• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Coons with a bow... anybody done it?

Laska

I know its deer season n all but Im thinking of raccoons too, anybody shoot them or had the same thoughts when in the woods? Im thinking of getting a full body boone hat made outta one or two... Just for fun... What broadhead would you recommend for them... Their fur is suppose to be the best right now from what I hear...

It's messy and nasty, I'll tell you that. Unless you really want that hat, or would like to clean the broadhead afterward, I'd just watch them pass. I took a few out of our yard during season while raiding our bird feeders. No more. Now I just thump them with some judo heads and they stay away for ahwile. You could try that if you wanted and not have to deal with the consequences!

haha yeah the winning and howling mixed with the mess might be a bit much... but a head shot might be ok, and if i miss he wont come right for awhile smile win win right... too bad nothing goes according to plan...

No coons for me but about 2 weeks ago a stuck skunk that came right under my stand. He didnt smell while we were in the stand, but when we got down he smelt pretty bad. Got rid of him that night and the smell was gone by the morning. I would do it again if i had the chance just cause it was fun.

A friend of mine shot one back when we were in high school from his stand. Bad hit and he had it pinned to the ground, walked up to finish it off, it ended up scratching him up pretty good. He got really angry and stomped on it a few times and was so worked up he hauled it a couple hundred yards just to chuck it out into a lake as revenge of some sort... He came out of the woods pretty late that night. I teased him about that for a long time. :P

I head shot a coon about 3 years ago as it was crossing the river on a log. Pretty good for a broad-head and no rangefinder. My buddy said it was a stupid idea because if you don't paralyze or stick into the log/ground like I did they will run off with your arrow. It was the fattest coon I've ever seen and he was the 4th coon I saw that afternoon and I wanted to skin him out...Got out to get him after dark and he had no tail. Sad day, I wouldn't have shot if I noticed he didn't have a tail but too late after the arrow is released.

I think you'd have one ticked off coon if you shot him and didn't finish him with the shot. Better hope he didn't see you either. I could see them coming after you arrow and all. I've shot a coon 4 times in the head with a .22 and it still had energy to come after me.

I thumped a racoon with a judo point once at our birdfeeder and he turned on his buddies and growled and they all erupted into an all out mele, growling and tossing one anthoer through the leaves as they sped off into the woods. One of the funniest things I've ever seen. I also thought I took out a possum once with a muzzy. He ran off into the woods, arrow and all straight through the middle. He came back a week later with a nasty scar on the side!