• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking for dog suggestion?

Kylersk

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want a good family dog - Lab

If you are going to hunt pheasants - Lab

If you are going to hunt grouse - Lab

If you are goint to hunt ducks - Lab

If you want to know where every deer turd in the woods is - Lab

If you want to know if you kid has put food between the couch cushion - Lab

If you want a dog that loves to hunt but is lazy as hibernating bear in the house - Lab.

If you would like to see urine on every lamp post, hydrant, random tree in town, anywhere any other dog has taken a leak - Male Lab.

Another suggestion, come on out and see the dogs in action. You can come here for a hunt or training demo any time. Look at what you want to buy. Then we will see what you prefer and go home with that fits you the best. Go watch a Britt duck hunt, watch a Springer in the water as well, check them all out, and the house dog thing, thats not too hard to figure out which breeds are more suitable for that. But go check them all out. Your looking at a 14 year or so investment. There is absolutely nothing wrong with looking at dogs with titles in there back ground. Many dogs that compete hunt more then they compete and do it better because of it. Most people involved in say trials are keeping a higher standard and doing the health screening. Yes a healthy dog should be looked for and not one from someone who does no health testing, along with a guarantee. It is clear yes to see what breed is the most dominantly owned by people, however, it is also clear to see which ones are bred back yard and also have the most health trouble. Which ones are a dime a dozen and which ones you see for free often. Do the math, do your home work, get some guys to take you out and see what the different breeds can offer you land and water, Then picture which one you really can have in your house. That way you will have an educated decision and not one based on "Little Jimmy says his dog is the best, OH Boy" smile get out there.

I am a lab guy through and through....and both mine are house dogs and have free range of the house. Remind me to post a pic of the canister from our Dyson Animal vacuum after a few days of not vacuuming....something to keep in mind!

We also have 3 cats (which I am looking for new homes for BTW!!)...so that adds to my battle a little, but not as much ad the labs.

I know there are a few versatile breeds that are intriguing to me as well.

I know... I know... at times I would swear my dude shouldn't have a drop left but he manages to squeeze out one more squirt to let his buddies know he was in the neighborhood crazy

I laugh when he lifts his leg and stands there for awhile, but nothing happens. Should have paced yourself buddy. smile

I would have to say a Lab is your best all round choice.

1.Labs - pretty hyper and needy puppies, best family dogs least training needed to make a decent hunter- too playful when young while hunting.

2.Then maybe a GSP second - great training makes a great bird dog, find a good breeder tho, lots of imbreads.

3.Springer - hyper - but all business in the field, decent duck dogs if needed.

4.Brit, really really good early season pheasant, seemed the easiest to break, most delicate (my opinion) seem to get the coldest and break down.

The lab is going to be the only one that can do everything, pheasant, duck, grouse etc. Obviously guys have Brits that will duck hunt...and labs that will point but you cant count on it. There will be exceptions, but any lab can do all three areas.

Here is my experience this year. It was my 48lbs labs first full hunting season and I got her next to as many dogs as I could. All of these dogs are owner proclaimed, best dogs ever.

I hunted along side many different breeds this year. The Chess, was a pretty cool, powerful dog, stubborn as can be, and there are big problems if another dog thought it could be the alpha. Might have issues with the boxers.

Brittanys, good upland, had both good and bad traits while pheasant hunting. early season was a blast, but late season, if you dont have a really good one, you might get a little frustrated. The 3 I hunted with were all territorial, and would bite at the other dogs if a bird was down. It was very annoying watching them chew the ice off from between their toes too. They were all hard workers, but were a little delicate in the end.

I have hunted with many GSP's and these are the most hit or miss dogs I have ever seen. Either really good or terrible. I would have an ecollar with these dogs as they are the fastest dogs I have ever seen. The biggest downfall I have seen with these dogs is their running and chasing. But when you get a good one, pheasants are a blast. I have hunted grouse with a couple too, and they did just fine.

Springers, I was very surprised with the springers this year. Next to the lab they seemed to work the hardest to please. they held up and were great pheasant dogs in the early and late season. they are a bit squirrelly though and hyper, but it seemed like once you got them on the field it was all business. The springers seemed to get along the best with other dogs too.

Also if you fish, Labs seemed to be the best in the boat. It takes a year to break them in though. The 2 brits that i have had in my boat, almost got thrown in. The high pitched wine and yipping was too much for me.

I have been around britts for 36 years. Territorial is very uncommon if fact most will back away from another that wants a retrieve and move on to the next bird. In my 10 yrs of dog training I have seen very few dogs that are both delicate & territorial, it just doesn't happen much. As for ice balls between the toes this is common for many breeds & can be easily taken care of by trimming the fur in between the toes. Which if you know how to do properly is quick & easy. I agree late season can be hard if they get wet. Pheasant hunting this time of year with a pointer is a blast. Birds hold tighter during or after a snowfall. Seeing a pointing dog, point rock solid and then having the snow explode as you flush a rooster is a real rush. This thread is always going to be very opinion based. All breeds have good & bad traits, that is one of the reason you need to go with a good breeder with experience with their dogs. A breeder should be able to help you deal with trouble spots as they happen & even many times before they happen.

