• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Early scrape activity

tunrevir

I was out this past weekend and noticed on 2 different occassions and on 2 different pieces of property that there were already scrapes on the ground. I don't normally see this activity untill another couple weeks. Anybody else run into fresh ground scrapes yet?

Tunrevir~

Right on Donbo, I realize there are some spots that get activity year after year and 2 of the three spots I saw these scrapes were where I see them in years past but not typically this early in the year. Nice to know there are a few bucks prowling where I am hunting. Anyone else see any early activity? I also found some fresh rubs and I mean fresh as the tree was still wet and weeping and I was enthused by the fact that three of those trees were 3-5 inches in diameter. I have the fever right now and it is only going to get better(worse) as the month progresses grin

Tunrevir~

I agree DonBo. I see these early scrapes early every season and pay no attention to then at all. I figure they are smaller bucks marking the perimeter of what they believe will be their rut territory.

I wouldn't rule them out totally some times they are the peice of the puzzle you have been missing. I use them to pinpoint a bucks travel route to and from bedding also useing the rubs to co the same

I found some scrapes in ND on opening weekend. Two and both were big, needless to say that is where my buck i shot came from, 155in 8pt.

Also set a trail cam on one about 1.5 weeks ago, had 4 or 5 small bucks checking them everynight and one nice one. It seems to be a little early, but thats fine, the more they are moving the better chance of tagging one.

I found some new scrapes this week and they went from the size of a hubcap to about a 3 foot circle in two days, licking branch and all. I also found 4 rubs, smallest tree was about 8 inches and the largest was 17 inches. They are not completley tore up but they are definately rubbed hard an in a nice straight line going out to the fields. Now if I could only find where he is bedding!!!

both bucks and does make scrapes through out the entire year I have two scrapes that are kept open the entire year both are near food plots. On another note remember we are only a couple weeks from the first does coming into estrus during that breif period in mid october when a few of the old does come in early.

I simply do not and have never hunted scrapes.

I find the does during the rut and the buck will not be too far away. It's worked good for years.

Year after year I find perimeter scrapes in the same edge of the same woods and have for a long time. Just like some trails in the woods.

I haven't ever really hunted over scrapes. Maybe by chance if they were in the area. I've read a few articles saying 85 percent are made at night and the best chance you have of seeing a buck over one in daytime is a small window during the rut. That said, I have to agree with Harvey, I look for where the does are. I've started hunting a few field edges where I've only seen does but I'm fairly certain, if precedent holds true, there'll be bucks as well later next month. So I'm treading lightly on those spots.

I originally posted this because I have been seeing scrapes earlier then I normally do at this point in the season and was wondering if others are seeing the same ramped up activity with regards to scraping. As far as hunting over them, I don't and tend to hunt doe core areas and tend to wait to hit those spots hard untill later towards the rut. I am thinking the rut may be a bit earlier this year due to the early activity, the full moon of October and the fact that spring seemed to be about 2 weeks earlier. All of this may well be wrong and I realize that the rut is triggerred by photoperiodism but I just can't help but wonder if those lull weeks just prior to the rut will be earlier and if the rut will be more intense and prolonged this year. The acorns also seem to have fallen early this year although there is still a good amount of mast dropping while I have been in the woods. I have seen the deer gorging on the greenery right now maybe waiting to hit the mast hard untill after the greens die back. Thoughts?

Tunrevir~