• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Using "GULP" for walleye

I just bought GULP in the 2" chartruese curly tail minnow form. I never used this product before and was wondering if anyone has had sucess getting walleyes using these. Should I tip with livebait?

------------------
<><<><
Calvinist
><>><>

I have just started to use gulp, mimic minows, and wild eye stuff from Storm. When they hit it, they slam it. But last weekend on Boulder north of Duluth the fish were as negative as I have ever seen. Finally, I began to get a late afternoon bite on small eyes 10-14". Once the pattern was discovered on minnows, I switched over to the plastics. The bite just seemed to STOP! Then back to a minnow, and I could finnesse a fish or two. Then back to a gulp, all I got were tail nibbles. Then back to a jig and minnow, and I'd get a few more. Finally got so I just gave up until the fish are a little more active. My thoughts: from neutral to aggressive the plastics are good. Negative, not so good.

Not just Gulp, but the power bait config's too. Chris, snap jig 4" power jerk shads on Winni... wink.gif Right now, even the unsented stuff is working on weedy central MN lakes. For example, Mr Hoggards super doos on an 1/8 oz mushroom jig head.

And if the small stuff (4" plastics) isn't working...super size it like Randy did yesterday. He used a 1/2 oz jig on a 6" shad for this 27" fish.
RandyH_eye.jpg

Nav

------------------
Jon Navratil
Navigator Guide Service
www.naviguides.com
Central MN rivers & lakes

the gulp is great. The other night I put a gulp crawler against a real one and actually did about the same if not better on the gulp. The best part is no mess with the plastic. These babies do stink though, but then again so do I grin.gif
mw

i've had great luck with powerbait and Gulp crawlers. Not long ago I went to the berkley HSOforum and they had an offer to get a free sample of Gulp product. Arrived in the mail in about 2 weeks but you if don't want to start catching fish and then run out of the sample you should just spend the $6 and buy a pack. Trust me, you've made bigger and worse fishing investments.

Fished Tonka early Sat. morning, targeting walleyes, and caught some nice crappies on the GULP 2" minnow grub in chartreuse. I think I will have to go with a bigger minnow grub anf a bit heavier jig to catch walleyes. It was hard to find in chartreuse, so I bought pink, whick works o.k. on Tonka, so I hear. Will try it again tonight.

------------------
<><<><
Calvinist
><>><>

A few of us just got back from Lac Suel and we were into some eye's and I decided to put on a leech Gulp. I caught 9 walleyes on one gulp leech! It worked the same if not better than live leeches. Then again, I think they'll hit on most anything up there.

Gulp crawlers on spinner rigs work great. Especially if you have a lot of perch where your fishing. Always have some and Power Leeches when I go to Canada.
The power shiners are awesome jigging in current or slip jigging!

Just got back from Lac Seul, and we gave it a shot. After 11 casts in a row with a minnow and catching a walleye on all 11 we gave the gulp a shot. It took six casts to trick one small walleye. We proceded back to minnows and other live bait. Out produces live bait? Yeah maybe on the Moon. Good marketing though lots of suckers like me bought some.

Was on the Canadian side of LOW two weeks ago. The 'eyes hit minnows, crawlers and leeches very well on bottom bouncers. I tried the 3" pumpkin seed Gulp (or similar color) using the same tactics and zero hits. Also tried Power Bait with the same luck as the Gulp. Live bait was the ticket.

I used the Gulp last weekend up in Morson and they worked great. Lasted longer than live bait. I used white 4 inch minnow grub. I wish I had smaller but they worked. I even used regular twister tails up there and did just as good. But I did find out that the gulp will dry out if left out of the water too long. Just my 2 cents Brian