Yah, I thought it was weird that the Brits were kind of mean to the other dogs. 3 dogs two different owners, both cases the owner had a house dog at home as well. Not sure if having a mean little ankle bitter living with a dog can have an influence or not. It seemed they broke down, mostly due to the thick cover we were in. Too thick to crawl throgh, too high for the smaller dogs to jump over.

Definitely find a good breeder. Like I said, I did have the most fun behind the Brit in the early winter.

]The lab is going to be the only one that can do everything, pheasant, duck, grouse etc.

Are you kidding me?????. You must be joking. I invite you hunting any time you want, Just tell me what bird you want to hunt for the day.I promise I will let your dog have at least 1 retrieve. grin

britts seem to get coldest faster cause most people that have them keep them inside all the time. My 7 month old French britt will hunt all day outside right now and not show any signs of being cold.

cant expect a house do to be worth a darn in a swamp all day, you just got to get them used to the weather.

Kylersk check out myoutdoortv.com click on hunting and view the Dogs Life series. They have short vids of different breeds working and talk briefly about the history of the breed. There are quite a few different breeds to see.

First you just have to decide what you would prefer flusher or pointing type breed. I've hunted behind both and enjoy a pointing breed more. But if killing pheasants and retrieving ducks were my main hunting objective then I'd own a Chessie. That's my personal choice for a number of reasons.Even after 2 rough seasons with an inexperienced versatile dog, I wouldn't go back to a flusher.

If you are not in a hurry and interested in a versatile breed, the NAVHDA training days start in April come check'em out.

I wouldn't worry about the 12 year commitment thing. Most dogs do fine in the house if rules are inforced and the pup is taught manners. What's O.K. in my house might not be in yours, it doesn't really matter. Thats the beauty of it, we can choose what's best for us.

As stated before do some research and take your time. Enjoy what you learn, then make a somewhat informed decision, and have some fun.

I am also trying to decide between a lab, springer, or german shorthair. I do about 80% pheasant and 20% waterfowl. My dad has a black lab that we hunt with, but she is 11 this year and we will need another hunter starting next year. Can a springer or gsp handle retrieving a goose, or am I better off sticking with a lab? I would like a dog that is a little smaller than my dads lab. She is 75 pounds, shes not overweight, just a big dog. I read that the average female lab is around 50-60 pounds, is this true? That sounds a little small to me but im not sure I guess. Also are labs known to have more health problems than springers or gsps? The reason I ask is because the lifespan of a lab is 10-12 years and springer and gsp is 13-14 years. Thanks for any advice.

Come on out to the club and we will show you what some Springers can do. I have a dog that will bring a goose back for you. If you go with a Springer you will want a nicely built male for your Goose hunting desires. My Male is as good as any lab in the water. He swims like an otter. He is about 50 long legged pounds.Here is one of his pups in Arkansas that was purchased to mostly duck hunt. I hunted with ESS for years waterfowl hunting. We raised Labs, short hairs and ESS. I now just own ESS.I just believe for me in MN that they are the most versatile dog for me. I have seen some Shorthairs that made nice waterfowl dogs as well. Most breeds if you get a good dog will be able to provide a dog that is versatile. For some to say one is the only one is just a [PoorWordUsage] statement. Here is Gus at 7 months in AR.

kansas11-10014.jpg

firstduck003.jpg

It looks like the britt and springer guys get a little defensive...

No doubt everyone is entitled to their own opinion. And there definately better dogs suited for better situations. Climate, terrain, and type of game is different in every state and to say a lab or springer is the best in all situations is wrong.

I'm a lab guy and always will be. Mine is with me whether I'm in a slough, CRP field, ice house or boat. Are Chess's better water dogs? Maybe. Are GSP's better upland dogs? Maybe. But are labs the most versitle? Probably.

I don't think they are the best at everything but they definately have to be the most versitle. I haven't seen many Springers used as water dogs (not saying they can't be) but I have seen many Labs as upland dogs. I haven't seen many GSP's retrieve geese either. Reality is Labs are used for a ton of different game situations as the other species are more game specific. My opinion based off of my own observations.

It looks like the britt and springer guys get a little defensive...

No doubt everyone is entitled to their own opinion. And there definately better dogs suited for better situations. Climate, terrain, and type of game is different in every state and to say a lab or springer is the best in all situations is wrong.

I'm a lab guy and always will be. Mine is with me whether I'm in a slough, CRP field, ice house or boat. Are Chess's better water dogs? Maybe. Are GSP's better upland dogs? Maybe. But are labs the most versitle? Probably.

I don't think they are the best at everything but they definately have to be the most versitle. I haven't seen many Springers used as water dogs (not saying they can't be) but I have seen many Labs as upland dogs. I haven't seen many GSP's retrieve geese either. Reality is Labs are used for a ton of different game situations as the other species are more game specific. My opinion based off of my own observations.

My observation is that Lab guys usually always try to say there dogs are the best or the most versatile. Is some one going to argue that, I guess so. smile