• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

when is the best time to winterize boat?

mrpike1973

hi all just wondering when is the best time to put the boat away. i like to be out as late as i can. however i dont have a heated shed so doing wheel bearings and draining lower unit oil can be hard. what do you guys do. also if i do all this now and go back in the water wont i run the risk of getting water back in the bearings moter etc just wondering what ya'll do thanks

I winterize mine after my last trip of the year. I don't fish rivers, so this is usually late Oct or early Nov. I bring it home, clean it, wash it, then winterize it. If it's especially cold and well below freezing, I will do as much as I can in the garage with the baseboard heater cranking.

I do agree that for the lower unit especially, you want to change the lube right before going into storage. No worries about water inside.

i have for the last 3 yrs

just as advertised

still purring and starts before i have the key turned

boatfixer

i was concerned bout that gearcase myself

but was told not to fret

its 3 yrs old now so i'll have them do their thing this fall

and i think its good for another 3

its kinda like everyready bunny

just keeps om running...........lol

I'll do mine after Thanksgiving and before X Mas. Run the last couple tanks with Sta Bil, fill tank after last use, drian water out of motor. cover and wait till spring. I hate foging so never do it on my boats, we'll see how the sled does come Dec if I fog it again or not. I might even find a place indoors to store the new boat this year.

Everyone is WWWAAAAAAYYYYY too paranoid about the lower unit lube. The danger is only if there is water contamination that is extensive enough to cause an issue with freeze expansion.

If needed, change the lower unit lube any time between now and the last trip.

Then before putting away for the winter, check again to make sure the lube is not milky from water contamination. If the lube isn't milky than you're fine. It only takes a percent or two of water to turn the oil milky but it takes like 10 or 20 percent to cause a failure due to freeze expansion so if it isn't milky there's no chance of an issue with freezing.

Also the only way the lower unit gets water in it is if one of the two shaft seals is leaking. If it's milky once, it'll get milky again soon unless the shaft seals are replaced.

Lower unit draining and refilling should be done only on a 100 to 200 hour basis. If you didn't put 100 hours on the boat this year and the lube isn't milky, then don't waste the money changing it.

Pretty sure the water issue was made clear by several. Most manufactures recomend 100 hours not 200. If you put 100 hours on it, the cost of new lube is infinitesimal in comparison to the amount of gasoline you ran through the engine. Change it.

There is also a shift shaft seal and bearing carrier o-ring as well as the drain screw washers that can allow water to enter the case. And thats just on outboards. Stern drives have a couple other places to. Who can be 100% positive they didnt pick up any fishing line?

To each his own I guess.

i check for constantly for line myself

i think the point he was trying to make was

alittle bit of water or milky colored grease isnt going to

blow you lowwer unit apart

if you have that much water in there you need to do some fixing

i know on my old motor i went several winters without changing it in the fall

never had an issue

i'm not saying thats a good policy to go by

maintenance is always good

Sorry Greg but I have to laugh. You seem to have such a love affair with your E-tec. I figured you would pamper your precious, beloved E-tec with regular, tender, loving maintenance.

The manual doesnt say that I have to give my loving wife of 13 years occasional back rubs, candle lit dinners and pampered sessions at a spa, but I do it anyway.

Keep in mind Greg this is all in good humor!!!!

i would think that if you have a lower unit with milky lube in it, regardless if it is a little bit milky or all water, there is an issue. Changing it and running again only to have water contaminate the system in my eyes is a waste of lube, time, and money. Would you allow a differential on your truck to run with milky lube? Engine oil? why the lower unit?

lol

dont think i've ever had one gf for as long as you have been married

good for for you on that point

new gf i do pamper and she loves to fish

so maybe we'll make as long as you have

we have a rv at reichens just north of the gosh dam

and we love going there (stop by if you are up that way that yar craft w/the e-tec hangin on the back is parked there.. we're easy to find.. always cold beer on hand )

i take care of stuff but i dont over do it

unneccasarly stuff i think some get to carried way

i had my last boat for just short of 20 yrs and that boat didnt owe me nothing when i sold it

it was the only thing i've ever bought that was 10 times better than salesman said it would be

i lucked out on that deal didnt really know what i was buying

but it was a glass 17ft tiller (crestliner angler) (60hp evinrude) not a real common boat..kinda ahead of its time

but it was real good to me.. lots of walleyes were put in that boat

this boat is a wheel boat alot different but its glass and so far

the E-TEC is a very good motor I could go on and on bout that.. but i think most might me gettin tired of listening to me..lol but thats what this forum is about i guess

you dont see me lookin to re-prop and etc etc

i'm fishin and enjoying the water.....thats why i spent 37k

hopefully no worries on small lakes or big water..i fish wind or no wind

and dont think much of it either weay

guess i should quit here.. few cocktails so kinda long windit......lol

the reason for my edit here is I got to long winded and jeffery snuck in ahead of me and it was kinda meant for BOATFIXER....but just a note on what jeffery said

my truck or truck motor is not underwater a 100% time that is running

so think about the circumstances then wonder if a little dis color is an issue!!!!

as i'm editing this its 11:45 gf taking a shower and its kinda back to BOATFIXER

i'm working on the candles...........lol

you dont see me lookin to re-prop and etc etc

i'm fishin and enjoying the water.....thats why i spent 37k

I still find it funny that you mention this as if you would never have the need to re-prop because the e-tec is so good?

Take your e-tec and put it on a different boat...say one that's a little longer longer and a lot heavier......I guarantee you would need to re-prop to get it running the right RPM's! You just got a dealer that set your up right from the get go, most are not so lucky.

if i was to go to heavy longer boat I'd up the horse power !!!!!

its on a 21ft glass boat now (bout 2300lb i spose)

how much bigger you want me to go

i think most of the dealer set ups should be fairly good

but i'm not sure

i've owned 3 boats and never had to monkey around with props i think its more important to match hp to the boat..to be honest i question that a 150 would be enough power on that big of a boat..buts its fine that alone i think speaks voloumes of E-TEC

top speed is bout 44 on mine on a flat day trimmed out

i spose i could re-prop and go 46 but...who cares i'm not racin

i fish bigger water most of the time so with some wind you are not usally runnin wide open