• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Buck pictures on your game cameras yet????

Meat-Run

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been running my cams for a couple of weeks now, just haven't checked them yet. The older bucks will be showing plenty of velvet by now, most likely out past their ears and tines starting to shoot up.

full-35274-9809-harveys160.jpg

this guy last year was a 140's 14 pointer, 6x6 typ mainframe with split g2's. I had high hopes for him this year but it dosen't look like he's getting any bigger, still a 16" spread, 3" brows and average mass. I only seen him once last year the last 10 minutes of rifle season, other than that i only have pictures of him in the dark.

Ive gotten pictures of 11 different bucks in my section in the last 2 weeks at the mineral sites. A few have decent growth. I pulled a cam yesterday and have a nice split brow tine buck that I watched all last season. Hes been the only one ive recognized from last year but im sure others will ring a bell once they grow a little more.

Its interesting.... this nicer split brow-tine buck is a little behind some of the other better bucks. He was, by about a month, the last to shed. I wonder if his late shedding date has resulted in a bit of a delay in growth? I guess I always figured by mid-may they were all on an even growth pattern but maybe thats not the case? At the end of summer, I think it all ends up the same but it seemed like something worth pointing out.

What do you guys think? A) First to shed means earliest to start growing? or B) The antlers are basically dormant over winter and photoperiodism allows all the bucks start growth at the same time?

I guess Ive always thought "B".

I think these deer kind of dance to their own genetic tune. Some drop them early and late and growth is probably similar. I have pics of bucks that have a lot of velvet by early July and don't grow much after that. Other bucks were adding inches into August.

We have been getting photos of bucks but it seems like they are a little behind on antler growth this year. We have talked about the late spring and the bucks not able to put as much into antler growth. Just a thought.

We have been getting photos of bucks but it seems like they are a little behind on antler growth this year. We have talked about the late spring and the bucks not able to put as much into antler growth. Just a thought.

This is a very real possibility. In the past I have noticed a summer with normal temps and a lot of rain = more antler growth. If we don't get the rain the deer can be stunted a little. The same could be true for the cool start to the summer, less plant growth means less food so everything could be behind a little. No facts to back this up, just guesswork and past observations.

Here is an interesting buck I got a pic of last year. This was the only picture we got of this deer. I am anxious to get the cameras out. Just curious... Do you think rack is the product of genetics or the deer was injured?

001.jpg

Bull

It looks like it might be genetics, both antlers look a little goofy. Some of the times with injuries they only affect one antler. It would be cool to see what he looks like this year.