• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Found A GPS while Hunting

Hello:

I found a GPS last weekend. The owner lives somewhere around the cities.

Contact me if you lost one.

Glad you found it and are trying to return it. But this could lead to so many bad jokes. Like hopefully their still not lost to come and get it! shocked

I don't think this one was there more than a day or two but maybe. My son spotted it from the back seat of the pickup. We couldn't believe he saw it, he said it must be because he is used to watching the road. He recently got back from doing route clearance in Afghanistan.

If his son was doing route clearance in Afghanistan he may have been looking for little black boxes on the side of roads more then Dogs? wink

Herdog,

Have you tried to turn it on and see if they had a HOME postion marked? Maybe you could track them down by that?

Reddog - good catch for I read it as GSP so my bad. I don't think the chips in a GPS would tell the owners location etc. blush

You can save a Home postion as a Way point. I have chips in three of my GPS's and all have Home, Camper, buddy's cabin's ect marked as a saved way points. Just bring up the guys way points and scroll down looking for HOME or Cabin or something like that. wink

I kinda wish he had spotted a good GSP instead of a a good GPS and I have a red dog. I had to change some settings and stuff. I think the home waypoint is in Chanhassan and the cabin is in Hubbard county.

I kinda wish he had spotted a good GSP instead of a a good GPS and I have a red dog. I had to change some settings and stuff. I think the home waypoint is in Chanhassan and the cabin is in Hubbard county.

Any way you could put the data into googlemaps and find out an address? Might be able to cross-reference a phone number, too.

I feel like Sherlock Holmes! This is fun smile

You can save a Home postion as a Way point. I have chips in three of my GPS's and all have Home, Camper, buddy's cabin's ect marked as a saved way points. Just bring up the guys way points and scroll down looking for HOME or Cabin or something like that. wink

It might not be such a good idea to put "home" as a waypoint. Do you really want anyone who finds your GPS to show up at your house when you may or may not be there? If you put the local police station, and they have the best of intentions, you'll probably get your gear back. If they don't, at least they won't be coming to your house...

I think you can enter latitude and longitude in Google Earth or Google maps, just make sure that you're dealing with the same projection information or you'll be off target. If you can do that in Google Maps, you should be able to find the address fairly simply. Or at least get yourself directions.

This is pretty fun, isn't it? grin

It might not be such a good idea to put "home" as a waypoint. Do you really want anyone who finds your GPS to show up at your house when you may or may not be there? If you put the local police station, and they have the best of intentions, you'll probably get your gear back. If they don't, at least they won't be coming to your house...

Oh it's ok, if I'm not home my wife still knows how to SHOOT! laugh

Saving home as a way point is a good way to have more stuff taken. My apt. is not a good place to have nice stuff left in a car as a friend found out a few years back on black friday. He had one gps in the window with home saved on it and two he just bought as gifts covered up on the floor, well they were taken and two days later they visited his house and took a bunch of other electronics leaving a nice note telling him thanks for the nice stuff and thanks for letting us know where you live. He knows now to never save home on his gps in his cars.

I have also heard not to save your actual house as home, I just saved the gas station in my town, I hope I can find my way from there. They might take your GPS and you garage door opener, or your vehicle for that matter and just drive right in.