• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

do i still have a chance

rkhinrichs

ok this morning went out to my stand i put up three weeks ago and havent hunted since. im on a edge of a williow swamp and a clear cut. this morning i get settled in... Im hunting close to a river. Well this morning some knuckle heads were duck hunting the river. I could hear everthing they were saying. I tried to not let it bother me. im on public land and they have a right to be there to, but i really dont want to hear how much u drank last night either.

so it was around 8 and i hear hard chrashing behind me i wipe my head back, and there is a huge ten pointer running, it ran 20 yards past my stand, tried to grunt, and get it to stop. it stopped about 100 yards away, then bounded of again. think he was coming into my doe pee, and the duck hunters scared him or something. wind was in my favor. So my question is.. is this buck lost??? or if i give it a couple days this friday before class . see if i can get a crack at him!! thoughts???

You'll never get a crack at him if you don't go back. If that one doesn't shows again, another one may. That's the great part about this time of year, anything can happen at anytime. Good luck!

This time of year you can go from zero to hero in a split second,he might have been on a trail of a doe that went through before sunrise you never know. One thing I do know is this is the time of year the big boy start to drop their guard and make mistakes and if your not out their when they do your not going to get him.

Public land, they are used to getting bumped so there is a good chance that deer may show itself again. This time of year if he doesn't show another deer will at some point so I'd give it a few more goes. That being said, one of my favorite spots that I hunt is a doe core area and I rarely see a buck there early season but it is pure gold come late season for seeing big bucks. Typically, I will see one or two a season and it is a one time shot to close the deal as they are just passing through looking for a little action. It is that time of year, so that might have been the case, and if so, you know where you'll be sitting next year at this time of year!

Tunrevir~

If there is a north or west wind on thursday ill miss morning class. i have a midterm at 11:45 so i have to back for that. i would go friday morning but i teach that morning. should i tickle his nose with some doe estrous?

Just forget him he's long gone! Um, what river was that by again? whistle

I was thinking the same thing. GPS coordinates so I can avoid that area?

I would definitely go back. The story makes me believe the duck hunters caused him to get nervous, not you. Less traffic on the river, good chance you see him again. Wait, since you can't make it during the week, GPS coordinates? wink

Unless I missed it you really never said anything that made me think the buck even knew you were there, he just bolted from the duck hunters. Even if he ignored a call, he was spooked it was probably going to take more than a call to turn him around. Hmm it wasn't by chance near my river was it?

bigbucks- it wasn't by Long Prairie. Ill be out there this friday for opener, you said another post you live not to far of co rd 36. well if you go west on 36 before great bear taxidermy. there is a bunch of pines tress we planted on the left hand side going west on 36 thats my dads land.

OK so i can go out wed from 12 to sunset, and see if i can get this guy, but when i gun hunted last year i say nothing sitting in the afternoon. I moved my stand about 200 yards from last year though

I say this big boy at in the morning, but on thurday i can only hunt till 9:45am. so what should i do, just sit wed night or thurday morning?

I'd sit both if you can. This time of year any minute you can be in the stand, could be that minute or part of a minute that's unforgettable. Sitting until 9:45 some morning is definitely long enough to shoot one. For sure two solid hours of shooting light, a little more I think.

I know where you're talking about the pine trees it's about 4 miles straight South of my house. I can see Clotho out my windows.

Go sit when you can. But keep in mind that you need to plan for having a deer to deal with.

If you have to leave to get to a mid-term exam, shooting a deer when you only have enough time left to walk out by yourself and drive to class is going to make you either late or unable to take care of your deer.

TooTallTom- you are right, bad things happen when are rush something like that! during gun season i can get after him if i dont see him tomorrow!

bigbucks- if you go east on 36 you see the tamerack swamp that meets up with the pines. there is deer stand you can see from the road. thats mine! so if u drive past sat, give me some honks!!

rkhinrichs- I won't drive that way Saturday, we'll be mostly hunting a few miles further West or at my place. Good luck to you though. If you don't mind me asking what's your Dad's name? If you want to send me a pm go ahead.