• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Memorial Day

JohnMickish

Before we all head out for the long weekend I just want to ask people to take a minute and look up what Memorial day is for and just spend a minute thinking out it this weekend. Maybe even talk about it with our kids so they know that this is not just a start of summer day off, but it has a much deeper meaning to it.

Thanks.

i always tell my mom, mothers day is everyday. i feel the same way about honoring veterans. they are always in my thoughts and prayres. thank them for their service when you see a man or woman in uniform. good luck.

It is pretty easy to get caught up in the vacation/long weekend/lets have some fun aspect but it is pretty sobering when you remember who gave up part of or all their life so we can enjoy doing the the things we love to do in this great country.

Thank you to all who are serving, have served and those who gave everything for us.

We will not forget what you have done for us.

Thanks for the wakeup call.

We all, sure take a lot for granted. This is time to Honor the memories of men and women you've known that served, those who didn't come home - and to say a prayer for those still in harms way.

Memorial Day should reset the bearing point, each year. It's too easy to forget conflicts are ongoing - doesn't need to be the only time to remember those who serve.

Here's my elevator -

We've all seen or participated in a forum thread that's goes wild - you know, the emotional stuff - fishing holy wars - catch and release - navigable water - DNR stocking methodologies - exciting passionate discussion.

When I catch myself latched into one of those bottomless ratholes - I launch this site -

Its not over

- Helps me re-focus, clear the fog and stay grounded through out the year.

I bookmarked it - watching and hoping those bottom numbers stop climbing.

My favorite quote for Memorial Day:

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." - John Stuart Mill

Thank you to those who have served (and are serving) for keeping the rest of us free.

Respect. Reflect. Remember.

Thank you to those who serve and those who have served. I cannot thank you enough for your sacrifice for our freedom and well being. Thanks!

I don't recall who originally said it (I believe it was Lincoln) but I always think of the quote "All gave some, Some gave all." on Memorial day but a part of the Gettysburg Address sums up what the day really means to me. (This one I know was Lincoln :-) )

"It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."

I am very proud to say that my family has served the United States since they were the Kings colonies. I spent part of today at various cemeteries paying my respects to friends and family who have served honorably, some who gave that last full measure of devotion. It is sad but also comforting to know I am part of a long tradition of service to our country.

Today I thank all who have served to provide me with the freedoms I cherish.