• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Corn

walleyeking19

How long till the corn will be off in Central MN? I'm hunting an apple orchard that is surrounded by corn on 3 sides and they arent really going for apples till dark. I'm guessing they're just sitting in the corn all day. It looks pretty close to being harvested, but I'm not a farmer, so I dont know exactly what to look for. Thanks!

Usually after the farmer(s) pick their beans they'll pick their corn. Farmers will be hitting the fields for beans within the next week I'd say down here in southern MN. A few days of dry weather some sun and they'll be out in the fields that the beans are dry enough.

When the corn comes out, that all depends on the farmer. How much land they run, how much of that is beans/corn, weather all affect how soon the corn will come out. Mostly the weather though because wet fields=can't get in fields and the % of moisture in the corn. I'd say if the weather is right the corn could start coming out in 3-4 weeks, like I said, depending on the farmer.

Yeah it all depends on who needs what. Some farmers will pick corn, fill their dryer bins, and then go and pick beans while the first bins are drying. The corn has really started to turn brown in SEMN, as well as the beans. I would say by the end of next week we will start seeing some crops leaving the fields by combine and not just getting chopped. With that said though, it really varies. Last year their was still a standing corn field where I was muzzle loader hunting. It really depends on the farmer and their particular operation. Most years the fields are bare by the end of October. Last year was atypical, we had a very wet fall with flooding, many of the corn fields got picked before the bean fields.

Yep, it depends. How dry does the corn look, how dry has it been there, how dry will it be for awhile, the farmer's schedules, etc. Most farmers would like the corn to dry out completely naturally first versus paying the fuel costs to dry it. That said, I hunt central Minnesota and the farmers who lease my neighbor's farm place land harvested the soybeans about the first week of October and the corn by mid-October. They had good early planting conditions though last year and not much different this year. I'm hoping they pick the corn by mid-October again because they just combine it and leave the rest, pressure seeding beans over it the following spring. The rest isn't much given these guys use top notch equipment, but it's something and will draw the deer out for morning and evening nibbles.

Driving back and forth to work (Sauk Centre to Little Falls) I take the back roads this time of year to look for deers and see how the crops are coming along. Right now the farmers are chopping the heck out of the corn. I would say that a majority of the fields will be chopped by this time next week, especially with the nice weather they are predicting. If they are picking the fields, it might stay standing up a bit longer. Beans will start coming out of the fields about the first week of Oct.

The beans in my area (central MN) look further away from harvest than the corn does. I think a lot of folks planted the quick growing corn this year so maybe some will harvest corn first?? My buddy just took down a bunch of corn for silage this week. Cant wait till it's all gone, I have yet to see a deer and I've hunted every evening except tues. But that might be at least a month away yet?

Per soybeans...they are going to look "ready" prior to them actually being ready due to the frost we had last week. Some of the shorter varieties (shorter growing season=mature quicker) should be coming out soon. But overall the beans will be in my estimation 3 weeks before "prime" combining is seen. Corn? Well as mentioned it varies. If a guy run a lot of acreage he may start to take some out around mid Oct. depending on moisture and he'll still have to dry it down some I'm going to speculate. It will probably come to a point where they feel comfortable enough with what they have left so they'll monitor the forecast and let it stand in the field as long as they can to get it to dry down in the field.

On average however...corn will be coming out at the end of Oct. to first part of Nov.

Saw my first combines in the corn yesterday on the way home from work, two combines, a grain cart and two semis working. Probably a big farmer with lots of ground to cover, getting a start on the corn. I personally like to see a slower harvest,if most of the crops are out by pheasant opener, it gets to be a slaughter and less birds left for later on.

Only thing harvested so far in this area is small grains & spuds. A little bit of silage chopping going on, but not very much as usual. The bulk of the corn seems to come out the last week of October most years, sometimes later. The beans will go a bit before that.

This year a lot of corn will be harvested before the beans. In the area I frequent, the beans look ready but a quick inspection of the pod will show you they have a lot of moisture in them yet(still green), while the plant itself was killed off due to a hard freeze. Same with corn, but most was farther along then the beans anyway. Moisture content varied from 16-28% depending on the type of soil. Another thing that may make this year an interesting harvest is there is a huge shortage of LP in southern MN due to a broken pipeline. So that may delay harvest for some being they cant dry there crop or it will be very expensive to do so. Hope that helps.

Chopped a field yesterday for a farmer..corn was 22%. only had to leave one small spot out there that was too green. Was nice to sit in the tractor for awhile yesterday. Lots of guys trying a little here and there tho around here.

[ Another thing that may make this year an interesting harvest is there is a huge shortage of LP in southern MN due to a broken pipeline. So that may delay harvest for some being they cant dry there crop or it will be very expensive to do so. Hope that helps.