• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Increasing KE

mrklean

Choose the heaviest arrow and field tip (broadhead) combination that will perform with your set-up...while shorter and lighter arrows give you a flatter trajectory, you sacrifice KE, reducing your penetrating ability...

What is the reason for trying to increase her KE? I assume it's for hunting, but just wanted to check because my response my vary a bit, depending on the answer you give to that question.

Very importantly- get her set up with the CORRECT drawlength! KE isn't very meaningful if you sacrifice fundamental set up stuff like correct drawlength. The amount you'll gain in KE by adding an inch to her drawlength will be minimal to what she'll lose by not being set up correctly.

Two ways to increase KE: 1) increase speed while keeping the same or similar weight arrow, or 2) increase arrow weight without sacrificing too much speed.

It's a complicated answer in some ways, but the final answer is this: have her shoot a heavier arrow. Unless she's already shooting a really, really heavy arrow, adding weight to her current set up will increase her KE.

If you want to get into the nuts and bolts of it, let us know what her arrow weighs and how fast she's shooting those arrows. Also, be aware that KE isn't the end-all-be-all and other things, particularly broadhead choice, are important determinants of how well she's set up to hunt.

yea i was more worried about the KE for hunting, i would really prefer her shooting at 27" watching her shoot the other day she has room to move back but she lacks the strength right now to make that move, we tried moving it to 27" but it was almost impossible for her to draw it.

i have to check the manual again i was thinking of changing it to 27" and dropping the weight but i was very close to min draw weight and didn't want to go under it. Im trying to get her to just shoot 40 arrows a week to get some type of muscle memory and build up some strength so we can make the permenant change to 27" where i think she really should be at, and the guy at the bow shop thought the same thing.

Cool- if 27 is correct in the first place, then that's obviously where she should be. I think you're on the right track having her shoot as much as possible. She'll build those muscles in a hurry if you can get her to shoot more than once per week. I'm amazed at how frequently I can bump up my son's poundage on his bow after he shoots a few times...

Any idea how many grains her arrows are and how fast she's shooting?

arrows will probably be around 375, I want her to shoot some type of 125 grain fixed blade haven't decided that yet, arrow speed not sure on that yet, she finally shot on Saturday for the first time and i could tell were gonna be at the range a lot this summer, hopefully it doesn't cut into our fishing time

Just make it fun and you wont end up with a 400 dollar paper weight! I know for me when I started shooting i had a big learning curve then once I got my form down I was able to increase the poundage every week. 27" Draw is even longer then mine and I'm a guy! I have a 26" draw with 24" arrows but I have 400 grain arrows. I spend a lot of hunting in a ground blind and didn't want to get over crazy with length of arrows. Nothing wrong with going to the range and practicing think there are lot less in put costs! NO BAIT, NO BOAT GAS, NO TAXIDERMY BILL!!!!

arrows will probably be around 375...

Do you mean her current arrows are 375 or do you mean you plan for the arrows she's going to shoot to be 375?

If her current arrows are 375, the answer to more KE is very easy-- add about 75 grains to her setup. Obviously, this'll slow her arrow down considerably, but she'll pack a good bit more KE and it'll be a much better hunting setup. Also, consider that most of her shot opportunities will happen inside of 20 yards, so the increased drop of the slower, heavier arrows won't matter much. Don't be scared by the slower arrow- it'll pack much more punch than the lighter arrows and zip through a deer if you put it in the right place.

If your set on her final arrows being 375, there's really nothing we can do to help you, other than to suggest you start her on steroids and get her pumping some iron.

BTW, I like your choice of broadheads for her. If she's particularly low on KE you might consider just going with a two blade head, like a Magnus Stinger. I prefer a three blade heead over a two blade, but a two blade is an excellent option for many females and youth because of the low KE rigs they shoot. Keep 'em razor sharp and they'll blow through a deer with no sweat.

right now her arrow weight is about 375 with 125 grain broadheads, after she shoots for awhile and is comfortable with her setup ill crono her bow and see what everything is shooting at im sure that will either ease my mind or make me more worried haha

It's nice to know that you are getting enough energy out of her setup but I would stop worrying about KE energy and focus more on propper shot placement and form. Get everything as close to basic mechanics as possiable so when that mossy horn booner walks out it is nothing but draw anchor proper sight picture and release.

Many many deer, elk and bison were killed with bows and arrows that didn't have as much KE as her setup will have.

I think she will be fine. Get her comfortable shooting the setup she has and don't worry too much about all the math. Its good stuff to think about, but not worth sweating over.

I totally agree with Archerysniper- form and shot placement are key. It's also hard to argue with the fact that many critters have been shot with less KE than she'll have.

That being said, I think it's great you're asking about this and you're thinking about it. Having more KE and heavier arrows will help make up for less than perfect shots. Even if she's a wonderful shot, not all shots on critters end up perfect and shooting more KE (i.e., a heavier arrow) with a good head will help her considerably.

do a google search for kenetic energy calculator. then use the archery one. you might be surprised by adding weight may not gain KE but actually cost you if it slows down the arrow too much. it's easy to use. I also agree, get her to shoot where she's aiming and you can usually kill anything (proper shot placement).

It's a fine line more weight doesn't always mean more or much more KE once you get to a certain point you loose enough speed you loose or not gain much or enough ke to compensate for loss me speed. And if her draw length increased you would gain speed the longer the arrow is on the string the faster it travels and with that you would gain ke but you don't want it longer than she should shoot comfortably.. MY arrows are 330 grains and traveling 300fps with 61 lbs ke and I increased my arrow weight to 375 and lost about 18fps and only gained 2 lbs of ke not worth the trade off to me. Also the lighter arrow has a flattery trajectory and tends to be more accurate for some people AT FURTHER DISTANCE.

Personally, I shorted up my draw length a few years ago. It allowed me to collapse my left arm more and I quit hitting my arm guard. Did I lose a little bit of KE? Sure, but my shot placement got a lot better. I also think it allows for my left arm to be more relaxed and less tense.

Another thing to consider is that most people have more clothing on during hunting season. This makes it more likely for the string to hit the arm if your arm is straight out.

How many hunters have you heard say: "I hit my arm guard while I was shooting at a deer. I never hit my arm." I believe it when you are target shooting and not wearing a bunch of clothes under your arm guard.

For me, I'd rather have a good shot rather than one that passes through the wrong area.

i thought i would give you guys a bit of a update, been to the range 4 times i think, shes pulling 46 pounds right now fairly easy and getting stronger by the week, her form has been getting better as well, im switching her rest out this weekend the bodoodle rest i gave her off my old bow was having to much vane contact so im putting a NAP apache drop away rest. Were getting her arrows crested and refletched this week putting some pink wraps and pink blazers on there for her. Very suprised how fast everything has been going together, she has been doing great.