• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hanging Deer Stands

juniordo1

I just thought I'd ask what everyone thinks about hanging deer stands. I've got a 2 man ladder that stays out all year but I found two spots where I want to put my portables. One of them is going to go where I believe I saw the big boy last weekend (I only saw his huge body).

My questions are these: What time of day will you hang a new portable during any season? Do you/have you ever hung one in the dark? I ask because I won't get to camp until after dark Friday night. The path to the tree I will use is pretty clear and access is quiet. I have to walk a long ways next to the fence which holds the food so I thought after dark might be a good time as I won't be a beacon for the deer to see. My stand won't be near the fenceline so I can use a lantern when I get to the tree.

Your thoughts?

Any recommendations?

my suggestion is to be quick and quiet and the best time to do that is conveniently during high noon, you can see what your doing if go at night more likely the deer will be out in the feed eating and get spooked or educated. Be patient just go the next day during the day and when there back in there beds, even better right before it rains so to wash off any scent left behind.

that's my .02

mr

my suggestion is to be quick and quiet and the best time to do that is conveniently during high noon, you can see what your doing if you go at night more likely the deer will be out in the fields eating and get spooked or educated. Be patient just go the next day during the day and when there back in there beds, even better right before it rains to wash off any scent left behind.

that's my .02

mr

The problem is that during the day they come off the neighbor's field and lay up in the woods near the edge of the field. I jump deer along the fenceline every day. Last week when I saw the big boy it was 9:30 AM and he was 100 yds into woods from fence line standing on a deer trail that runs parallel to the fencline. I'm probably just going to have to wait to hunt this spot. I'll probably hang the stand this weekend and try it out in two weeks.

As said above, hang it and sit. Your stand is full of scent from hanging it, but don't worry about it because you are going to leave scent just from walking in day or night. I would never hang a stand at night, to dangerous!!!! Go up now and do it or wait and stand by tree on opener morning and wait for sunrise. Be safe and have a good time, trips to hospital can really kill the mood and season at deer camp.

I would hang it the next day. If you must do it the night before, have someone spotlight you're clearly seeing what you doing. I'm not sure I would do that during bowseason but during gun season all bets are off. I once watched my neighbor erect a huge tripod stand at midnight the night before gun opener by the light of his pickup lights and then shoot a huge buck the next morning from it.

It really depends on were you are hanging it. If you are going to be near there bedding areas Then you need to hang it when they are feeding the same holds true if its near there food source. That said I hang stands all the time in the dark. Have a good headlamp and if possible bring someone along just in case of a slip(do not have person with you who is standing on the ground shine a light up at you! every time you look down the light will be in your eyes) and ALWAYS wear your harness.

Thanks for all the great opinions/advice!

I think I'm going to play it by ear. I'll wait and see what the wind direction is and see what the neighbor's field holds when I get there Friday night. I may not get a good idea what is in the field though because it looks like we won't have the bright moon like last time out.

I have had good luck bringing a stand in with me,hanging it then hunting right away. Most of my bucks have come from a fresh stand brought in that day.

Same here I hunt mobile, slip in hunt and get out and move to the next spot. Those bucks can pattern you really fast if you hunt the same location day after day or even week after week.

The first sits in a new setup will almost always provide the best results. It doesn't take long for mature deer to pattern you. Even if you think you sneak in/out in the clear, your scent & disturbances remain and the deer will key in on it. Like the guys mentioned, if at all possible hang your stand in windy/rainy conditions preferably while the deer are bedded or feeding out in the fields.