• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Your Top Ten Westerns?

Duffman

I'm suprised no one has mentioned Treasure of the Sierra Madre. Loved it when the bandit say's to Humphrey Bogart:

"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges! I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!"

Treasuremadre.jpg

1. The Searchers

2. Tombstone

3. Unforgiven

4. Dances With Wolves

5. The Outlaw Josey Wales

6. 3:10 to Yuma (Crowe)

7. The Magnificent Seven

8. Rio Bravo

9. Once Upon a Time in the West

10. Last of the Dogmen

I could watch each of my top 10 at least 20 times. Well, who am I kidding, I already have! gringrin

And I could name another 10 (most have already been mentioned) that could easily have made it into the top lineup on any given day, depending on my mood. True Grit, Shane, Jeremiah Johnson, Little Big Man, a bunch of others. Lonesome Dove easily wins as best TV miniseries. There just are too many fine westerns, too little time. smile

I do wish that more of Louis L'Amour's novels (my all-time fave western writer) would be redone in modern cinematic release. I think they had a great trio of Sacketts playing Tyrel, Orrin and Tell on The Daybreakers, but those kind of stories beg for more substantial treatment than the typical TV shlockfest. I'd love to get cut loose to cast The Sackett Brand with today's bunch of actors. Man, what a trip that would be. smile

Does anyone remember the Villan. With Arnold and Kirk Douglas. Kinda like a roadrunner cartoon.

(Too funny! And in a thread I started.)

Yes, and the only reason I do remember it is because my Dad had a bit part in it. He was one of the salesman that rode in on the train with Ann Margret.

My family was in the "Biz" growing up, and one of our family friends was William O'Connell. Who's William O'Connell? I think youse guys will recognize him from High Plains Drifter and The Outlaw Josey Wales.

26727-8523.gif

26727-14413.jpg

Clint Eastwoods crew was pretty tight in the 70's, that's why you can recognize the same set of actors in a few different Clint films. To this day I still give my old man some grief about not getting in with that crew. smile

But I guess he can say he was in the film that Arnold Schwarzenegger, Kirk Douglas and Ann Margret starred in. wink

Back to the Future 3?? grin

Back-To-The-Future-3-9.jpg

But seriously though very cool thread. There are a few here that I have to check out. Can't wait for the new True Grit on Blue Ray next month. Ever since I saw it I've wanted to see it again.

I don't remember seeing Stagecoach on any of the lists. A true classic IMO.

I have seen and enjoyed almost all of the more famous westerns previously mentioned, but I recently bought The Sackett's (the Louie L'amour book with Tom Selleck and the Dodge Ram spokesman--Sam Elliot. Great movie and great author - highly recommend it) Steve Foss mentioned another one of the "sackett" series of movies, which is good because I was wondering if there were any more in the series that were made into films. I read about 30 L'Amour books as a kid, great stuff..

...and one of my all-time favorite movies, although its not a western: A River Runs Through It. Hey i know it doesn't have shootouts and horse-riding and all that, but it was filmed in Montana and has some great fishing scenes!!

I also can't wait until True Grit comes out to DVD. I wish more westerns were made today