• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

tumbleing bullet

sighted in the kids 30-30 its a 1960 Marlin 336 and I had got 150 grain fed classics for it and the first shot was dead center bull and the next one was just a bit high then it started spraying rounds all over the paper and keyholeing the paper.. bullet was going thru the paper side ways

The guy at the range was baffled as I was I asked the son if he was flinching and he range guy said No he is rock solid.

He also said that there is something wrong with the barrel or the the twist in the barrel can't handle the faster 150 loads and to try a heavier grain bullet.

I bought 170 grain remingtons sp and returned to the range WOW what a difference the kid is driving tacks with it now.. so to speak

Have any of you guys ever had this happen its a first for me

I've never had it happen, but I do know that there's a relationship between bullet weight vs. rifling speed (like 1:6 or 1:12) which effects the bullet's flight. It seems to be a bit more of a concern for the .223 and other smaller/ faster rounds than it usually is for something like most .30's or bigger.

I'm glad you guys got it sorted out, and I hope your son connects this year.

Quote:
He also said that there is something wrong with the barrel or the the twist in the barrel can't handle the faster 150 loads and to try a heavier grain bullet.

I bought 170 grain remingtons sp and returned to the range WOW what a difference the kid is driving tacks with it now.. so to speak

Another thing that happens, especially in the faster calibers, is the load is too much for the bullet, so the bullet will explode on impact instead of penetrating before expanding. The solution is to go to a lighter powder load or a heavier bullet.

Elwood,unload the rifle make sure it is unloaded again open the action check again too make sure it is unloaded leave the action open and with a light check the end of the barrel for any damage. The end of the barrel should be rounded this is called the crown if their is damage to it it can cause the same problems you are having.

Elwood,unload the rifle make sure it is unloaded again open the action check again too make sure it is unloaded leave the action open and with a light check the end of the barrel for any damage. The end of the barrel should be rounded this is called the crown if their is damage to it it can cause the same problems you are having.

Thanks and we checked that at the range and it seemed to be good.

since the 150 gr. bullets were tumbling and the 170 grain bullets were driving tacks, I believe that is has to do with spin rate of the barrel. the spin rate of your barrel is not fast enough to get a good spin on those lighter bullets. Stick with the 170's, when he is staring down a deer, he will not notice the kick. If you are practicing alot, consider getting a lead sled, those things are awesome, not cheap, but they hold a rifle or shot gun extremely well and with enough weight on the sled, you won't even know you fired a shot.....good luck this weekend Gordy

Gordy, I won't be hunting for another month. I am hunting in Iowa again this year, 1st weekend in December. They nice thing is, the land owner just sent an email yesterday about the 2 nice bucks he saw and the one bruiser. Now if he is calling it a bruiser, it's BIG

I had this same thing happen when I first started reloading for my 44 mag. As I was a Noob at it and just followed the different per grains of powder on each new can I tied. I was loading 15 grains of Bullseye when I should have only been loading about 7 grain for target loads on that fast burning power. When I went down to Bill's to shoot I was having Key holes and I had to dig the cases out of the gun. I had the guy at Bills watch and he asked me what I was loading and said Holy S!ht your going to blow your gun up! crazy So that was about 20 years ago and I've lived and learned! So yes higher power rounds will key hole! wink

Keyholing is from the bullet not getting a good enough twist to it, not sure if they are reloads or factory loads.

It could be a wore out barrel or poor ammo. You can't over "twist" a bullet but can have loads to slow.

Sounds like a barrel problem, oddly it should be the other way around with the 150's shooting good and the 170's tumbling.

Gordy, I won't be hunting for another month. I am hunting in Iowa again this year, 1st weekend in December. They nice thing is, the land owner just sent an email yesterday about the 2 nice bucks he saw and the one bruiser. Now if he is calling it a bruiser, it's BIG

Tom do You use the gun in your Avatar down there sorry off track but just wondering