• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Arctic Armor Suit

Rating 3

I purchased an Arctic Armor suit last season and find that it is not near as warm as promoted by the manufacturer. Talked to the Arctic Armor booth at the ice fishing show last year and was told I wouldn't need to wear any layers underneath. I found that hard to believe, and was right. Even when wearing layers on cold days, I have to tough it out. Now I am finding that the different stitching points on the bibs are coming apart. Decent quality, but not top quality. It does have its applications, late fall/early spring boat trips and hockeye games. It does not live up to its name Arctic Armor.

Funny you say that. I have had my AA on in 50 below temps on rainy lake last season. I had my usual layers on. 1 base layer of wicking top and no bottoms just jeans, a wool belnd long sleeve shirt, a hooded sweatshirt, my flannel shirt and then my AA gear. I figure if its too cold for that I shouldnt be out. That 50 below was CRAZY and my hands were the only thing that got cold snowmobiling all day many miles to fish.

Every person is different though and some can wear very little and then folks like me have to layer up good.

If you have issues with being cold like that I suggest the Sno Suit but its PRICEY and heavy but very very warm.

I use my AA in the spring, fall and winter. I like mine so much Im now getting a new pair of bibs in 4XL because when I got mine they only had 3XL.

Good luck and I hope you can find something to keep you warm.

Northlander - You must be one of the most cold tolerant people out there. I am out in the cold with lots of guests over the winter, and rarely am I the one complaining about being cold. Weather does not stop me or a buch of my guests from fishing. Fishing lakers all day and moving lots, we do not use shacks. You didn't happen to fishing in a shack on Rainy those days? Each application is different. I have upgaded to the Frabil Sno Suit and it is worth every penny. Product is as warm as everyone says. I was told the same about my AA at the ice show. I hear alot of people say AA is not near as warm as they were told or hoping. It is a nice product for the fact that it floats, but I would not say a great jacket for extreme cold or people that get cold easy for sure. I like it for early spring/late fall boat trips. Glad you liked yours.

I have to make a point not to wear too many layers under my Arctic Armor suit or I sweat too much. I do have the Plus suit though, so I think it may be warmer than the regular one.

Superbee I can understand what your saying 100%. My AA Suit is not as warm as the Sno Suit. Its also about 1/3 the weight and I find it more comfortable.

Up on Rainy we drove snowmobiles to our spots, wich is when I always get cold if I do. My hands are the 1st thing that goes due to years of busting them up in sports. Anyways yes we fished out of our houses. A guy has to be crazy to sit outside at 50 below. Holes and lines froze as quick as you cut the holes unless you put a heated house over them.

If your going to sit on the ice with no shack than I would have also chosen the Sno Suit 1st.

I can honestly say I dont fish outside hole hopping a lot in extreme temps. I find it takes the fun out of things. Thats why I have my Otters and a good dependable heater.

For me the AA suit is all I thought it would be when I 1st purchased it.

If I can ever save up the $ for a Sno Suit Im going to get one for them crazy cold days on my snowmobile but until then I have found my AA to do just fine for me.

By the way I would love to come chase some big walleyes, lakers and crappies with you during late ice. Drop me a e-mail and we can discuss the best times for you.

I found my AA suit to be comfortable and lightweight. It does not keep me as warm as the Sno-Suit, or the Ice Armor Suit. The stitching is letting loose on the pockets. The fact it floats makes it the best choice for me.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Pull and tighten the waist drawstrings in the parka if you are getting cold. If not tightened the loose fit allows air to move in from the bottom. I also layer lightly. Thermal underwear, a wool shirt and a fleece sweater.

I've never had an issue with my AA suit using it properly. I've always had a problem with cold and it keeps me plenty warm. I certainly cannot keep it zipped up if I'm moving because the warmth gets to be too much. However, if I'm sitting fishing it's all snugged up. If I sit outside for 3-4 hours on 0 degree weather then yes I do get a chill.

As for the Sno Suit there is no doubt it is warmer and it is much heavier as well. I have one and have worn it. It's a nice suit.

Rating 3

I purchased an Arctic Armor suit last season and find that it is not near as warm as promoted by the manufacturer.

I bought the camo suit two years ago and found the same results. Twice while stand hunting with temps in the low teens I had to replace the AA coat with a thinsulate coat.

The second thing I found is AA does not wick moisture well. Several times after physical exercise the inside lining was wet and my shirt was quite damp.

On the plus side I did find the coat to be water repellent and handled a lite rain well.

The abundance of pocket space is nice also.

