• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

trail cams

stifler51

im looking for a trail cam. Any suggestions that wont break the bank? im getting mixed results, i hopped on cabelas web page and read reviews. Its either they love them and 5 out of 5, or its the worst cam ever and they wont even buy from that company ever again. Ppl say cuddebacks leak, primos just shut off halfway thru the week....ahhh dont know what to believe.

Stifler, if you're not willing to spend a lot of money, then there are going to be some tradeoffs. All of the cheaper models are going to go through batteries fairly quickly, especially if you're taking multiple pictures with flash at night. As the weather gets colder, battery life is going to be affected on most of the cheaper models even more.

The main thing is to get a camera that's fairly easy to set up and gets some decent results. It's a little trial and error in learning to set them at the proper height and in a place that is going to allow the deer to be photographed. 5.0 megapixels will give pictures that will let you know if the deer are active in your area. This is a good time of year to buy as a lot of the retailers are discounting trail cameras. If you can buy two cameras for the same cost as a higher end camera, I'd opt for the cheaper cameras just to give you more coverage. Not to mention, if they don't pan out, then you don't have a lot invested. Trust me, you'll spend more in batteries than you ever did on the camera. laugh Once I figure out my current property, I'm going to buy at least one camera that can run off a rechargeable battery. It's private property, and I'm fairly certain that no one will steal a more expensive camera. Look at some sample pics from cameras on the forums. You'll have a good idea of picture quality and then you can shop around.

All of the cheaper models are going to go through batteries fairly quickly, especially if you're taking multiple pictures with flash at night. As the weather gets colder, battery life is going to be affected on most of the cheaper models even more.

If you can buy two cameras for the same cost as a higher end camera, I'd opt for the cheaper cameras just to give you more coverage. Not to mention, if they don't pan out, then you don't have a lot invested. Trust me, you'll spend more in batteries than you ever did on the camera. laugh

I agree with much of what you said in your post, and you gave good advice about tradeoffs. However, I think the parts I have quoted are hypocritical and don't make economic sense. You hit the nail on the head that battery costs (and gas costs to drive check the camera) will quickly overshadow the costs of the camera. Acknowledging that the cheaper cameras eat batteries quickly (along with possessing many other shortcomings that I've unfortunately learned through experience), I have to say that you are better off buying a good camera - or two good cameras - from the start. Your start up costs will be higher, but in the end the cost to use the cameras will lower the total cost of ownership to a cost lower than by buying the cheap camera to start, and you will likely be much happier with the quality of the camera and the pictures.*

*In my opinion, there is a point of diminishing returns once you hit the $175-$225 price range. You start paying for add-on's and features rather than battery life, picture quality, and overall camera quality.

You can buy alot of good cameras for under $150.

I would look at the moultrie or stealth variety. I have owned 3 wildviews, they were all junk and don't even put them out anymore. 1 actually got stolen, (surprised he hasn't brought it back). You do get what you pay for, but I use 2 cuddebacks and two moultries, when it gets cold, they all go through batteries. One of the cudde's is really easy to use, set the date and time, turn the dial and walk away. The Moultrie's I have alre also very easy using the menu button. You want to make sure your camera runs on at least 4 D batteries, every C battery camera that I owned, I had to change the batteries every two weeks, that sucked. The moultries don't have some of the extras that the cudde has like a cable lock, and the cuddes are quite a bit smaller which makes hanging them easier, but for the most part, I have found the moultries to be a very reliable camera for the price. The father in law has as stealth cam and he also has had no problems with them. A 3.0 magapixel camera will give you great images. Most come with 5.0 now, but don't be afraid to spend less on a better, lower megapixal camera that might be discounted. I wouldn't go below 3 megapixals though. It gets pretty grainy below that and you can't even think about zooming in.

Buy a camera with external battery hookup so you can exchange them when you go to check out the pictures on your memeory card. I also bought extra memory cards so when I go to check the camera, I change the battery with a re-chaged battery, and change memeory cards too!

That way you can get in and get out ASAP. Then I review the pictures on the card later.

Hope this helps! 2c

I have owned 3 wildviews, they were all junk and don't even put them out anymore. 1 actually got stolen, (surprised he hasn't brought it back).

