• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Climber Tree Stands

birdswacker

The bang for your buck is a tough question because we all have different budgets, Summit and Lone Wolf are usually at the top of the list and are both quality stands.

I loved and used a summit for years but this year I upgraded to a lone wolf and i was amazed at how much better of a hunting stand it is. I have the hand climber which might give up a few extra ticks in comfort but the thing is rock solid and extremely quiet, I can often get setup and climb a tree with very little to no sound and that is huge for me. It is also very compact and easy to pack in. Those lone wolfs are the most expensive but in my opinion they are the best bang for your buck if you are serious about hunting deer.

Its really not hard at all, I usually put my forearms on the seat and lift my base up with my legs, it doesn't hurt to be in at least half-azz shape because your abs will get a good work out but I have a small beer belly and manage well enough. I climbed this way with my old summit as well, it was open in front. You are also a little closer to the tree when you climb so when you lift the lower section up it makes it a little easier to put one foot back to help balance while you move the top section up. Watch the video that comes with it, they take you through step by step.

I just watched the video on there HSOforum and looks like they added a new feature strap just for that stand to make it an optional sitting climber, check it out, it may help you out with yours.

thanks for your .02

mr

Bear55,

one more question I've seen two different overall weights #14 and #17, which is the realistic weight for this climber? I like how it compacts down to only 2.5 inches when on your back, another reason to make the switch.

Sorry for stealing this thread, I'll jump out or start my own.

mr

Just bought my first climber this season summit viper most comfortable portable stand I have sat in, good platform size, and also climbs very easily also more stable than I would have expected. Overall very happy with the purchase.

Bear55,

one more question I've seen two different overall weights #14 and #17, which is the realistic weight for this climber? I like how it compacts down to only 2.5 inches when on your back, another reason to make the switch.

Sorry for stealing this thread, I'll jump out or start my own.

mr

That is right they do have a strap to sit on, mine came with one but I didn't use it because I can usually climber faster the other way. I emailed the company and they said its 17lbs, the 14lbs listing was when their first came out but they made a few changes to the newer versions. The stand is super compact and really is 2.5 inches on your back, its kind of crazy how small the box is when you get it.

Summit or Lone Wolf. No other options really.

They are both great and both have some slight advantages/disadvantages over the other. So it depends what you are looking for in certain aspects of the stand. Overall, you're getting a very good stand with either.

For the record, I have several Summit climbers, in my opinion, you won't find a more comfortable portable stand.

Summit switchblade, or a Lone Wolf. The switch blade is new this year, it took the place of the braoadhead packer. It folds down flat. I have the broadhead packer and really like it. I wouldnt buy any other, they just stick out to far off your back. In my opinion.

I'm thinking about selling my Summit and getting a lone wolf hand climber, how hard is it to climb vs. sit and climb??

mr

You need some good upper body strenght.

In regards to the climbers, I agree the Lone Wolf ones are the top of the line. They are so quiet and easy to use.

I can say with a stright face that the summits are extremely comfy so if you want comfort in a climber I have to give that to summit. Hopefully I'll have a LW to see if that's compareable but right now I'm not sitting for more than 3-4 hours max so a comfort comes second on my list of requirements.

mr

Yep its hard to argue with the comfort of a Summit, heck its more comfortable then any permanent stand I have been in. I haven't sat in the the Lone Wolf sit and climb but I think they tried to base it off the Summit seat so it should be pretty comfortable.

Bear55,

Yeah, I would have to agree with you on the LW design mimics the summits.

Don't worry CA it's yours if I can find a smoking good deal on a new LW. The cheaper I find a LW the cheaper you'll get my summit for.....so start looking for me!!! :o)

mr