• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which headlamp is best for distance for fishing?

This is the brightest one i've been able to find short of going to a large D cell battery pack.

Blows most other headlamps away.

full-26433-10152-30_lumen_headlamp.jpg

30 Lumens

3AAA batteries, lasts quite a while. LED

You find a brighter one, let me know...There are times i'd like to have a darn spotlight glued to my forehead on the river.

I'm still a fan of the cheap energizer lights...

I agree on the Energizer headlamps. They arent big and bulky like most headlamps, have the adjustable pivot point for aiming the light up/down, are very bright, and offer multiple different light combinations (wide beam, narrow beam, all lights on, etc) as well as a red light (doesnt scare nightcrawlers away when you are trying to pick them?). On top of all this, they have much better battery life than any other headlamp I own/have owned in the past. I think I got mine for like $18 at Wally World too. Hard to beat it for the quality and price. It is extremely small too, which is key b/c I throw it in my fanny pack while in the BWCA and it doesn't take up much room [compared to other headlamps on the market that have a the battery pack that sits at the back of your head and takes up more room].

30 lumens is nothing smile check out the coleman max 108 lumens

I'm still a fan of the cheap energizer lights...

Dang! Got me excited now! That a bright for a small package wink.

Nevermind,

Princeton-Tec Apex models are 200 lumens. Might have to put one of those on order smile

you guys talking about lumens sound like rednecks talking about horsepower.

100+ lumens is too bright for looking around for something in the boat or tying knots. Plus all your friends will hate you because all they will see is spots.

I'll stick with my 30 lumen headlamp for what I need a headlamp for. I have a 150 lumen flashlight for when I need hippie mace and a 2.5 million candle power spotlight for running the river.

What I'm really looking for is a headlamp that has a lot of distance to it. I have a tiller and am holding that with one hand and my rod with another, so need a headlamp for safety while trolling mostly.

Plus all your friends will hate you because all they will see is spots.

I'll stick with my 30 lumen headlamp for what I need a headlamp for.

Maybe THAT'S why I have no friends? frown

Or maybe it's because I have to keep telling the morans that their puny little 30 lumen headlamp is still on and shining in my face? laugh

I like the bright headlight for pin point casting in the mn river late fall for walleyes - unless you want to be tying on jigs after each cast. WAAAY to bright if your just using it for tying knots, etc. I use my CHeepo in the ice house becasue anything more is excessive.

For distance you will probably not want an LED headlamp. The problem though with the halogen lamps is they suck through batteries really quickly and are usually bulkier.

That used to be true, but not so much any more.

I've seen small tactical LED flashlights that will blow any HID or Halogen out of the water. You could literally drive a boat down the river with this small sharpie sized light. They are amazing.

This is the headlight I've been using this year:

30171-DEFAULT-M.jpg

$20 and completely waterproof with 3 intensity settings

78 lumens of output on high 44 on medium 16 on low. 7.45 hours of runtime on high, 13 hours on medium, 23 hours on low

Most all of these examples can be found at big boxes like Wally, Fleet, and Target.

OK. Thanks for all the replies and info. I bought the energizer and and compared it to the Coast H7 I found in a prior thread that one of you pointed out to me.

I settled on the Coast H7 I found at Lowes for $38. It's a whopping 174 lumens now with a range of 184 meters. It's quite light and comfortable, as well.

It's far and away the most powerful of all of those that I tried. The youtube review for it is below.

Just an FYI. I happened to be at Lowes today and seen the Coast H7 headlamps there. I seen online they were on sale for 39.97 (reg 59.97), but noticed they had them labeled as 29.97. I couldn't pass that up and they gladly gave me that price.

This was the store in Shakopee and they had about 6 left.

Pretty good deal, can't wait to give a try tonight!

I've seen small tactical LED flashlights that will blow any HID or Halogen out of the water. You could literally drive a boat down the river with this small sharpie sized light. They are amazing.

True.

I just picked up a light that runs on 2 AA batteries (like the lights with AA batteries cause I need only carry that one size in my kit) that I could almost use as a spotlight.

Crazy.

Holy Cow, I actually used this Coast headlamp to to navigate home on the river last night. It was a short trip and I have a 100 watter up front for driving usually, but man this thing is impressively bright.