• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Swim jig Trailers

bassfshin24

What does everyone like to use for a trailer for their swim jig? I threw a lot of the outkast sunfish colored swim jig but had trouble find a trailer that matched it. Do you guys like to have a grub on the back or a paddle tail? What brands make good trailers?

Hiya -

For the Sunfish color, Kalin's makes a grub color called "Summer Craw" that's pretty good. Translucent amber with red and green flakes. I happened to have some so tried them, and they work fine.

Generally, for trailers, I use single tail grubs, Zoom swimming chunks, or double tails if I want to fish higher and slower.

Paddle tails can work really well too it seems, although I just started to mess with them a little late last season. Keitech Swing Impacts are very good from what I can tell. Bet the new swimming flukes would be too.

I use single tail grubs 90% of the time. Zoom fat alberts or 4 "power grubs. I'll use a zoom speed craw sometimes too. These were kind of the "original" vibrating craw baits and are more subtle than the newer bigger rage or chigger craw type.

I threw that bait alot last year and always had good luck with it. I had good luck using a 4inch single tail grub in green pumpkin, double tailed in backwater blue (bright blue), or a chunk trailer ranging from different shades of green and brown/oranges, usually with some kind of flake in it. My girlfriends dad also caught a lot of fish using that bait and he always used a double tailed powerbait white and chartruse grub. So i think your options are endless and depending on the day dont be afraid to try some different colors or trailer types. Just let the fish tell you what they want on that particular day.

Dirty Jigs and Lethal Weapon both make really good swim jigs.

Keep it simple

5" single tail grub

Zoom speed craw

baby paca craw

Those are the bread and butter trailers for all the river rats on pools 4-10 of the sippi. Of course when the fish really chew you could hook a wet rag on the back of the jig and catch 20lbs. on it. Anyone know a place with a good selection of Kalin's 5" grubs? I was at Gobbler Mtn. in woodhood, and they had some, but not many colors. (big surprise)

I don't know if you can get super k's anymore... Gregg Kizewski (sp?) made them and I heard he is no longer selling them. I used his jigs last season and was very impressed. Good colors, great hooks, trailer keepers and skirts were tied.

I bought 25 outcast swim jigs last year...I think the deal was for every three jigs you got a free 10 pack of their grubs...I don't see that deal this year but I plan on buying more of the outcast single tail grubs...I think the scent of their grubs makes a difference.

I bought 25 outcast swim jigs last year...I think the deal was for every three jigs you got a free 10 pack of their grubs...I don't see that deal this year but I plan on buying more of the outcast single tail grubs...I think the scent of their grubs makes a difference.

25!! LOL. Way to go! A true bass addict!

My main color is the Golden Shiner and Sunfish. I like to throw a 4 inch single tail grub with them. I think it creates and nice contrast. Give it a try and see if you have any results. I also use the Strike King KVD swim jig in Smokey Joe, I think it imitates a Cisco very well. Works great on the northern lakes.

25!! LOL. Way to go! A true bass addict!

I wanted to be prepared! must be the boys scout in me.

My buddies seem to think I'm crazy for having all the gear I have, but it nevers fails...I figure out the bite and then they ask if I have any more of that certain lure...made them buy me dinner two nites last year for using/losing lures and averaging 60 fish per day. I was also anticipating more bite offs than we had.

I like swim jigs

My main color is the Golden Shiner and Sunfish. I like to throw a 4 inch single tail grub with them. I think it creates and nice contrast. Give it a try and see if you have any results. I also use the Strike King KVD swim jig in Smokey Joe, I think it imitates a Cisco very well. Works great on the northern lakes.

Funny thing... I like the Sunfish color, but I can't catch diddly-[PoorWordUsage] on the Golden Shiner, which just looks like it should be a fantastic color to me. Might be water color or something (water I fish is very clear) but the only things I can get to hit that color are pike and rock bass. Fish are weird...

Funny thing... I like the Sunfish color, but I can't catch diddly-[PoorWordUsage] on the Golden Shiner, which just looks like it should be a fantastic color to me. Might be water color or something (water I fish is very clear) but the only things I can get to hit that color are pike and rock bass. Fish are weird...

i just got some of gary kleins twin tail grubs the duece nice bait there alittel longer then your regulor twin tail. theres goin to be some bass brought in with these. color i like pumpkin somethin football jigs swim jigs what ever.