All in all I would like to see a independent lab test the winter gear to see how each of the suits stack up.

I have numerous AA suits and have been very happy with them as long as I layer with my best clothing underneath. When it gets well below zero, you will find me with my Sno Suit.

I love the AA for early spring and late fall in the boat and hunting but when ice fishing colder days, I will have my Sno Suit on.

I do remember the days on Rainy Lake Northlander is talking about and yes he did fish all day long with his AA and I never heard him say he was cold all 3 of the days. I chose that trip to use my Sno Suit.

The Sno suit is much heavier than the AA suit without a doubt but in the cooler temps, for me, I choose the Sno Suit. The first time I picked up a Sno Suit, I thought boy is this suit heavy but after putting it on, it did not seem quite as heavy.

I personally never had one issue with moisture on the inside of the suit. If I was starting to sweat, I simply unzipped the coat a few inches.

I have found a valunale use for both products and they both serve their purpose very well.

Looking for very warm hands in th ultimate cold, try the Sno Suit choppers or gloves. The choppers aqre a bit warmer than the finger gloves but they are a fantastic glove for sure and the warmest I have worn.

I have numerous AA suits and have been very happy with them as long as I layer with my best clothing underneath. When it gets well below zero, you will find me with my Sno Suit.

I love the AA for early spring and late fall in the boat and hunting but when ice fishing colder days, I will have my Sno Suit on.

I do remember the days on Rainy Lake Northlander is talking about and yes he did fish all day long with his AA and I never heard him say he was cold all 3 of the days. I chose that trip to use my Sno Suit.

The Sno suit is much heavier than the AA suit without a doubt but in the cooler temps, for me, I choose the Sno Suit. The first time I picked up a Sno Suit, I thought boy is this suit heavy but after putting it on, it did not seem quite as heavy.

I have found a valuabale use for both products and they both serve their purpose very well.

Looking for very warm hands in th ultimate cold, try the Sno Suit choppers or gloves. The choppers are a bit warmer than the finger gloves but they are a fantastic glove for sure and the warmest I have worn.

I'm glad you guys like your AA. My biggest issues are that a rep of AA told me this was the warmest suit available. I stated exactly what I expected from the suit to him and was told this was the perfect suit. At least we all agree on the fact that there are warmer ones out there. The other issue is that it is falling apart after one year. Buckles breaking, stitching coming out on the straps, and one snow gator is 1/2 ripped off. I am no harder on this suit than any others that I have had. I do know that a proper fitting suit will keep you warmer. I have cinched all the draw strings and layered like mentioned, this isn't my first rodeo in the cold. I will say I have never had the moisture issue from sweating.

I'm beginning to believe there is no one-suit-fits-all-conditions. I thought my AA Plus suit would be the one, and it almost is, but not quite.

I do a lot of standing out fishing in below zero temps for lakers. Also quite a bit of fishing inside portable shelters. I have no problem stripping off or adding layers as the situation demands.

For the past several years, I have used a great Cabelas's GoreTex bibs/parka suit in MossyOak duckblind camo (the one in my avatar). It's an extreme suit for cold-weather duck hunters, and is nicely insulated. It's big enough that I can get several layers underneath, and I have never once gotten cold out on the ice while wearing that outfit well layered.

That suit is a XXL.

After losing 50 lbs, I got the AA Plus suit in XL online last year. I wish I would have tried it on in a brick-and-mortar store first, because the jacket sleeves are so tight I can only get two light layers on underneath or I feel like that kid in A Christmas Story. It's not that the lining binds, but that there's just not enough room in the sleeves, and the jacket itself with two light layers under is not warm enough for some of the fishing I do, nor for the snowmobiling to get to some of those spots. The zipper on the jacket is difficult to make work.

Those are the only two negatives I've found. I have not had problems with stitching yet, nor have I had issues with moisture buildup inside the suit, when compared with other waterproof suits.

The bibs are top notch, warm, and plenty roomy for two layers, one of skin tight long underwear, and a mid layer of Wintergreen insulated winter pants. Then the bibs. Plenty of room all around in there, and warm!

The jacket has lots of room in the trunk for several layers, and the pocket system is the best I've ever had for fishing. If only there was as much room in the sleeves as there is in the trunk and bibs, this would be an excellent all-around winter fishing suit, because on warmer days I could wear a single light wicking layer under it and there'd be room for several top-quality layers on really cold days.

As it stands, when I'm out guiding (I tend to be very active drilling holes and such, and helping others fish instead of fishing myself) I can get away with the AA Plus suit, even on cold days, and spent a lot of time last winter wearing just the bibs with several jacket layers but not the AA jacket.

