• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A few from Wisconsin

I made a drive up to Crex Meadows on Sunday. I'd wanted to go there for quite some time and after an annoying week, I decided the time had come. There wasn't much wildlife to see, but I did get lucky with the fox. He was very cooperative. I've been wanting a fox for a long time and have always been very envious when seeing Jay's fox photos. The cranes were in the area by the thousands but I saw just 1 hawk and 1 swan. The rest had cleared out.

5139753314_44e93cca41_b.jpg

5139148993_8f1cf44626_b.jpg

5139149107_eb8c40941e_b.jpg

5139753710_7431ef5560_b.jpg

5139753802_dffd834967_b.jpg

5139149379_b0ccb83a42_b.jpg

5139754108_eecd5248d2_b.jpg

5139149451_c0215cd2a3_b.jpg

Thanks guys and an extra thanks for the hawk ID. I had no idea what kind it was. I arrived at the refuge about 3:00, and after driving around for 1 1/2 hours and seeing nothing but Blue Jays and Coot, I was really getting bummed. Then I cam across the fox. I stopped and jumped out and took a couple quick shots. I got back in the car and checked thm out. I was happy, even though there was a branch running thru the middle of the fox, but it was still the only fox shot I had. Lo and behold, he came back out in the open. I got out again and knelt down and started firing away. While I was shooting, he actually walked closer. I had to pull back on the zoom at one point to get all of him in the frame. It was quite exhilarating. If this had been a wolf, I probably wouldn't have been as brave, especially after reading Jay's post. The fox made my 620 miles well worth it.

Okay MNShutterbug, I just realized who you are. Did you just drive there for the day?

I changed my handle a couple months ago. I got there at 3:00 on Sunday, stayed overnoight in Grantsburg, hit the refuge again before sunrise, and headed back about 10:00.

To be honest, I cant say that I have seen many Sharpies up there. They very well be there, I dont often go exploring in the spring though. My cabin is on the west side. More between Crex and Gov Knowles state forest. Shoot me an email in the spring and I may have a place for you to stay.

To be honest, I cant say that I have seen many Sharpies up there. They very well be there, I dont often go exploring in the spring though. My cabin is on the west side. More between Crex and Gov Knowles state forest. Shoot me an email in the spring and I may have a place for you to stay.

From what I understand, sharpies are there but the numbers are dropping there and elsewhere. The sharpy is on the logo for Crex Meadows, which is why I need a photo of one, preferably from Crex.

Thanks a bunch for the generous offer. I'll be in touch.

Love those fox images, what great light and the fox's coat is looking very nice!

Count me as jealous.

If you want a guarantee for sharpies, make the trip a touch longer and come up to carlton county for a weekend or a couple of weekdays in April. I know I'll be doing that again! The DNR has a blind set up in a farmer's field and it's a whole lot of fun.

If you want a guarantee for sharpies, make the trip a touch longer and come up to carlton county for a weekend or a couple of weekdays in April. I know I'll be doing that again! The DNR has a blind set up in a farmer's field and it's a whole lot of fun.

Yep, Ken and I got great sharpie pics in one of those blinds on a very frosty morning. We had to pick the blind up and move it 50 yards closer to the lek in order to get usable photos, because the folks situating the blinds were working under the assumption that birders with binocs instead of photogs would be using the blinds. When the few scout birds came in before sunrise, we realized we were way to far away for 400mm and 500mm, even with TCs, so we moved the blind, flushing the scout birds but knowing the rest of them would come in anyway a bit later.

I was very particular talking with the DNR folks on the phone in advance of the shoot, but it was clear the folks I was talking to didn't quite get it. Best to check it out over the phone in advance to get things nailed down! smile

Very nice work, Mike. You gotta love a late autumn fox in sweet light. And now you've got a kick arse avatar, and don't have to rely on someone else's fox images for your promotional items. That's definitely worth the cost of the trip! smile

Thanks for the comments and for the advice on the sharpies. I've never had a request for a fox on a promotional product. I may have to suggest it now. smile However, I now have a request for the sharptail and also a request for a Red-shouldered Hawk. I have my work cut out for me come spring. But, the fox did make the cost of the trip worth it. smile

Steve, you were in a rare blind where they placed it too far away. Most of our blinds have sharpies dancing within 20 feet, and often have sharpies jumping on top of the blinds themselves.

MN Shutter, travel about the same distance as Crex, to Aitkin Co. One of the best blinds we and the DNR have. Great numbers and the blinds are placed in perfect position. When you're up there ask about woodcock as well, as they'll probably have the woodcock flights available for shooting as well.

Visit our site at sharptails dot org and shoot me an e-mail. We can get you locked up with a blind, even one near Crex through the WI Sharp-Tailed Grouse Society if need be.

Great fox by the way!