• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hunting shows

eyeguy 54

They are pretty easy to spot. Some of my favorites are when they are walking or driving to a spot and "suddenly" spot a buck bedded just off the road. It's all real dramatic and they play it up, the buck will lay there for a while as the "hunters" do a little sneek in plain sight of the deer. Finally the deer has had enough and rises to his feet to see what all the comotion is about and they blast him at 50 to 75 yards away in the wide open woods.

My other favorite signs of a high fence show are when a giant buck walks by at 10 yards and the hunter admits he can't afford that buck. I have also seen a group of guys tracking a buck and when "suddenly" another giant buck pops up and a 2nd hunter dramatically shoots him with a big groups of people there to celebrate. grin

Pretty much any show where you can just tell the deer are tame, they try and play camera tricks but you know better. grin

There are 3 hunting shows I have the DVR set for:

1. Gun It with Benny Spies (Best show on TV. Definetly not out there to make himself look like the greatest hunter of all time, he knows what its all about, doesnt take himself too seriously, and doesnt look like he just walked out of a Cabelas.)

2. The Crush w\ Lee and Tiffany (if you've seen the show, you know)

3. Jim Shockey's hunting adventures (gets close, and I mean close to a lot of dangerous animals, the one where he brought his father and father in law deer hunting is one of the funniest hunting shows I've ever seen.)

Other than those 3 every hunting show is the same to me. I would like to think that the fenced in hunts are few and far between but no one really knows unless they're there.

The best hunting show in my opinion is:

1. Midwest Whitetail (The web episodes and regional shows are top notch and useful in keeping up with real time rut activity in your region)

I recently found these on go muddy dot com and have been enjoying hten as well. They all have a very similar marketing strategy, product placement versus shoving it down your throat. Makes it so much easier to watch.

2. Hollowed Ground Outdoors

3. Heartland Bowhunter

All of these are web based programs so no need to pay more money to your cable company.

im losing interest in hunting shows now, they are more about pushing products and editing to make it look like the deer was called in with a primos call or H&S calll, but in all reality it was done after the harvest

Can you say INFOMERCIALS - I rarely watch them anymore, and I do think way to many are high fenced.

I like to know where the band sets up in the tree or is that an orchestra! Anyway's they could do without the Da-Da-Da-dit-dit-da music while the deer approaches so you can hear them walking towards you. And it's funny how they try to sneak up on a deer while they are crouched close to the ground while the camera man has front view and somewhat overhead!

All the complaining aside, I would watch these video's over watching anything else on tv as I like to watch hunting video's prior to the hunting season and during the season, fenced in or not! Ted Nugent is entertaining no matter what he does!

I do like the Drury video's as sometime they show Jim Thome hunting and he is a pretty cool dude ifinz you ask me! cool

Benny Spies makes the show funny and entertaining. He isnt all about killing 200" deer or shooting his limits of birds. Most hunters can relate, because he doesnt always shoot something. I think he would be a great guy to go hunting with. Easily the best show out there right now.

The two I have my DNR set for are Jim Shockey and Uncle Ted. The first for the reason Farley mentions plus Jim gets just excited shooting a big bear with his camera as he does with a gun. Uncle Ted is entertaining and he's doing what he likes to do, whether or not people think its hunting or ethical or what. I bet more than a few would high fence a good piece of property and stock it with all sorts of exotics if they had the $$$. More power to him so long as its legal. I view him as a hunter too even if he "shoots" animals on hundreds or thousands of acres inside a high fence. He's not shooting them in a few acre pens like the country star. Plus I like Uncle Ted's cooking segments with wild game and other human interest stories.

I also watch the other shows on Outdoor Channel occassionally even if all they do is kill big freak bucks they worked hard to hunt on farms they spent a lot of time and resources on. Most of us can't do that. They can. It's their job. So be it. It's still fun to watch. Like those guys that write into Field and Stream griping about all the fancy gear they review because the average guy can't afford. I'd rather read about really cool gear even if I can't always afford it - i.e. the $5,000 shotgun versus my 870, which I know all about. More fun and sells more magazines for them.

Good luck in the "real world" out there this season guys!

so how many do you suppose are on high fence and don't say so. Nothing against high fence but they should say so in the show.

Nothing against high fence!? That is not hunting and certainly not what hunting is about...any fenced-in "killings" shouldn't be allowed on tv. I honestly can't stomach a lot of the shows anymore.

As I mentioned I have no problem with it till a show tries to make it seam like a hunt when it's shooting fish in a barrel. My eyes were opened recently. So now I'm sceptical unless they say fair chase. I'll have to google the shows to see what I will still watch. lol I agree F&F that it is not hunting, that's why they should not be hunting shows.

I do have to admit, I have hunted in a fence in area. I won a hog hunt in Oklahoma so I went for it try anything once. There were lots of animals and lots of gritters but wow I think they were smarter than the wild critters and tuff to get a shot off at. I will have to say hunting it is not shooting fish in a barrel not so much but shooting fish in an olympic size pool yes.

I like the Muzzy show, Fred Eichler is the bomb...he seems like just a normal guy and doesn't care if it is a trophy (they are all trophys in his mind he says) Fear no Evil....Can not stand that guy Chris Brackett. He is like a drama queen...lol