• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

North Shore Fall Colors

Hi everyone, its been a while since Ive had much to post with the new baby but here's a few from me:

I knew the colors were peaking along the North Shore soon so I got the day off work and left home around 4:45 AM. Any good trip up the North Shore should begin with a good sunrise shot, this one is from Crystal Bay just north of the city of Silver Bay:

Crystal-Bay-Sunrise-XL.jpg

Crystal-Bay-Sunrise2-XL.jpg

From there it was off to Oberg Mountain neat Lutsen for a couple mile long hike up the mountain. The weather was threatening but it never actually rained until about 1PM and I got to the base of the mountain around 8AM:

oberg-mt-fall2-XL.jpg

oberg-mt-fall1-XL.jpg

Next stop was a short drive to Britton peak just a few miles south. It was supposed to be a short hike too, but I misinterpreted a sign and ended up going for a little jaunt on the Superior Hiking Trail before making it to the mountain - no harm no foul, I made it there eventually:

britton-peak1-XL.jpg

Hopefully I can fill in the gaps on my trip a little later, but thats it for now.

Now that Ive posted these...I do see that Ive missed some sensor dust on a couple of these, but Ill clean that up.

Nice work!

We may even have crossed paths, although by the timeframe of your posting probably not. We took our fall color workshop clients up to Carlton Peak, and photographed back in the direction of Britten Peak (late afternoon light made it the best option). We ended up doing quite a few 180-degree pano series looking north and stretching from west to east. Gorgeous views, though it took a lot of huffing and puffing to get up to the top.

I highly recommend the view from the Tofte Spur overlook of Carlton Peak (the spur is marked at the trail) looking north in the late afternoon/evening. It's a hilly 1.5 mile hike one way, but golly is it worth it to have an unbroken 240-degree view including a stretch from 5-6 miles inland to several miles out over the lake and lots of lakeshore.

Gorgeous color from the tops of Britten and Carlton, as well as a bit farther inland along the Honeymoon Trail and Heartbreak Hill. Very little good color along the actual lake shore.

If you head inland from Tofte, there's a small kiosk on the right side of the road with fall color maps. Grab one and follow the route. Time well spent! smile

We'd worried that Thursday's rain and wind knocked down color we'd scouted on Tuesday, but there's a TON of great color there. I reckon it's gonna be one busy weekend up that way. smile

Anyway, thanks very much again Outlaw Torn for sharing the work!

Thanks guys!

And Steve - it sounds like we were probably close, although doubtful we actually crossed paths. But, Ill be taking your advice on some of those tours - I did happen to pick up one of those maps on the way to Britton peak though.

Ill be interested to check the boards to see if anyone has more color from this weekend...hopefully it will stick around into next weekend. But, I havent been out grouse hunting now since opening weekend so Ive got to decide if one last fall color outing is more important than one of many grouse hunting days this fall...tough choice!

Thanks for the tips and compliments!

OT, we figure what color there is along the Shore itself (mostly the golds of aspen/birch) will be prime this next weekend. And the Tamaracks should be very nice by then too. As always, the Grand Portage overlook is breathtaking, and when the golds are prime, it's easily one of the best views along the Shore. Also, while the flow is down quite a lot at Pigeon River Falls, I actually like photographing it better than when it's roaring. Quite a haul up the Shore from Duluth, but worth the drive IMO.

There also are some nice fall color images to be made along the rivers down there. Flow in most of them is low, but that can make for more peaceful images.

Some of the maples had shed leaves inland as of yesterday, but still a lot of really nice color. I expect, even with the nice weather, that they'll decline through the course of the week and won't look great by next weekend.

Sure has been a wonderful fall color season so far!

Every year I take the first or second weekend in Oct off from hunting so we can either go up to ELY or the Northshore to check out the fall colors. This year we are heading to Grand M, but my son and his girl friend have a Collage exam this weekend. So, I guess we are going to be going up the weekend of the 15th to look at the STICKS! cry Oh well still nice to see the big lake! smile

Since when are you fey? I was talking to fishingfey.

Opp's you had used my reply so I seen Leech~~ at the top. Thought maybe you just screwed up fyi and put fey! It was after noon you know! wink