Funny stuff trigger, I bought a cheapo wildview a while back, it has worked about half the time. I've had it way up north for about a month now, if it wrongs me again it will hit the garbage cam.

I have had good luck with my Moultrie's, batteries seem to last forever, the pic quality isn't all that great but I just want to know what is out there, I don't need to win any photography awards.

We were just joking today about them, it's a good thing they are cheap so you can buy multiple cameras, that way you can put two in the same spot, so when one doesn't work, maybe the other one will. That must be the reason they sell them in 2-packs.

I have found that they (wildviews) take great pics, better than the moutlries (which are a little grainy), but they are just too unreliable.

3 weeks so far on a couple primos46. No major problems. Great day pictures. If deer is moving quick at night it can get fuzzy but am pretty pleased so far for the cost. Also if raining or high humidity the a couple pictures were hazy. Started with a moultrie and had trouble with it so went to this and so far so good. Batteries still at 50% after 3 weeks so not terrible.

Northwoods, that's why I didn't major in Economics. grin I was working off the assumption that Stifler wasn't willing to spend a lot of cash without having SOME experience. We can all relate to that.

I do agree with what you said, though, about buying quality will pay off in the long run. The problem is that some of have trouble seeing that when we're trying to get by without having to fork over some hard-earned cash for a camera that's taking pictures of deer! (My wife thinks I'm Looney Tunes already every time I come home and show her pictures.)

How much you're willing to spend at the onset doesn't always mean the best long-term decision.

Bushnell trophy cam. The batteries last a very long time, takes great day and night pictures.

I just bought one a few weeks ago. I've only swapped cards once, but in that amount of time i would've burned through 4 c-batteries in my wildview and gotten 1/4 the pictures. They advertise 1 year battery life with 8 AA's but I cannot confirm yet. The 1-second trigger is also a great feature. For the features you get, I believe this is a great camera for around $200.

I have two bushnell trophy cams as well as an old cuddeback. Its an older cudde as i said so the new ones may be improve but im not too impressed with it i love my bushnells though. AA batteries and they last forever i had it out for 2 months last year and it was still going when i got there and they take wonderful pictures. Also the size of a regular camera so easy to get out there and hang.

As far as camera's go I agree with the 175 to 200 dollar price range, the only exception that I've seen so far is the Primos Truth Cam at 150.00, on sale for 119.99 with the angle bracket for free at GM. I know that we've sold a ton of them in the last month and everyone who uses them seems to be really impressed. A couple of the bear guides from up by Thunderbay are really impressed with them and are running large numbers of them. So far they all have told me it's the best cam for the money. In my experience testing it out in the store it takes great pictures and is easy to set up. That being said I'm a huge fan of the Bushnell Trophy cam, I own a moultrie d40 that is indestructable, and have own one stealth cam that is a battery eater, but takes great pictures. The Cuddeback capture is the easiest camera to operate, and the new line of moultries isn't to shabby either. The only one I'd stay away from is the Wildgame innovations line of cameras. Spend the 175 and up and you'll be much much happier with your camera. Don't get to caught up in the megapixel game, 4 or 5 megapixels is all you really need. Hope this helps.

Nick

Another vote for the bushnell trophy cam. Nothing but good things to say about it in the short 6 months I have owned it. I have had moultries and stealth cams. The moultries seemed to have a slow trigger speed and the stealth cam had the flash go our in less than a year. A few emails to tech support from stealth cam produced no results except that I am now on their weekly email specials list. Nice customer service there!

Great post. My Wildview is about 5 years old I think and starting to peter out. Last week I put batteries in it and couldn't get it to work. Just got the "8888888" screen and eventually left, hoping it will kick in. I will check out some of the cams mentioned here.

Another tip I would have is to get yourself a battery charger and then rechargeable batteries (two sets for each trail cam). So for one camera that takes 4 c batteries, you're looking at about $25 for the charger plus $40 for 8 quality name brand batteries. It's a larger upfront investment but you save money down the road big time. I do notice after about two years of having my cams up all year, though, it's time to replace the rechargeable batteries since their effective life starts declining.