• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Favorite minnow for ice time walters

EBass

I have to give my props to the crappie minnow and shiner minnow. Tis my second year of ice fishing for walters and this is based of my experience or lack there of.

Anyone care to share?

I like crappies most of the time. If its an all day trip I'll bring fatheads and shiners as well. Last year most of my fishing was in the cities, and it takes about 1/2 hr to the nearest baitstore. With school and work, I often found myself with limited time and using frozen crapps and fats, which worked surprisingly well.

I would say some nice sized fattys.

Since I trapped some nice 3" Creek Chubs in my local creek, im going to try some of them this year too.

------------------
Fish ON!

Without question, big redtail chubs (for tipups). They're spendy, but I'm convinced that they work better. My take on it is that fatheads are too small, shiners are too delicate, and suckers just aren't tasty enough. I swear the chubs are the perfect walleye tipup minnow. On a jig- I think it doesn't much matter.

Nice to see a range of minnows to ponder about bring on the next walter trip. Shouldn't be too long now. Lows in the single digits on Thurs and Friday. That will make some ice.

Southern MN lakes, shiners. I catch both eyes and slab crappies with them after dark.

I Use them on rattle reels and tip ups only. Jigging I use fatheads.

Shiners are a lot easier to take care of in winter than any summer months. I usually take an 18 qt cooler and can easily keep 2 dozen shiners and a couple of scoops of some fatheads alive for a week or two in winter..... One may die overnight, but I just cut those up and use them for chum. just don't let the water freeze too much, and don't let the water heat up. take a couple glasses of fresh lake water every day you are out and replace some of the cooler water.

Many times at the end of fishing, I will even take the shiner that was on the tip ups, un-hook them and put them back in the cooler. The next day they are usually still alive. However, I hook them with a small kahle hook and hook them on the side of the dorsal instead of going through side to side behind the dorsal.

[This message has been edited by korn_fish (edited 12-11-2003).]