• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

PSN outage?

smnduck

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What the ..Dam... Hacked again.

Sony PlayStation Network gets hacked again

Posted: May 18, 2011 11:27 AM CDT

Updated: May 18, 2011 11:27 AM CDT

(MSNBC) Just days after relaunching its PlayStation Network, Sony's online gaming network has been breached again, this time on its Web page being used for customers to re-set their passwords, something that needs to be done for all 100 million user accounts worldwide.

"The exploit allows people to change users' password via the PSN password reset page using only a PSN account email and date of birth — both of which were obtained by hackers in the original breach," reported MCV, a British-based site that covers the games business.

The problem was first reported by games news site Nylevia.com.

"While we will not reveal specific details regarding how the exploit is performed for obvious reasons, we can say that the exploit involves a vulnerability in the password reset form currently implemented, not properly verifying tokens," the site reported. Another games HSOforum, Eurogamer, also confirmed the problem.

In an earlier report on Tuesday, Nylevia said:

I would suggest that you secure your accounts now by creating a completely new email that you will not use ANYWHERE ELSE, and switching your PSN account to use this new email. You risk having your account stolen, when this hack becomes more public, if you do not make sure that your PSN account's email is one that cannot be affiliated with or otherwise traced to you.

While we originally assumed this was a poor hoax designed only to stir the community into another frenzy, the individual who we are in contact with requested just two pieces of information from us: this being an account email and the date of birth used for that account. We promptly created a new account via us.playstation.com and provided the individual with the email address and date of birth used.

Roughly a minute later they requested that we try to login with the password we used for the account (which they did not know at any point), and sure enough, we were presented with an invalid username and/or password prompt.

Sony, in a statement, said, "Unfortunately this also means that those who are still trying to change their password via Playstation.com or Qriocity.com will be unable to do so for the time being.

"This is due to essential maintenance and at present it is unclear how long this will take. In the meantime you will still be able to sign into PSN via your PlayStation 3 and PSP devices to connect to game services and view Trophy/Friends information."

On its blog, Sony says: "Some services on PlayStation.com may be unavailable due to phased restoration of PlayStation Network. We apologize for the inconvenience and hope to restore all services shortly."

advertisement

Last weekend, Sony began restoring PSN service, nearly a month after a massive security breach forced the company to shut down the network. On Tuesday, two members of Congress sent a letter to Sony, urging the company to respond to questions by May 25 about its security strategy and the data breach.

Now, it looks like there will be even more explaining to do.

The only thing this affected was PSN login and password changing via a PC. It didn't affect the PS3 from what I can tell. Everything still working for me.

Me too. No problems.

Quote:
"General Motors"?

The problems with the car companies were the unions, and the retirement packages. They needed to eitheer negotiate, or file for bankruptcy in order to continue into the future. The unions didnt want to settle, so GM had to file, to run leaner.

The problems with the car companies were the unions, and the retirement packages. They needed to eitheer negotiate, or file for bankruptcy in order to continue into the future. The unions didnt want to settle, so GM had to file, to run leaner.

I understand why, mine was just a shot at Sony being "too big" of a company to fail. Same thing used to be said about the car manufacturers.

Sony is a well established company, and they have a lot of revenue. Unless there are lawsuits, I dont foresee any bankruptcy filings.

The problem is that Sony has lost it's reputation in just about all markets. Fewer and fewer people are buying Sony's overpriced, low quality electronics. Gaming is probably Sony's biggest source of revenue at the moment. At last check Sony Music/Sony Pictures/Sony Ericson/and most consumer electronic profits were all down.

To say you can't fall out of a market you once dominated is pretty blind. If the Droid had not been successful, Motorola would have discontinued it's mobile division (and remember, at one point in time practically everyone had a Razr). If it weren't for the Nintendo DS Nintendo would likely be out of the consoles market.

Pretty bizarre. Was on the phone with pakistan for over an hour last night. Other than attempting to sync the the contoller 46 times, all they could come up with was to send it in. I am no longer on their christmas card list. Packed it up this morning and took it back to gamestop. Kid hooks it up and it works fine. Made them extend money back policy a week and brought it home. Working so far.

Pretty bizarre. Was on the phone with pakistan for over an hour last night. Other than attempting to sync the the contoller 46 times, all they could come up with was to send it in. I am no longer on their christmas card list. Packed it up this morning and took it back to gamestop. Kid hooks it up and it works fine. Made them extend money back policy a week and brought it home. Working so far.

Maybe the guy that knew how to fix it was killed when they raided Bin Laden's house?

Call me next time, I will come check it out. I do not live to far from you.

FYI (from G4) :

Good news, gaming world: According to Sony, The PlayStation Network will be fully restored today in America an Europe, ending our long international nightmare! Qriocity, the music service, is back up too. According to Sony:

Details of "Welcome Back" package program offered to all registered PlayStation Network* and Qriocity account services will be announced from each region.

The PlayStation Store should be up and working for most of you right now, for the first time in many weeks, so go check it out. There's a ton of cool stuff to download and check out, like a Wizardry demo, Lego Pirates of the Carribean demo, a bunch of of Rock Band tracks, old school games like Bonk's Adventure and just a metric [PoorWordUsage]-ton of awesome. Check it out on the PlayStation's Blog.

Read more: http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/71.../#ixzz1O8yV42AH