SE of Breckenridge quite a few years ago. Jumped a cow moose laying by a brush pile about 15 steps from me. The afternoon hunt got cut short due to a leak in my pants. I can't hardly imagine what yours looked like!