• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best all around boat

coombia21

I am looking for a used boat in the 17-18ft range. I am going to be tournament bass fishing out of it, as well as big water walleye fishing, and taking people out for boat rides. What do you recommend. I would like to keep it under 15000. I would get a bass boat if they handled big water better. What do you recommend?

Thanks Dan

do you have one? If so how do you like it? pros and cons. How high out of the water does it sit when not at plane. I have been using my dads zx2050 and it sits pretty high out of the water. The one thing I was worried about was speed with a tiller. I have been looking at a 1800 pro v side console so i could still gain some room over a full windshield, but I will get the max hp of a windshield boat.

Skeeter, Yarcraft and Ranger would be at the top of my list. I'm particular to boats with a windshield, so I would limit myself to those models. After that, you really need to get inside the boat and compare features. Rod lockers, seperate baitwells and storage are biggies in my book. Good luck on your quest.

Haven't got one (yet), but if I were in the market this coming year, I'd look HARD at the new MX1825 from Skeeter. Very versatile, spacious and well though-out layout and features. I'm in a Skeeter wx1850, and very happy with it, but am looking forward to layout changes similar to the new MX (near future I'm told) or to the 20' MX also on the horizon. Skeeter has definately stepped up to the plate in the walleye / multispecies boat market. Also excited to see Warrior back in the game. They will get a look from me as well. Good luck with the hunt. It's almost as fun as the "kill".

Under $15k, it will take a bit of shopping but I'd be looking for a late 90s Ranger 690 or 692 with a Merc 175 EFI. These are the first generation of their Fisherman multi-species boats. Heck of a boat IMO.

I didn't read the OP careful enough. Scratch the new glass then. I've also seen a couple early 2000's Ranger 618s for for just over and right at 15K this fall. Both had 115 4 strokes hanging off them. Not common, but worth the wait. Great small / mid sized lake / river multi-species hull.

truth,

if I had to choose between between a ranger or a river pro it would be no debating. I would take the river pro over a ranger anyday.

Yeah, but it's both that would make me a happy man...I'm not sure i would pick the RP if i had to choose, but that is because i already have a boat that is readily used in the river...it just goes a lot slower than a RP would grin

I appreciate the help. I am leaning towards an aluminum because I can get a newer package in the same length, with about the same features. I really like the layout of the pro-v. If i buy a double counsel, is there any way that I can remove the second counsel. I really like only having the side console. The only reason I would need the double counsel is for the glove box.

Full windshields are great for big water and early spring/late fall running. But you can easily get by with a side console (after all you'll be behind the bubble, right?).

For new, there are not a lot of options for 17/18' boat in that price range. For a tad more you could run a new Lund Rebel XL (what I have), but it's a little narrow for frequent big water. Crestliner Fishawk might also be in a similar price range. 4 strokes are the norm here

If you buy used, I'd be looking for a mid 2000's Lund Explorer/Alumacraft Navigator/Crestliner Fishhawk. Mostly 4 strokes EFI's and some 2 stroke DFI's. I would veer away from carb'd 2strokes, but some people like them.

If you want a tourney based boat, you are looking at late 90's/early 00's Lund Pro-V's. Right around that time was when Lund switched to their IPS hull, so check that out first. I too have seen some 17 and 18 foot Rangers in the mid to upper $Teens. They are a fine boat as well and should be considered. 4 strokes of this era were carb'd, but still a pretty nice option. Kind of the early days of Evinrude Fichts and Merc Optimax 2S DFI. Most of these were good, but your research there too as there were some problematic models.

Also keep in mind that many of the features found in tourney based boat designs of 10-15 years ago are nearly standard in today's boat designs.

do you have one? If so how do you like it? pros and cons. How high out of the water does it sit when not at plane. I have been using my dads zx2050 and it sits pretty high out of the water. The one thing I was worried about was speed with a tiller. I have been looking at a 1800 pro v side console so i could still gain some room over a full windshield, but I will get the max hp of a windshield boat.

That 1800 Provee would do the job. Have you ranked the importance of the various uses? Fishing tourney bass and giving boat rides are a good ways apart. You can fish walleye on most lakes except maybe mille lacs and low out of a good bass boat. But they are sort of a 2 person deal.

I fish out of a 2004 Lund Explorer SS 17' with a 115 Yamaha 4 stroke on it. Great boat and you can find them in the $15,000 range now with all the bells and whistles and even a kicker now days. If your looking tin its a great boat in that 17' class.

The most important is tournament bass fishing, but I want to be able to take it on big water. Is there a bass boat that handles bigger water better than others? Is there any boats that are between a bass boat and a walleye boat?

Most bass boats handle big water well if you know how to drive them. The Pros are out lakes from Erie to Sam Rayburn that make Mille lacs look like a calm pond. Are you going to get wetter in a bass boat? Absolutely, but it's knowing how to handle that water that counts.

Bass boats SUCK on big water in waves. We were on Mille Lacs this weekend in waves a 17' walleye boat handle no problem and bass boats were bouncing all over the place and some were even going back on the trailers. These owners know how to drive their boats b the way. They just arent fun to fish out of when it ruff.

If you really want to fish bass tourney's get a bass boat but if you want something that will handle some waves get a good multi species boat.

I love my Crestliner 1750SC Fish Hawk. It's rated for a 115 ( I think the newer ones are higher). It has a 93 inch beam and a larger front deck compared to Lunds and Alumacrafts of similar sizes (I know because I looked at all three before buying). It seems to go through semi-nasty water well. If I open it up and trim it properly, I skip over wave tops pretty well. I haven't had it out in really nasty water though. Plenty of storage. I bought it with a 48lb, 24v bow mount. A week ago Saturday up in Grand Rapids I needed to put it to 8 to get out of a bay that had a 30mph headwind but that was toward the end of the day. Otherwise, the 48 pulls it through the water without problem.

Northlander, I've been on a few walleye tourneys on Mille Lacs over the years when pros ,driving walleye boats, got dumped over backwards so don't lump all boats or drivers together A walleye boat is going to catch much more wind than a bass boat in big winds as well. I do agree that if your main focus is tourney bass fishing get a bass boat but some multi species boats will do a good job as well.

What would be the best multi-species that would let me fish tournaments well, and might not be as well in the waves, but would handle better than a bass boat in the waves. I really don't want to limit myself to less windy lakes, when I drive up to lake of the woods I don't want to get blown off. I know that you will still get blown off sometimes, like last week when we were up on winnipeg. That is expected but I want to reduce the opportunity.

I'm thinking a Ranger 617 (or 618) is maybe what you want. There's a beautiful looking double bubble 617 located in Saint Cloud for sale. Has a 140 EFI four stroke too that goes 48 mph. A tad out of your price range, but you might be able to stretch a couple of $k to get a Ranger. You can get rear deck extensions made also so two guys can easily fish. Even some modern electronics on there.

Also a 2004 Dual Console Lund 1700 Explorer for sale there that's exactly on your target price.

[note from admin: please read forum policy before posting again. thanks]

If I were looking to spend 15k I would want a modified 17/18 x 60 jon boat that you could set-up to your liking most of these hulls can take a 75hp and have side consoles. you can save a lot of $$$$ by buying a bare bones mod v and make it one of a kind just like you want it. I've seen some awesome looking jon boats that are one of a kind.

just my 2c