• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lowrance GPS 3500c /Parts and Customer Service Review

I just got off the phone with Lowrance customer service and came away very disappointed. My 3500c has been acting up for the last year or so (turns on by itself if left plugged in, also goes wacko at times flashing screen, beeping, can’t turn off, etc. etc.). I thought it time to send it in for a diagnose/repair. To my disappointment I was informed that they no longer stock parts for it and will not accept it for service!? Yes this unit is a couple years old and I expected to have to pay for repairs, but I was not ready to be told it’s basically a piece of junk. I’m not a wealthy guy and buying a new $500 unit is out of the question. Also the rep I talked to was very cold and blunt, no help what’s so ever.

Time to go separate ways with Lowrance………………..when I get the $$

ya its shame the company has gone to $hit

i spent over 1000$$ and they are both junk and i dont have alot of extra money to be buying more toys..thses are only 3 yrs old one never really worked from the start (my fault not gettin it repaced)

i have to old lowrance flahers that are i spose 30 yrs old and still working fine and a paper gragh that probably would work if i could find paper..lol

and now reading your post just reasures my thinkin time to move on

hummingbird.. garmin.......etc etc

Something has happened to Lowrance, and not in a good way. I went through 3 Lowrance XOG's (all replaced for free through the retailer), but I finally had to say enough is enough. Poor reports about Lowrance have become very common, and it seems that they don't care to back up their products.

It appears I'm not alone in my frustrations!

My next step is to see if theres any place (fish electronics, thorn brothers, etc.)that will take a look at it and maybe salvage the unit for another year or two. But if it needs parts I maybe out of luck.

Thanks, Greg

i was told by jim wentworth up here (fish lectronics)

that if you have problems with these new units for the formost you are out of luck

that was a few yrs back though...thats why i hung on to my old flashers

they are kinda like the everready bunny they just keep on keepon

and i understand them so well

i'm just not sure how i am going rig my boat just yet i have all winter to research hummingbird and garmin

confidence to is essentail part of fishing

I have an X102C that is experiencing the same problem. Something wrong with the on/off button. As soon as I plug it in it powers up and rapidly cycles through the various levels of backlighting....

I am guessing I will be in the same boat as you.

I have an X102C that is experiencing the same problem. Something wrong with the on/off button. As soon as I plug it in it powers up and rapidly cycles through the various levels of backlighting....

I am guessing I will be in the same boat as you.

I had the same problem with my X102C. This a design flaw. Too many people with the same issues. Mine had been used less than 30 times and all ways stored in the house. Winter or summer. Lowarance does not care about their customers. Numberous calls emails.

Remember, Lowrance got acquired. The quality and design problems they had in the past might be the reason they were amenable to being bought.

The new owners don't seem to have much interest in dealing with problems left over from before the acquisition. I don't know if contacting them via their web page or their social networking presence would make any difference but it might help.

I have a couple of units that still work, but I am not exactly thrilled with them.

I think it is a stuck or sticky power on/off button, very common. Depending on if the board is bad or damaged, it may be reparable at a regional repair center or local electronics shop.

As the 3500 is considered a "Legacy Unit"...that is another way of saying "Sorry Your kinda Screwed". Screwed as in it is totally up to them, if they they do not wish to help you out. As it is likely way our of the manufactures warranty period.

Unless.. you just bought it new in the past 1 year from a retailer and you have your receipt to prove it...then it is in the warranty period, and should be covered for repair or replacement with another like product.

I posted this link to Lowrance's facebook wall. Got this response

Lowrance wrote:

"The Globalmap 3500c was discontinued in 2006. While we did support it for a number of years after that, we finally had to drop it as we couldn't get parts from the component manufacturers anymore. If this customer had sent his product in for repair a year ago when he first started seeing problems, we might have been able to repair it. Best advice for any electronics product is to have it repaired immediately before warranty or general support runs out. Waiting a year to a year and a half runs the risk of this exact situation."

Now this is a little disenguous because the parts they couldn't get were probably specially made for this line of devices. So when they stopped making them they bought some extra parts. When those are gone they no longer support the unit. But they did read the thread.

Lowrance wrote:

"The Globalmap 3500c was discontinued in 2006. While we did support it for a number of years after that, we finally had to drop it as we couldn't get parts from the component manufacturers anymore. If this customer had sent his product in for repair a year ago when he first started seeing problems, we might have been able to repair it. Best advice for any electronics product is to have it repaired immediately before warranty or general support runs out. Waiting a year to a year and a half runs the risk of this exact situation."

So after 4 years the unit is now considered obsolete and is not worthy of repair. That is really SAD ! Sure glad they are not the only choice because it would be real hard to spend $2000.00 knowing that if it breaks in 4 years it will be time to replace the unit. You would think that they would offer some type of credit for a upgrade or something to at least TRY and keep you as a satisfied customer.

I have the 510c I bought new at the show 1.5 yrs ago.

The thing freezes up the minute it hits milfoil inless then 12fow, I sent it in for repair and they sent it back with a new duecer but it still has the same problems. I'm not wealthy and I cannot afford to buy another unit....not sure what to do! I cant tell you how frustrating it is looking back at $500 machine that blinks half the time.

in a subsequent post I did make the point that that wasn't very long and asked what their intent was with respect to ongoing support. We will see what, if anything, they have to say.

While I am not currently in the market, it is something I will take into account when shopping next time.

Here's my story. 16 months ago I purchased a 7200c($750). This summer it fried on me. I call Lowrance. "I'm sorry your unit is 14 months old and 2 months out of warranty. We don't carry those anymore, we do not even have a refurbished one to sell you. But, for $562.45 we can upgrade you to the new HDS system." I think the 7" HDS' sell for just under a $1000. Now I have $1300+ into a $1000 unit. It's still in the box and I will sell on HSO-Classifieds along with my LCX112c to buy all Humminbird's.

Don't bother sending a complaint either. All you get back is the auto response that they will contact you. 2 times, still have not heard from anybody.

LOWRANCE IS ON THE WAY OUT!!! I had always bought lowrance, not anymore. I've probably owned 12-15 units over the years. Now Humminbird can count on those purchases.

Don't bother sending a complaint either. All you get back is the auto response that they will contact you. 2 times, still have not heard from anybody.

LOWRANCE IS ON THE WAY OUT!!! I had always bought lowrance, not anymore. I've probably owned 12-15 units over the years. Now Humminbird can count on those purchases.

Maybe you should try calling them. I have had great service from them in the past couple month, and gotten through on the phone in a matter of minutes. Once they had to look into something and said they would call back that afternoon....they called me back within an hour.

That doesn't resolve the issue of the 16 month old system not being able to be repaired, but their support is getting better. I know of direct contacts with them on other sites.

I just called them today in regards the the power cord for my H20. She said I don'yt believe we have any cords left so. I guess it's rechargeable batteries until the unit breaks.

I switched my boat electronic's over to Bird and my handheld will also be swirtched to something else.

The gal on the phone really could have cared less.

I would venture to say that when thier sales slow enough and they lay her off, then she might care.

Lowrance has the poorest CS in any industyry. Very sad that they are going from a top company to who knows what.

Not sure why anyone would do any business with Lowrance when you could get a unit and in 2-3 years, you are SOL.