• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1st time Gun dog owner and trainer and it seems to be going well..

Kylersk

I've got an almost 4 month old GWP. I've read quite a bit, watched quite a bit and listened quite a bit.

So far, everything has been just fun and short training and it appears he's learning quick. He even was pointing at the cats and a pheasant wing attached to fishing pole right away.

The come command works well when he's not too distracted, but I know we have some work to do.

I decided to hold off on the sit command for a while (seems there's some disagreement on this).

I'm still not 100% sure when I should start the more serious training though. Like force fetch.

Anyways, back to the fun training. I found out if my Boxer is around he has little interest in retrieving. More interested in the boxer. If it's just him (Jager) and I, he loves to retrieve.

The other day, I played a little fetch with him and the bumper and he had a blast. Then I decided to put a bunch of pheasant scent on the bumper and have the kids drag and hide the bumper in the back yard. Jager found it everytime! I was impressed!

Tonight I decided to put his e-collar on (but not powered up) and play fetch. After a couple throws I attached a pheasant wing to the bumper and threw it. Jager was super excited and tore after it. Once he got to the bumper he laid down and started chewing on the end of the wing. I was a bit discouraged by this and after having to get the bumper 3 times or so I almost quit. Then I decided to throw it really close and he retrieved it! So then I threw it further and further and he retrieved it every time!

So, I ended it with him jumping up and trying to get the bumper/wing.

This should be fun for both him and I!

I was in the same exact position about a yr ago. I have a soon to be 2 yr old GSP. His first fall which would have been 09 I didnt bring him into the field at all. BUT, I worked on the obediance part of it. He did awesome! Then last spring I started taking him out behind the house and we just walked....He had what he was supposed to do by the time we walked home the first day! He out hunted an experianced lab his first time out. I couldnt have asked for a better dog! The one thing I try to remember is to let their natural instinct work for them. I just make sure that he still obeys my commands while hunting! Good Luck sounds like you have a great dog!

Jäger (singular der Jäger, plural die Jäger; as in Yeager) is the German word for "hunter", and also a common German surname.

And yes, I posted a few pics here, here's one from a couple weeks ago.

837dff4a.jpg

Right now would be a good time to start training the whoa command. Which ever method you choose shouldn't matter much. Also I would put the wing on a string away for good now. Its more for the owners to see them point than it is about teaching anything to the dog. Now would also be a great time to introduce live birds. Very important time in a puppy's life is right now.

Right now would be a good time to start training the whoa command. Which ever method you choose shouldn't matter much. Also I would put the wing on a string away for good now. Its more for the owners to see them point than it is about teaching anything to the dog. Now would also be a great time to introduce live birds. Very important time in a puppy's life is right now.

I think setterguy hit it on the head the string and wing is for the camera!

Keep up on your training maybe look into a game farm so he can get on some live birds I brought my now 2.5 yr. old GSP to a game farm when he was 8or9 months old and with the little training he had on live birds at that time i think you will be amazed at the natural ability the breed has !Good luck keep us posted !

Thanks for the tips Rundrave.

I havnt used the wing and string since I brought him home.

As far as check cord, I guess I thought that was for more of the serious training and older?

I have read Gun Dog (as one of many books I've read). They all seem to have different advice on alot of the topics. Currently I'm reading the NAVHDA book and watched the Video.

I am a fairly new gun dog owner of two gsp's. One thing that really helped me for my whoa training as well as the force fetching was building a table. Being you have done a lot of research I am sure you saw that but I figured I would throw it out there. Heading out to pick up some quail for them on Saturday. It was and still is awesome watching them grow up and see your training pay off in the field. Enjoy your training as well as the new addition to the family.

Force Fetch can be done any time after their puppy teeth come out and the adult teeth are in, generally around 6-7 months.

FF is probably the toughest thing you will have to do overall in your training regiment. It can be real tough on you and your family because it can sometimes not be pretty.

I would have started the sit long ago, in fact with his very first meal you gave him as his owner. Every time you give him his food, you say sit and push his butt down. Have him hold the sit and then let him eat. Prolong the sit as time goes on so that he is sitting solid for 15, 30 45 60 seconds.

Each time you have him out he should have two things on, 1st a check cord, always, always, always and 2nd he should have his e-collar on, turned off at this age but around his neck none the less.

GOOD LUCK & Have Fun!!!

Duckbuster, from what I've read the sit command should not be taught until after the dog has learned the 'Whoa' command. I guess if the dog is taught sit before whoa it makes learning whoa more difficult? I've never heard of whoa until I started reading about GWP's and NAVHDA.

Ya, I guess I kind of spoke out of turn with that regarding pointers. I'm a Lab guy. Sorry if I confused you.

You have quite a few really good pointer guys on here so listen to them.

GOOD LUCK

P.S. do you know of any land owners in our area that would be open to having someone use their property to train?

Kylersk, I hear ya, I have a 9 month old GWP (Schultz). Smart dogs. He has been pretty easy to work with as long as he knows what I'm talking about (and I have his attention I should add), I rarley have to give a command (that he knows well) more than once. My uncle tries to get him to do things but he doesnt connect with the dog like I do so he has a harder time. But he doesnt have nearly the patience I do with him. Shultz and I have an understanding and that is "you better listen or else, you German SOB." I wish I had a recent pic, he looks a lot like yours Kylersk.

Go to fleet farm and buy 30 ft of thin braided rope and a clamp. Clamp it to his collar and let him drag it around while you train. He'll get used to it. This way if he doesn't listen you can give him a correction by snapping the rope quickly when giving a command. Later you will lay the ecollar over it each time you snap the rope, this will give you a tool to correct the dog right now and make ecollar transition smooth. And put that ecollar on the dog each time you train, helps from getting collar-wise.

Different opinions on sit vs. whoa and when. If you want him to be a duck dog and need him to sit in the blind, go ahead with it. Trade off is when you put pressure on him during pointing drills later on, he may sit on birds since that's how he learned to turn the pressure off.

Take your time with force fetch. Be sure you know exactly what your intentions are and how the process is done before you start. Starting and quitting half way through is worse than not starting at all. Build the bond first, hunt him a season and build his confidence without too much pressure.

Dogs can take a lot more pressure than we think. It is how that pressure is applied that matters. When conditioning you start with a very low stim and you gradually move up to the point where the dog corrects his behavior in a positive manner. The collar should be on your dog ever time you train or you hunt.

I just brought home our gsp pup last saturday, and she seems to have the here command down quite well. I have a george hickock video, but she isnt old enough for most of that. She is just 9 weeks right now. I do the playful training, mostly just here for now. I am a bit discouraged that she doesnt do very well with retrieving, not really interested yet. She pointed the wing on a string the day I brought her home. I hide pheasant wings in the back yard and she tracks them all down. She is getting socialized with other dogs and lots of ppl, my wife brings her to her office everyday. What are some other commands or training that I should be doing at such a young age? I am bringing her back to the kennel that I bought her at when she is 6 months old for a month of gun intro, live birds, and whoa training, as well as intro to the ecollor. Should I be doing any of that before 6 months? Any guidance is appreciated, I want to do this right as well. Also, any ideas on getting her more interested in retrieving?

Bopper, Yep.. building a trainging table is on my list of things to do soon.

Just use the tailgate of a truck. or you can do it on the ground too, its just as easy.

are you planning on doing the ear pinch method, or toe-hitch?