• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

shooting does with fawns

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes for sure, done it many times. Not my preference to shoot a doe with a spotted fawn, but I have done it once at least that I can remember. It didn't act any different than bigger, older ones. There was no wandering around crying or anything like that.

I won't early season bow hunting. Shotgun season I want to kill a buck so won't shoot doe then. However once Muzzy season starts is when we always shoot a few does. It's always cold then so dont have to worry about dealing with warm weather and the fawns have seen it all by then and can surive. Just what I do, have no problem with those that choose to shot em though!

The only reason I won't shoot a doe with a fawn is because of all of the horror stories of dead does and fawns that are bleating and bawling over the top of their dead mother. I'm not exactly a bleeding heart tree hugger, but that'd be a tough scene for me to watch/have caused. I have no doubt those fawns will manage just fine, but I don't want any part of it. I have no problem with anyone else who feels otherwise though...

I don't hesitate to shoot a doe with fawns - if the fawns don't have spots.

Watch a doe and fawn this time of year, the fawns will feed right alongside their mother, whether its corn, clover, grass etc. They'll survive just fine with out ma.

I think where leaving the doe survive would be in a low density deer area where you want more deer, that big doe will have twins next year and will also help the current years fawns survive roads, hunters, etc.

I will never do it again. The fawn basically watched the dressing and screamed the whole time. If others want to deal with that...go for it. Skol.

I had the same thing happen a few years back on the last day of rifle season. Not something I want to do again. Actually had to chase her off in the dark. Drug the doe to a spot better suited for gutting and swore something walking. Shined my headlamp and there she was standing about an arms length away. Definitely took away from the enjoyment of the day.

Once I shoot a doe with a fawn and bleated for at least 30mins. Had to put the fawn down too. But I tell you what, that fawn was the best tasting deer I ever sunk my teeth into.

we shot 2 spotted fawns on a crop depredation permit (among others) this summer. Felt bad doing it, but they were far and away the best deer I've ever eaten.

Served the grilled backstrap to a non-game eater and she said it was the best meat, period, she had ever had!

we shot 2 spotted fawns on a crop depredation permit (among others) this summer. Felt bad doing it, but they were far and away the best deer I've ever eaten.

Served the grilled backstrap to a non-game eater and she said it was the best meat, period, she had ever had!

You did tell her that Venison tastes like cr@p but that you are the best cook she ever had right! shockedlaugh

reminds me of this...

Controversy has long raged about the relative quality/taste of venison and beef as gourmet foods. Some people say venison is tough, with a strong “wild” taste. Others insist venison’s flavor is delicate. An independent food research group was retained by the Venison Council to conduct a taste test to determine the truth behind these conflicting assertions once and for all.

First, a Grade A Choice Holstein steer was chased into a swamp a mile and a half from a road and shot several times. After some of the entrails were removed, the carcass was then dragged back over rocks, logs, and through mud and dust to the road. It was then thrown into the back of a pickup truck and driven through rain and snow for 100 miles before being hung out in the sun for a day.

Next, it was then lugged into a garage where it was skinned and rolled around on the floor for awhile. Strict sanitary precautions were observed throughout the test, within the limitations of the butchering environment. For instance, dogs and cats were allowed to sniff and lick the steer carcass, but most of the time were chased away when they attempted to bite chunks out of it.

Next, a sheet of plywood left from last year’s butchering was set up in the basement on two saw horses. The pieces of dried blood, hair and fat left from last year were scraped off with a wire brush last used to clean out the grass stuck under the lawn mower.

The skinned beef carcass was then dragged down the steps into the basement where a half dozen inexperienced, yet enthusiastic and intoxicated men, worked on it with meat saws, cleavers, hammers and dull knives. The result was 375 pounds of soup bones, four bushel baskets of meat scraps, and a couple of steaks that were an eighth of an inch thick on one edge and an inch and a half thick on the other edge.

The steaks were seared on a glowing red hot cast iron skillet to lock in the flavor. When the smoke cleared, rancid bacon grease was added, along with three pounds of onions, and the whole conglomeration was eventually fried for two hours.

The meat was gently teased from the frying pan and served to three intoxicated and blindfolded taste panel volunteers. Each member of the panel thought it was venison. One volunteer even said it tasted exactly like the venison he has eaten in hunting camps for the past 27 years.

The results of this scientific test conclusively show that there is no difference between the taste of beef and venison…

Blogger’s Note: Although the preceding copy (taken, by the way, from an Email joke I recently received) is meant to be funny…there’s also an important message that all hunters should keenly observe when it comes to caring for wild game. If you want it to taste its very best, then treat it with the proper care it deserves by observing good meat handling skills. Need some advice? Here’s a good place to start by clicking HERE.

I've shot plenty of does with fawns, but never ones with spots, I've had the fawns stick around a little, and I have had them even come back the next day looking. But they have never bawled for their mothers. I think if they were that small, I'd have a hard time shooting her. The does I shoot with fawns, it is pretty obvious the fawns will be just fine without her.