• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What to do with ice block?

bowhunt

There seems to be two basic options for dealing with the ice block once your spearing hole is cut. The first is to remove it from the hole and then you can replace it once you are finished spearing. The second option is to push the block under the ice and try to slide it away from the hole.

I would like to be able to remove it and put it back when finished, but a leaning towards pushing it under the ice. I am leaning towards pushing it under for a few reasons and would like your input. First, I don’t have a pair of ice tongs and the ones I have seen for sale aren’t very cheep. Second, I am not a very big guy at 5’11” and 150 lbs, and I am guessing those chunks of ice are going to get pretty heavy as the ice gets thicker. I am concerned though because I will be spearing out of a portable and will be removing my house every day so I will be leaving open holes. Let me know what you guys think so I can make an informed decision on what I should be doing.

Thanks,

Bowhunt

Whichever way you decide to go the most important thing to do is to mark your hole. Usually done with a tree branch.

I prefer to pull them out, and I don't have ice tongs, but than again I don't spear out of a portable so I'm not cutting a new hole nearly as often. If it is too big for me to pull out by hand I will chip it into smaller pieces.

If you are using a wheeler or vehicle out on the ice you could drill a hole in the middle of your block, fasten a chain to a bar, drop the bar down the hole, and pull it out with your wheeler or vehicle.

I am not a whole heck of a lot bigger than you are only about an inch taller and 10 pounds heavier and I have pulled ice blocks out that are cut with an 8 inch auger 5x4 and over 20inches of ice with a pair of tongs. It would surprise you how much you can pull out. When it get thicker or if its just too heavy just cut the block in half or in quarters. Its a good investment to get a pair of 75-100 pair of tongs than have to think about someone that got hurt or wrecked a snowmobile, truck, or even lost of life because of not put the block back in the hole and marking it well with a pine bough or large stick. Just my .02.

I TAKE MINE OUT. when your done put it back in, it will freeze up faster and be more safe. i had one go under the ice once and fishin stunk. thats my opinion, i believe it bothers the fish!!!!!!!

I'm with Glenn on this one.

Plus you have cocktail ice!

Another vote to take it out (in one or more pieces) and replace it when you are done.

Like others have said here.

No matter what

1) Mark your hole

2) Don't leave big chunks of ice on the ice when you are done.

It only takes a min to push the block back in or hit the big blocks with a chisel a few times to break them up into small pieces and to find some sticks to mark your hole.

A few min is well worth not ruining someones day... or life.

I R&R the ice as well I will typlically break into smaller pieces when my house has been there a while and if I dont open the hole and move the house I will break upthe block into tiny pieces so snowmobilers and atv'ers dont get hurt. I have taken blocks off the lake also but this is alot of work and yes Spearhead is right cocktail ice but I find it hard to carry around a 3 foot round glass laugh

I believe in pushing it under or putting it back. I DON'T want to have to avoid big chunks of ice anymore while I'm snowmobiling across lakes. Almost hit one last year going perty fast...scary. Mark your hole, or if you leave the chunk on the ice, mark it with reeds or branches.

Jack.

If there is not too much snow, the ice chunks go in my ATV trailer and get dumped on shore.

Otherwise, I bust them up. If I am going to move my house, I will crank it up and let it freeze overnight, then move the next day. That way a curious kid is less likely to fall through if it snows a bit. I also mark with a stick, and put flagging tape on it if I know I can take that back before the ice melts.

IF YOU WANT TO EXCITE THE WIFE DRILL A HOLE IN THE CENTER OF A CHUNK ABOUT 4/5 OF THE WAY THROUGH AND PLACE A CANDLE IN IT FOR A PORTCH OR DRIVEWAY DECORATION. YOU WOULD NOT BELEIVE HOW IT GLOWS AND HOW PRETTY IT IS.

lol@glenn

Gramps always told me it would scare the fish away, so I always pulled it out. Like Merk said, mark it with tree branches, I grab something off shore on my way out if I can.

Or just spear with BnS, he can probably still bench 300# and that block of ice is nothing for him.

In all honesty, it's about leverage, if you can get it half way out you can get it all the way out with a little bit of dragging and pulling. Or bring a spud and break it in half a few times.

lol@glenn

Like Merk said, mark it with tree branches

funny story, a few years back we were out spearing and a couple of guys were fishing not too far from us and we could hear them talking. it went something like this:

first guy "there sure is a lot of musk rats in this lake."

other guy "how can you tell?"

first guy "see all those branches, musk rats push them up through the ice"

we had a pretty good chuckle over that.

I always shove them under. They won't scare the fish. The ice is uneven underneath anyhow, so even if fish constantly swam around investigating their ceiling, which they don't, they wouldn't know the difference anyhow. Try shoving one under when you can still see the chunks through existing ice (before heavy snows come) and you will see just how far they actually glide when given a good push...they end up nowhere near your hole. Always mark your hole well before your leave with a good sized branch.