• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

camp ripley

crestliner16

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Monkster and Gray Fox:

Thought I was working on Friday, but turns out with Monday the 10th being a holiday, i have friday off as well. However, I will be home from my Ripley hunt Thursday night, so if you want to hit me up on email ([email protected]) or on here, I will more than happy to share with you any knowlege I may gain during my hunt that will help you and the youngsters out.

Thanks for the offer Musky18.

Monkster, Mitchell and I will be in my black F150 with a black topper and deer carrier on the back.

FOXHNTR on the Wisconsin plate.

See ya there and good luck to your youngster.

Rob

The Ripley talk has calmed since the Youth and Veterans hunts, let's get her stirred up again.. Who's headed for this weeks A Hunt ??

This will be my 5th time up at Ripley for the A hunt and each time is exciting as the last. However, this year will be my first year of our group being able to get off work on Wednesday, so we will be heading up in the middle of the night tonight. It looks as if we will be getting there right around the 5am gate opening, but would anyone care to share what its like at that time or if you arrive even earlier than that, I know it has a listing of roads that are not allowed for staging or parking, what do/have the people who get there before the 5am do?

Although I'm not sure if there is a huge benefit to being the first in line unless you have gps coordinates mapped for past stands, it will still be fun to spend Wednesday among all the other hunters sharing stories. Hope to see some of you up there.

BM

This will be first hunt for me and my buddy looking forward to the chaos/frenzy. We have a couple suggested spots and since we live really close to Ripley we not going to camp but take a number and get in line.

We both have low expectations and just plan to learn the areas and find some "unpressured" woods...hopefully. We'll take some stand and weigh-in shots and give a report for the next group on Monday.

Good Luck,

mr

This will be first hunt for me and my buddy looking forward to the chaos/frenzy. We have a couple suggested spots and since we live really close to Ripley we not going to camp but take a number and get in line.

Meat-Run, I did this a few years back. Thought I was smart and showed up an hour after the gates opened in the morning. Well I still had to wait in line an hour. Unless they have sped up their process I wouldn't worry about getting there early.

We will be there by 5am tomorrow as well Weather is looking about perfect! Should be a good time.

I dont think there is much benefit to being up towards the front of the line...I think it just gives a guy a little more confidence getting set up before shooting light ( or close to that ). its also fun visiting with other guys, (have an adult beverage of course), and give the bows their final tune up session.

What do people do before 5am? Take a nap, or drink coffee, and wait..

Both my buddy & I called the DNR today to verify. The guy said your two deer in Camp Ripley do not count as two deer in a Management area. If I shoot a buck there, I can't shoot a buck somewhere else, but the fact that I've shot a doe in a Management area doesn't mean that I wipe my buck tag out by shooting a doe in Ripley. As long as I buy another Management tag for the doe in Ripley. He said I can still shoot another deer in a regular management area.

From what I understand there is 2 gates. The outside gate and then the gate to enter into the woods. The outside gate opens at 5 to get into the compound, then the inside gate doesnt open up till 5:45 am I correct on that? If your staying off base can you leave a vehicle inline on the base and then be dropped off outside the gate and walk to your vehicle? Thanks for any help.

Both my buddy & I called the DNR today to verify. The guy said your two deer in Camp Ripley do not count as two deer in a Management area. If I shoot a buck there, I can't shoot a buck somewhere else, but the fact that I've shot a doe in a Management area doesn't mean that I wipe my buck tag out by shooting a doe in Ripley. As long as I buy another Management tag for the doe in Ripley. He said I can still shoot another deer in a regular management area.

funny cause when i emailed the dnr a few weeks ago i got the opposite response, they said they do count toward the limit even though its a special hunt

They count towards the statewide limit of 5 but do not count towards your limit of 2 in a managed area. A buck is obviously your only buck of the year.

I had no questions on the buck thing, but the doe seemed unclear & looks more like what the previous poster said. That's not what the DNR guy told us however. Now you wonder what to believe.

I didn't hear that. Saw 1 deer on stand in two days of hunting, it saw me rushed my shot a bit & shot over her, hunted 3 spots. It wasn't a big deer by any means. Surprised at the tree varieties in there, popple, oak, birch, pine, but primarily human... Seemed slow based on the few guys I talked to.