• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice fishing snowmobile

JSK76

My buddy's parents just bought a cabin on L.O.W on the Canadian side out of Morson and we want to do some ice fishing, I have a 4x4 4 wheeler with 4 chains and it works great on the area lakes but my buddy has a snowmobile and thinks I need one too and for up there he's probably right.

I have a idea on what I want but would like to ask what others think, like the smallest cc size you would buy and do I need a long track or would a short track work. I would also like to trail ride it so a Bearcat is out of the question. I will be pulling a otter cabin.

Are you going to buy new or used?

What is your budget?

Mostly trail riding or mostly lake riding?

I used a crossfire 800 last year and it worked like a dream I wouldnt use anything else after using that.

But a indy 440 would work also. All sleds will work for ice fishing but some are better for fishing and some are better for trail riding, you have to figure out which one you will do more of.

Indy 440 liquid cooled is a pretty good and reliable sled...thats about as small for cc's I'd go. Go for a two-up if possible. And is you find one with reverse and electric start, thats a bonus (i'd take reveres over electric start though)...

I also run a Indy XLT 2 up but mines the 600 triple. You dont need that much power and or speed. Its nice when going through slush though.

If I were to buy a sled new for ice fishing it would either be a Ski Doo Skandic or a Arctic Cat Bearcat. Scandic is a work horse and not a great trail sled but the Bearcat is a nice all around sled. Just about any 2 up is a good ice fishing sled.

Get a snowmobile magazine and check out all the different sleds in the 2up catagory. I say 2 ups because it seems your always pulling someone else out and towing 2 houses. Plus it saves on cost of another sled when the wife wants to go for a little ride.

There are tons of sleds that will work. Even singles seaters if you will never help anyone with a ride.

I recomend studded tracks for ice fishing because it seems your always in some slush or at times bare ice.

Someone recently had a 2009 Ski-Doo Tundra LT for sale on (minneapolis area) recently that would be perfect for this. Longer track with 550 fan motor which has been pretty much bulletproof. Also has a very large storage rack on back for extra gear. I believe it also had an optional 2 up seat as well. This of course is going to be pricier at $4500-$5000 but a very good all around sled.

Another brand new sled to consider which is reasonable in price is the Yamaha 250 Bravo which are now available again. The single cylinder 250 CC Yamaha motor has also been highly reliable for years. This sled also has a longer track. Not much of a trail sled but very reliable and light weight. I think new they are going for around $4K brand new.

Any sled with a hitch is better than having no sled at all. wink I am going on my third year with my Arctic Cat T-660:

full-18196-2509-t_660_resized.jpg

In 2008 I had accumulated about 5.5 (plus parts) snowmobiles from the late 90's and early 2000's. Parted out the junk ones, sold the running ones and bought the T-660. Best thing I ever did. I actually look forward to traveling around on a frozen ice cube now. grin From remote start, reverse, 4 stroke Suzuki that has yet to not start even 203-30 below, to heated driver and passenger everything & more. "Bring on ice" is all I can say. grin Just nice having the two-up seat and one as comfortable as the T-660 offered. Yep, that buddy that has no sled can be a last minute contact when going for the "Gold" at a moments notice.