• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Nothern lights . . .

. . . will be HUGE tonight in northern MN. Supposed to be visible all the way down in Illinois/Iowa. If you have clear skies and want to view them, head out as soon as it's full dark. And NO moon to screw up the display.

I won't be out there tonight. Too many other things to do. But absolutely post any of your NL images here. Looks like a wonderful display in the making. And, ahem, 2012/2013 Mayan calendar here we come! gringrin

All clouds down here cry Great photos. Where do you get a NL forecaast?

NOAA has some details on the "space weather" page.

I found it a long time ago and bookmarked it on my Mac at home, unfortunately don't have much... oh wait a sec....

Space Weather

ha. I found it!

Oh. by the way... the first pic is amazing. Well, I like em all but that first one stands out.

Ken, beautiful photos! I had a hard time picking between one and two. The best spot for Northern Light activity is the Alaska Geophysical site located Here

You can even sign up for e-mail alerts to help keep track of solar events.

Ahh ha! good point.

The Aural map on the right is the one for the Northern/Southern lights (although if we see the southern lights up here... we are in some serious trouble). If I look at this and notice MN is blue or orange, I'm tryin to find a spot to get away from city lights and take some pics.

The Storms data (geomagnetic/solar radiation) on the rt side is helpful as well as these are the storms that cause the Aurora borealis. You can click on them, which is interesting, as it gives details as to what the event was. Might be too sceicncy for some, for me, it's not possible to be TOO sciency.

definitely not the most simple stuff. I think if you typed aurora borealis forecast into the search engine of your choice you can find some more easily read sites. Actually the alaska site posted is a good one, I've been there before smile

Thanks all! EG2 - I was all over the board last night with settings, experimenting quite a bit. When the were bright I was able to shoot at ISO 800, f/8 and a 10 second exposure. As they dimmed, I peaked out at 1250 ISO, f/4 and a 25 second exposure.

Jarrid - these have been around since the beginning of time. These are a result of what's happening on the sun, not what's happening on the earth.

Tonight's show was forecast to be as good as last night's but it was not. It was going really well while there was still a fair amount of light in the sky from sundown, but when full dark arrived it had already begun to fall apart.

Here are a few from the evening. Pretty much a bust as far as aurora drama goes, but some very nice colors, and one bonus Milky Way shot with a bit of light painting on the trees.

Makes a fella wish he'd have sprung for an equatorial camera mount so lower iso and longer exposures could follow starts and nebulosity through the night sky. I do love the night stuff. smile

All were shot with the 5D and 17-40 @ f4, iso3200, from about 50 to 90 seconds on the bulb setting with tripod and remote shutter release.

When the aurora is pretty quiet and steady instead of tall and proud and dancing, these kinds of images are the result. Ideally, the display would have been strong enough that I could have knocked down iso a couple of stops and kept exposures under 60 seconds. Longer exposures cause the stars to blur or make trails.

Probably the durn aurora will flare up and get wild now after I go to sleep. grin

full-635-12616-one.jpg

full-635-12617-two.jpg

full-635-12618-verttreesmw.jpg

I'd have stayed out, but 7 hours of sleep is better than less sleep. grin

Worst part was, when I got up in the middle of the night for a bathroom trip, the aurora was going strong, including flares high in the sky. I'd have gotten dressed and headed out right then and there if it weren't for our fall color workshop scouting today. Sigh. smile