• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Snowshoeing back to life

Discussion came up this morning about going out and doing things or staying in and doing things when it gets cold outside. Years ago it didn’t matter to me if it was -30 or not, I’d go fishing, skiing, snowmobiling or whatever. Lately, at an advanced age, and retired, I’ve taken to not going into the extreme elements and waiting for a more pleasant day. Unfortunately, I’m afraid I’ve passed up many opportunities and lost a bit of what it means to live in Northern Minnesota. With that in mind, I strapped on the snowshoes today when it was -12 and put on about 3 miles. I’m better for it.

SS1-1.gif

The first thing I noticed was a sting on my face and a burn in my lungs that I haven’t felt for a long time. Discomfort soon dissipated with activity and a comfort zone allowed me to see the world around me. Evidence of summer past showed itself with vestiges of dead leaves hanging onto frozen branches and snow covered domiciles of residents long gone south.

SS4-1.gif

SS3-1.gif

Although I didn’t see any wildlife today, the tracks of their existence were everywhere. Nibbled popple bark and snipped off popple buds compete with droppings in a world that tends to allow fewer forest dwellers but shows abundant proof as to their existence.

Though warmth did not present itself as being generated from the surrounding forest, I did find a bit of warm color in the underside of a bit of birch bark.

SS5-1.gif

Soon a burn of another genre made its presence known to me in the quads of my upper legs and the calves of my lower legs. Though a bit uncomfortable, not in the least unpleasant.

Time went quickly. Soon I was home and in front of the fire place acclimating back to an inside world. I looked out at my snowshoes and silently whispered “thank you”. Tomorrow we’ll make a date to do it again.

SS6-1.gif

SS7-1.gif

You're a tough old geezer. winkgrin I'm not attaching my 'shoes again unless the temps are above zero with the sun shining and less than a 10 mph wind. You do have more incentive than I do. Prairieland isn't inviting enough to withstand even a little discomfort. smile

I used wood and leather shoes for 30 years and loved them, except that the upkeep was constant. Clean, repair and shellac. Worked well, but finally got tired of that. Picked these up and I'm very happy with them. Had them for about the last 3 years and have used them a lot. They are GV Snow Trails, which really doesn't tell you much. They are 10x30 which provide a lot of loft. If you shoe back country they're great. If you spend most of your time on established trails you wouldn't need shoes quite as big. When you look, make sure you have bindings that work for you. Mine look complicated but aren't. Good luck!

Actually, I just googled GV snow trails and they came up right away.

Great photostory! I took a day off from the cold and hibernated today but with the warmer temps tommorow I am inspired to go for my own snowshoeing trip.

I would reccommend anyone going with the new style to get bindings like the ones in the picture. Some of the modern types have nylon straps that have a tendancy to slip. I had them on my Tubbs and it is not fun when your snowshoes come off in waist deep snow.

Nice photos and story Ken! I was out at 8:00am shooting a US Pond Hockey game. I wish I would have been moving like you instead of planted in one spot! Of course I am now in Florida, nothing like extremes!

The more you use them, the more upkeep there will be. Frequent use will require you to spray on several new layers of spar varnish before snow season, as the varnish wears off the bottoms and they'll get wet. Then the rawhide stretches. That's bad.

The rawhide also can crack or break in places, especially in brushy/woody conditions. The happens most often on the fine webbing in the toes and heels. So when that happens, keeping a supply of the thin or thicker rawhide around makes it a pretty quick repair. The ash frames can break, but in my experience you've got to really work hard to break them, or get in some really ticklish situations.

If you use your shoes daily or several days per week, expect to have to revarnish them mid-winter.

I've been on ash/rawhide shoes since I was a lad. On the one hand, I like being old school, and doing the annual rehab/revarnish is a reward for me. On the other hand, I've used the styles of shoes in Ken's pic, and if I were to buy new today, I'd buy the aluminum/neoprene.

I've never seen the newer designs in a bearpaw. When I went 280 plus gear there was no snowshoe big enough to float me, new or old style. Now that I'm a lot lower in weight (220 plus gear), my Michigan style float me well. There's no shoe that'll float as well in deep powder as it does in more moderate snow, and even with great flotation it's not uncommon to sink down 10-12 inches per step in deeper snow.

BTW, I doubled up the rawhide lacing on my Michigans, and that adds flotation.

Sorry this went off topic, Ken. If I can free up a day from my wacky schedule in the next month, it'd be great to get out with you. smile

Good answer, Steve. If I was lucky I'd only have to apply the varnish once a year. Many years twice, however. The frames held up well over almost 30 years but I managed to break both of mine near the end when I'd step into deep snow and end up "bridging" on a log hidden by the fluffy stuff. Don't know if the shoes had weakened by that time or I'd put on too many extra pounds! grin

Quote:
I have yet to find the new design styles in a Bear paw to hold up us guys with Um, more muscle tone! grin

Even in my youth and much lighter in weight, I couldn't use bear paws. Bought my first pair of shoes from Glen's Army/Navy in 1969 in Grand Rapids and paid $3 for a some surplus bear paws. I burned more calories with 'em on than without 'em. They had a bad habit of not providing any loft to begin with, then coming off ground level when I'd hit the deepest snow.

Steve, I have a couple of short obligations coming up, but a lot more free time as the shop is getting closer to being done. Let's do it!

Thanks for the info. I've maybe used mine less than 10 times since I've had them, but I did buy them used so I'll make sure I varnish them before I put them away for the season. I've got some new boots coming today to be specifically used for the snowshoes. My Rocky boots don't have enough insulation and aren't roomy enough for extra socks and my Irish Setter pac boots, although nice and warm, are too bulky for the bindings. It's going to be a warm week, so I do need to get some exercise. whistle