• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Frank Mazzocco

schmitty3

Pretty tough to come in and replace Woog and Mazzocco, they certainly need some work but I'm sure we will all get use to them in time, hopefully they get a little better as the season goes on. I do miss Woog a little more, LaPanta isn't doing that bad of a job.

Woog and Mazzacco were awesome together. Woog has clearly lost his mind and they are weaning us off him all together though. I still dont know what happened with Mazzacco. Was he fired, contract disagreement. Or what.

He was wat better than Lapanta, but at least Lapnata is a huge hockey fan. better then any one else I could think of.

I really dont like Robby inksmanacowawaskiinski... or whatever it is.

I think Frank was a little to honest to the lack of Gopher effort on some games last year. I think it was a game against UND last year where he flat out said the Gophs were not playing hard enough, and even Wooger winced a little bit.

FSN seems to want homers as announcers, and did not appreciate the critical assessments - even though I think Frank was spot on.

I miss Frank. He was a good announcer. When my daughter was about 3 or 4, I convinced her that Frank had a muskrat sleeping on top of his head. That's how I got her to watch games with me.

Frank was good. He was just a voice and face that you could relate with Gopher Hockey. I have heard that his contract with FSN was up last year and FSN, like most, is making cuts and they want LaPanta to be the do-all for the station. Lapanta is bad, but he will get better or I will at least get used to him or just tune him out. As for Wooger. People rumored that he would just get drunk before the broadcasts or he was losing his mind or whatever. I didn't mind it because they were having fun in the booth and they worked well together.

Chorske is a WIP at best and McClanahan is beyond boring. The best so far has been Gorg. The guy is relatively funny although over the top at times. I know some people don't like the guy, but he sure seems to know his stuff.

Up until 3 or 4 years ago, Frank and Woog were my favorite pair. But they just kind of lost what they had. Some great & funny moments between those two. I don't know what was going on with Doug the last 2 or 3 years, but I prefer to remember the great broadcasting (and coaching) that was his.

I think both Lapantha and Gorg are pretty decent announcers. But they just don't scream college hockey to me like Frank and Doug. And I don't see that changing either. Still, I think it was time for a change.

I also kind of blame the on-ice procuct for their fallout. When the Gophers were playing poorly, which was a lot over the past 2-3 years, they just ended up getting way off topic and not following the game as closely. Might not be an excuse, but I think that may have played into it.

Woog was the worst thing about Gopher hockey, worse than the product the last few yeas. He routed for the other team half the time. It was ridculous to hear him rave a bout how good the Sioux or St.Cloud were. Lapnata isn't great by no means, I would love to hear Wally back on the TV. The best play by play team ever is Shaver and Nanne, in my opinon.