• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

leave gas in moter or run out?

mrpike1973

is it best to leave gas in boat moter over winter with stabalizer or run it dry and fog it. i've heard both. i usually run it dry myself but i've heard some keep the gas in it over winter. how would you fog it if you still have a gas line hooked up a little confused thanks for the help

This is debated over and over. Me personally? I never worry about it. I've left fuel in my tanks at various levels with and without stabilizers and have never had a problem either way. I don't recall the last time I bought fuel stabilizer. I've kept fuel in plastic bottles that I've mixed for my chainsaw for multiple years and never had a problem. Don't use my old saw too much anymore you see. Same is true for my lawn mowers, tiller, etc. In fact, my garden is small and my tiller probably doesn't go through a tank of fuel in four years of use. I add fuel when it runs out or gets close to empty. Never had a problem.

Am I flirting with disaster? Some would say yes but I've been doing things this way for nearly 35 years.

I also never had any problems leaving fuel in the tank and motor. I have an 05 Johnson 90hp four stroke and I try to run as much fuel out of the 20 gallon tank. So in the spring I can add as much fresh fuel as I can. I have never had any problems yet (knock on wood). wink

I've done both to boat motors and snowmobiles. These days I just put in a full tank of non-oxy gas at the end of the season. The gas won't be "bad" come spring. As for my snowmobile, I've ended up having carb rebuilds when I ran them dry so now I leave gas non-oxy gas in it as well. I haven't had a problem since doing that.

The one thing that I've read is that you should go full tank or empty tank. When you go somewhere in between (especially between empty and half) you introduce oxygen into the fuel tank which allows water droplets to form over the winter. Water + gas = bad.

All it takes is one time out with bad gas, and you learn. I had a problem with water in my gas in the spring one year, and ever since I've tried to be careful.

I run the blue colored Marine Stabil with every tank (fairly cheap and easy). If you only want to stabilize over the winter, I would add enough Stabil for your tank size, then top off with gas just prior to your last trip out in the fall. Make sure the engine runs for at least 10 minutes to run the stabilizer through your engine. You can rest easy knowing this gas is still good come spring time.

I've done both to boat motors and snowmobiles. These days I just put in a full tank of non-oxy gas at the end of the season. The gas won't be "bad" come spring. As for my snowmobile, I've ended up having carb rebuilds when I ran them dry so now I leave gas non-oxy gas in it as well. I haven't had a problem since doing that.

The one thing that I've read is that you should go full tank or empty tank. When you go somewhere in between (especially between empty and half) you introduce oxygen into the fuel tank which allows water droplets to form over the winter. Water + gas = bad.

I don't know what the oxygen would have to do with this but the potential for condensation does exist. This can be even more prominent if the place the boat is stored is subjected to repeated changes in temperature. Cold air is typically dry air and will not hold much water vapor but when the air temperature warms and the humidity climbs along with it you have the potential for condensation. The fuel in the tank will warm up at a slower rate than the surrounding air and so the tank and fuel remain cooler. As the air warms and the humidity climbs the water vapor begins to condense on the tank walls and this is where the water gets into your gas. This same thing happens when you've had your rifle outside during deer hunting and then enter a warm room. The water vapor in the room condnses on the cold steel causing the gun to get wet.

hi all i'm getting a little confused on this. i'm basically worried about my boat moter. the carbs getting screwed up. if i run stabilizer threw it then shut it off with the stabilized gas in it will it be ok. or do i run gas threw it then fog it till it dies then leave it sit empty in the carb. as far as my fuel tank i use a 3 gallon tank when i'm done i pour it out and use it in my mower. i've heard of some just leaving the gas in them. and i've heard some run them dry. if there dry i would think the gaskets would dry out. if i leave gas in it then it turns in to gum. thanks very cunfusing stuff

With what you are saying I'd say the best thing to do is fill the tank and add a stabilizer. Run the engine long enough to be sure the stabilized fuel has filled the carb then shut it down for the winter.

This way, whether you really need it or not, you have the peace of mind knowing that you have taken action to prevent condensation and to preserve the fuel and keep your seals and gaskets lubricated.

I put non-oxy in (helps with the gaskets while sitting for so long), put sea-foam in the gas(I don't worry about the gas level) run the motor for awhile (letting the sea-foam into the engine), then I only fog the spark plugs. While I'm running the motor to get the sea-foam in there, I like to clean out the water pump line as well. Run a hose through the live well and Finally, change the lower end unit, grease anything up and off to storage.

I like to wait until spring to do my lower unit. The reason being that when I drain it, I'll drain any water that may have condensed during the winter storage.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I drain mine in the fall so any water that may be in there is removed and I don't have to worry about freezing and cracking my lower unit.

I like to wait until spring to do my lower unit. The reason being that when I drain it, I'll drain any water that may have condensed during the winter storage.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I drain mine in the fall so any water that may be in there is removed and I don't have to worry about freezing and cracking my lower unit.

Woaa. If you've got it down, seems like a fine plan. If anyone else does this, you HAVE to remember to fill it up again in the spring. Could be a very expensive bill after the first ride at WOT in the spring smile

I guess I've developed certain habits over the years. In the spring I have a routine when the weather gets warm and I get that itch. It includes refilling my lower unit, greasing my trailer wheel bearings, greasing the outboard, cleaning the boat, checking my line, rods, and reels, putting on the earmuffs and firing up the outboard, etc. It works for me.

All it takes is one time out with bad gas, and you learn.

So why bother trying to stabilize a tank full of gas all winter?

Run the tank dry or as close as you can get. Then you don't have to worry about cruddy gas in the spring and/or if Stabil is doing it's job. Come springtime you can then fill'r up with fresh stuff (non-ethanol) and there is no doubt about what is in the tank.