• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

CO's

matchset

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder why they always ask you to step outside

Part of it might be because they don't know who or what they're dealing with. If they can put a barrier (door) between you and a potential weapon, they're much better off. Not everyone they deal with on a daily basis is a fine outstanding citizen.

Lip Ripper,

Nobody is suggesting violence.

I'm guessing you would just let any LEO walk into your place and do as they so please as long and nothing is used in court? What if charges are never filed? What if they have no intention of filing anything? What if they simply have a grudge against you? What if its a white guy and your blue, or a black guy and your purple? What if its a women that hates men or vice versa. They could have a million reasons for not liking someone. Old and you're young. It doesn't matter.

Who is in the wrong if they are forcing themselves into your house without a warrant or reasonable suspicion a crime was taking place?

Is that OK with you as long as nothing is used in court?

I wonder why they always ask you to step outside

It's a "softball" question designed to get you to say "yes" and also to test your reaction/mood. The more times a person says "yes" the more likely they are to say "yes" to further questioning. So then they'll go on with "are you John Doe", "is this your current address", "do you have an ID on you", "may I see it", "is everything on here current", etc. Then they'll move forward with what they're really after. But that isn't what this thread was originally about...

Lip Ripper,

Nobody is suggesting violence.

I'm guessing you would just let any LEO walk into your place and do as they so please as long and nothing is used in court? What if charges are never filed? What if they have no intention of filing anything? What if they simply have a grudge against you? What if its a white guy and your blue, or a black guy and your purple? What if its a women that hates men or vice versa. They could have a million reasons for not liking someone. Old and you're young. It doesn't matter.

Who is in the wrong if they are forcing themselves into your house without a warrant or reasonable suspicion a crime was taking place?

Is that OK with you as long as nothing is used in court?

I'm not okay with any of the above, but the term "defend yourself" can have a wide definition or interpretation. If a LEO wants to search your home, they are going to do so whether you want them to or not. They'll find a way to get a warrant, and then they'll come back after they provide probable cause to a judge. Until then, kindly tell them that you don't consent to any searches.

If they force themselves into your house, without a warrant, and you resist or "defend yourself", it isn't going to go well. In the case of forced entry without warrant, the best bet is to repeat over and over and over "I do not consent to any searches" to any and all questions until you are able to get your lawyer. "Defending yourself", at best, will get you cuffed and stuffed (probably Tased), at worst........

If a CO would try to forcefully gain entry into my home, after I repeatedly told them they could not, you darn right I would defend myself and my family with any means necessary. My home is my sanctuary, and my wife's and children as well.

In all reality, I would not see it coming to that. If I did something wrong(illegal), they would have already done their homework and would show up with a search warrant.

I think there is to much personal prefrence on what "you" would do and not what the law is. Yes, any CO can come onto private property and check for your lisence and anything within view. No they cannot enter a dwelling such as your home / fish house / garage that is closed / or even a trunk without permission or a warrant...

so after they get you outside

.... can they detain you until they get a warrent?

I'm thinking yes, just like in your vehicle. or if you're in a fish house.

For a home, If you go outside of your home they can then forego any further questions.

I like my front door,....it's there for great defense.

The back door may be a different story though,

Using that may raise an eyebrow. grin

I dont think they can detain you other than checking for compliance to a game law or other laws. To actually hold you while they are getting a warrant would be an arrest.....

Anyway,I agree....I think this discussion really took a left turn.

such as resisting search, violence against a LEO, etc. I sheesh

Resisting an Illegal Search is illegal?

Violence against a LEO? Where did I say anything about that? When a LEO attempts to conduct an illegal search they are a criminal and no longer are afforded the protections that come with being a LEO.

You are free to allow searches of your home and freezer without a warrant.

I refuse to allow my 4th Amendment rights to be trampled on.

And in an attempt to look at this from a CO's point of view, imagine what goes through their mind when they do knock on someone's door only to be greeted by some whack job toting a gun and a twisted perception of their rights. With some of the mentalities shown here, I don't blame them.

There is nothing twisted about my perception.

Also you referring to me as a gun toting whack job is uncalled for.

Your points are no longer valid since you cannot formulate an argument without resorting to name calling.

There is nothing twisted about my perception.

Also you referring to me as a gun toting whack job is uncalled for.

Your points are no longer valid since you cannot formulate an argument without resorting to name calling.

Now you're walking yourself into assumptions in the belief that I was referring to you RRR. Sorry, this was not the case. Although I don't agree with you on the points you made earlier, I was making a general reference when using the term "whack job". You can believe what you want.

My charactization was acknowledging the fact there are people out there who will allow your comment of "defend youself" to reaffirm their belief that it's somehow a good idea to have a gun at the ready in the extremely rare case a LEO would help themselves through the door without a warrant.

Keep in mind there was a case in Southern MN where a civilian thought it would be a good idea to "defend himself" against a situation involving a LEO. Unfortunately this person was shot and killed and the charges against the LEO were waived (if that's the correct term).

RRR, i'm not saying resisting search illegal. Period. I'm just saying that if you look like you have a lot to hide, or are combative/hostile/uncooperative, it sets bells off in LEO's heads and they're going to start wondering why.

I'm not quite sure how inviting a CO into my house (read: giving consent) tramples my 4th amendment rights. Just because they exist doesn't mean I NEED to exercise them.

Just like I support the right to bear arms, but I don't feel the need to pack a weapon everywhere just because the 2nd amendment says I have a right to.

RRR, i'm not saying resisting search illegal. Period. I'm just saying that if you look like you have a lot to hide, or are combative/hostile/uncooperative, it sets bells off in LEO's heads and they're going to start wondering why.

I'm not quite sure how inviting a CO into my house (read: giving consent) tramples my 4th amendment rights. Just because they exist doesn't mean I NEED to exercise them.

Just like I support the right to bear arms, but I don't feel the need to pack a weapon everywhere just because the 2nd amendment says I have a right to.

Funny thing about your rights.

Unless you use them people forget you have them and then you lose them.

I guess I would let the CO in to check out what he wants to as I have nothing to hide.

If you say no, he can call in, get a warrant and then enter. You would then have no time to hide whatever you are trying to.

WE all say they are breaking the law and your rights and all that does is allow the reaL LAW BREAKER TO GET AWAY.

Just my 2c but IMHO I don't think things are as bad as people make them out to be. I'm sure everyone here has received the emails about this group or that political party or this individual is trying to take our guns away. IMO it's nothing more than a bunch of fear mongers using scare tactics.

I do believe that we should belong to atleast one group who supports our interests whether it's the NWTF, Pheasants Forever, NRA or SCI. It's one way to ensure we DO keep our rights. Not to mention being involved in a more PC (Politically Correct) way.

If a person is so concerned that someone with a badge is going to come and bust their door down, you best look at what you did to invite such a visit. Plain and simple, if you don't want to be the next star on the program COPS, play by the rules and you have nothing to worry about.