• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fishing line for UL rod

Carpenter

What fishing line works best? Something that doesn't twist all the time or require changing every month or two. If I have to change, I'd rather do it every year. I've been using fireline crystal on my bigger rods, but didn't know if that's a good choice for crappies/sunnies.

Thanks,

I use the red box trilene in the 4# test and I do alot of casting and I rarely have a problem. If I do it is usually that I spooled to much line on and then I take a bunch off and problem solved.

4# fireline is the best... it's a little thin, and with no stretch it's a good choice for a UL rod. I've got #4 on my 7'ultra light and the thing casts a mile and a half grin

And with fireline, you know you won't have any problems with line twist.

The thinner the line, the more often you will have to change it. That's just the nature of the beast. I actually use my ice fishing lines for UL fishing. Fireline crystal has been my primary use. I've been switching over to ASSO fishing lines and have had wonderful success with it. 4# test ASSO Flourolight has been able to handle cranking for spring season white bass and walleyes and will still be seeing some more ice. Well it will be seeing some fall crappie first though.

A lot less twist with reverse tang or just plain no-collar ball head jigs.

Normal up tanged jigheads have too high a center of gravity and no keel;

They twist way too easy on any but the slowest retrieve.

A lot less twist manually closing the bail.

Do not reel against the drag.

A quality reel helps, too.

Spool your line with the sun over the top of the supply spool to the right,

widdershins gets the spool curse-ed, and the line twisted. smile

GAMMA Copoylmer for line hands down. 4# summer 2# winter.

I typically will run 4# Trilene xl but do like the sensitivity of the fireline crystal depending on the fish in the area and the conditions. I used the 3# trilene microice with decent success and it seems to be abraision resistant and stronger then the Trilene xl.

Tunrevir~

4# fireline is the best... it's a little thin, and with no stretch it's a good choice for a UL rod. I've got #4 on my 7'ultra light and the thing casts a mile and a half grin

And with fireline, you know you won't have any problems with line twist.

+1 Jim. You can not go wrong with fireline.

Sniffer

6# Vanish.. and 4# PowerPro

I put Crystal on my spinning rod.. absolutely hate it.. left me having to strip off about half of what i put on because i ended up with back to back to back bird's nests.. back to PowerPro i go