When I'm sledding into somewhere like Lac la Croix, like I'll be doing this week, in sub-zero temps, I'll use the Cabela's suit because of my ability to layer beneath it, and the AA plus suit will stay home. With more room in the sleeves, it wouldn't have to be that way.

I may end up selling the jacket, which has no wear and not a speck of dirt on it, to someone with slimmer arms. And replacing it with a solid black AA non Plus jacket, which I've been told has a more generous sleeve cut. If that works out, I really will have my one-suit-fits all deal. Room enough for solid layering on really cold days, but light enough to work great on warmer days without layers as well. And with that excellent flotation to boot. smile

I would like to at least have gotten a response, even an auto-response, to my e-mails to AA reviewing the Plus suit, but I did not.

On the real cold days, that is what I like about the Snop Suit. No need for 2 layers underneath. Yes one can bend easier with the AA suit over the Sno Suit but after one gets 2 layers on underneath the AA suit, then the Sno Suit works just as good for bending.

Harvey:

Thanks for the info and reply.

I think the problem lies in the consumer, myself included ,interpretation of the cold protection value.

I talked to the Rep. at Insultex. and was told one layer 0.21 thick protects to -13 degrees f.

Since there are three layers it is assumed you are getting a garment that is good to -39 below zero.

IMHO: I believe a little objective consumer education would be quite helpful.

I believe it also depends on how one can hhandle the colder temps. I for one can get cold very easy and others can withstand the colder temps better.

For one to say that it keeps them warm on the colder days may not mean the same to others.

At -39, it would be tough for any outdoor garment to keep one toasty warm.

I still do like the AA products and wear them outdoors many times throughout the year.

If you want to get rid of your AA suit, I will take it! Sounds like you are not to satisfied. Sounds like its right up my alley too! I can tolerate cold pretty good. Typical winter attire for me being outside is: Carhart bibs, my hunting boots, and a good sweatshirt. The ol body does the rest of the work.

I believe it also depends on how one can hhandle the colder temps. I for one can get cold very easy and others can withstand the colder temps better.

For one to say that it keeps them warm on the colder days may not mean the same to others.

At -39, it would be tough for any outdoor garment to keep one toasty warm.

I still do like the AA products and wear them outdoors many times throughout the year.

I would not expect the AA to keep me warm at -39 but according to the advertised spects of -13 or -21 you would think it would keep you warm with temps in the low teems.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

And it does a very fine job of keeping me warm at even slightly below zero temps, outside for hours of ice fishing.

Again, pull and tighten the waist drawstrings in the parka if you are getting cold. If not tightened, the loose fit allows air to move in from the bottom. I also layer lightly. Thermal underwear, a wool shirt and a fleece sweater.

Worn properly it's very effective against the cold.

Just to be clear as most know this anyway - As for the insulation value that is as stated the "insultex insulation value is only where there is insultex".

On the Parka- the face, hands and waist are open (no insultex barrier to stop heat loss from your body at those openings unless tightly sealed). That is where the heat is lost at a more rapid rate.

Keep those open areas to the minimum if you want to stay warmer longer.

All I can say is how it works for me and Arctic Armor has been my go to winter garment for years now. It keeps me warm and toasty. Even in sub-zero blizzard conditions. It does get damp if I'm active and all buttoned up for sure.

I just got an AA suit for X-mas, granted I have not had it out in -30 temps yet, but I would have to say in the 5 times I've been out its kept me extremely warm. Last night i went out and the temp was 15, I was perfectly comfortable outside and all I had underneath it was a very light pair of sweat pants and a flannel shirt, no long underwear at all. I'm really impressed with how lightweight it is for the amount of warmth it provides. My usual get up for 15 degree temps would have been more layers and my heavy carhart stuff. Hunting season will be the true test though, its a lot easier to stay warm when you can move around. My other comment would be that I'm loving the padded knees and butt, and the waterproof factor is huge! I used to come home with saoking wet knees in my carharts.

My overal review would be 9 out of 10. Only thing I dock them on is the zippers seem kind cheap.

If it was not for the flotation factor, I would not wear mine at all. I fish out of a boat during cold weather and ice fish on a lake that is truly - never safe. They are too warm and I sweat too much for one. Even when doing things like unloading the snowmobile and setting up the portable my suit is soaked inside. I always have that "clammy" feeling in it. If you sweat alot my advice would be not to get one. They don't breathe enough.